Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Tim, It's always great to see you, and the salt was no exception!

The truck sounded mean! 5 mph increase is great, and I know you'll hit your 150 goal.

2. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

tim i love the vids just wish i could watch the tach as you run that thing just humms and i have worked on some ys they might turn 5k if your trying to be mean to them

3. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Nice, Tim. That is me talking to Nathan in Inspection (battered pith helmet) and my daughter next to me. Her first time--she worked the T Shirt Trailer. I talked to you very briefly, but you were super busy. I still have questions about a Y Block 4-banger, but maybe I`ll wait until racing season is over to call you.....

4. Someday when I get a GoPro to work in there we'll have a wide angle and you can see the tach run up to 7000. ;)

I remember you! Y-Block "Banger" is hard to forget.

5. Just found this yesterday while going through stuff from Speed Week.

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p4zGRCP5ylE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Great pictures of Bonneville Tim. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and got some good runs in with the new engine.
    Do you think the aluminum heads and roller rockers are worth the $ so far ?

As far as Australia goes, you could always build and sell a few Y Blocks like the one you built for me to finance the venture :)

It would be an awesome trip. I always wanted to go down under and see the great barrier reef and all that myself.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. Some Australian footage from last year.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1HX6AbuIU7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/htUXIIJHNgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. 2club

2club
    from California

Tim,
    Thanks for all the great build pix for the 2013 Y-block. Great to see real hot rodders out there doing it like it should be done. Congrats on the 147 mph blast and best of luck in the future. Your truck is bad to the bone, bud. Tell your friends to go have a look at the new story at www.hotrodenginetech.com JB

[​IMG]

9. Great write up Timmer, congrats on the ink..............

10. That is a great write up!

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Did I hear someone say Y block banger?

Attached Files:

12. Damn Rich, is there anything you haven't done??

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Rich.

Some of us where hoping for an update on the injected Lincoln Y.

14. Tedd

Tedd

Tim. That engine is coming on extremely strong between the 2 1/4 and 3. There's still quite a bit left in it. Just need more traction or is there a gearing change in the works?

15. Ted, waiting to see what happens at Elmo. I think I found where the extra power is and a gear change may be around the corner.

16. When is the next run Tim?

17. There is a meet scheduled for this weekend, looks like it may be canceled though because of water on the lake bed.

http://www.scta-bni.org/

18. Yes, it is officially cancelled. Bummer for you guys.

19. Finally got the plaque engraved for the "Y-Block Challenge" trophy. Now the work has begun on the engine to try and keep it this year. :D;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That is KICK ASS!!!

Good luck defending your title.

21. Okay! Time for some updates!

Getting ready for the 2014 season, I finally got my new set of Mummert aluminum heads and they look great. The ones I ran last year were on loan from Ted Eaton and were out of the box CNC ported. This set I had sent to Joe Crain in Texas to do his work on them. Normally I do my own port work but this is the one and only set of heads I have so I sent them to the guy who knows what to do with them. Joe also did the heads for the Rolling Bones engine that Ted built that is approching 190 mph out on the salt. Also I will be doing a cam change as we found last year there was more power on the top end when the valve lash was closed up a bit, more duration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did actually change the cam this last weekend and found the cam from last year had held up fine after 10 hard passes on the salt (30 miles at 6000+ rpm) and a few more out at El Mirage. Running conical "Beehive" springs with 110 lb. on the seat and 300 over the nose very close to coil bind. Only thing I didn't like was that 5 lifters out of 16 had started pitting, over stressed. These are Johnson High Lift and are known to be some of the best on the market. They would have gone on for a good while longer before failing I think but it was not a welcome sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New cam has the same LSA and about the same lift but isn't as Peaky as the one from last year and stays open a few more degrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll be at El Mirage the 17-18th of May and more than likely in June & July, tuning time before Speed Week. See you guys there! ;):D

22. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Do you have any plans for the bottom end or are you just upgrading the upper 1/2?

23. Camshaft and heads, that's all.

24. Glad this thread came back to the top (a reminder for me) ... stained the heck out of my shirt, need to order another one =)

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Speed Week.

25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Tim--I presume the cam timing will be the same--with a little more duration would you run a bit more ignition timing? Heads look really nice.......

26. Ignition timing is going to stay the same but I do play with it a bit. 36*- 38* total is the sweet spot.

27. seatex

seatex

Wow, that's just awesome! Way to go, Tim! that Y sounds fantastic!

28. Wish I was there!

29. Come on over Trent! you can help install and we'll have a few Old Styles. :D