Register now to get rid of these ads!

National Association of Beaters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy45, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

When Gray Baskerville shot the feature on the Eastwood & Barakat '32 sedan he offered it as a prime example of a National Association of Beaters car or one that is driven daily or as much as possible and enjoyed :) rather than a car that is just stored, trailered and shown :mad:. Is it time for such an organization to be formed?? I see lots of cars around the country that are finished to a much higher level and better engineered than any rat rod and are the primary means of transportation for these folks. Most of the big meets I have been to (NSRA and Goodguys) have these cars parked off to the side or confined to the Primer Area. Just curious what other folks are thinking..:cool:

2. I've drove beaters for years,,my sedan is one as is my pickup! HRP

3. I consider mine a beater-

4. Mine is a summer time daily driver.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like a set up from the Cops - NAB

6. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I've personally never owned a car that wasn't a beater.

7. arturo7

arturo7

Where do I join?

What are the qualifications?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, if driving daily is a beater, then I guess mine qualifies. Put 93 miles on it today. Never stopped, except at traffic lights. Felt great.

9. dan31

dan31

A beater is neater.

10. lawman

lawman

We love beaters here in Kentucky !!! Thats why we have the Beatersville
    show in Louisville. It is always packed every year.

11. shotrod

shotrod

I'm going to drive mine till it becomes a beater! And its getting there in a hurry

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Miles Per Month should be one.

13. Clevername

Clevername

93 miles at at least 93F, dude you should be NAB president!

Kelvin

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I know a guy that drives that every day in a '53 Bel Air. It's a car, just drive it.

15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I like this idea, want to drive mine as much as I can, and she is a beater truck.
    Up here so many vintage car owners figure they need a perfect car, body paint etc, all destined for BJ auctions or something. gotta enjoy these ole heaps....

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those guys are doing what they love and that's fine with me. No one way is the only way. I like to drive when ever I can and that's why I built my T Bucket the way I did. The gelcoat body has been destined for paint ever since I got it. It wasn't until this year that I made up my mind it'll probably never happen.

It's got a couple scratches in the body from when I had to remove and install it by myself and that's okay with me. I'm collecting stuff for my next build and it's going slow, but when it's done, it'll be a driver too.

The show car guys are doing what they love. I don't get it and don't really want to. Everyone's got their own groove. It's hard enough to keep mine from skipping to worry about what someone else is doing.

17. jalopy45

jalopy45

This was Gray Baskervilles' roadster that he considered a beater and he put close to 250.000 miles on working as a photographer and editor for Petersen Publishing. Not sure where it is now but I hope it is still driven daily.. , [​IMG]

18. Clevername

Clevername

I love drivin' the 60 Impala to work and wherever, but in the hot summer, it is in the evenings mostly.

Putting in a new wiring harness these days, once the harness is done and the weather turns a little cooler...yeah it's on.

Kelvin

19. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Thanx couldn't agree more, room for all of us in this world of old cars and trucks. Like you, cannot understand the "Show types", but heck they don't get guys like me either

20. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I'm in. It's the only car I got, drive it everywhere I need to go. And oh yes it's turning into a beater for sure.
    T

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I touched up some BIG nicks and scratches today with a paint brush. Looks great, from 30ft.

22. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Wait...you mean to tell me that hot rods do NOT dissolve when they get rained on? Sure fooled me...every car show I go to here in the pacific northwest clears out as soon as someone even thinks they felt a raindrop. Beaters for life!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

I wouldn't know what to do with a "nice" non beater car/truck ... After all 1 tiny stone chip and some of those cars might as well be scrap to hear the owners talk. I believe a vehicles to be driven NOT put in my living room under a glass showcase!!

24. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

I like the NBA idea...wait, isn't that already taken?

Here is my friend's daily driver. It is the only car he owns. It sits out in the rain all day while he's at work; he covers the seats so his butt doesn't get wet when he drives home.

Attached Files:

25. My first car, a '40 Plymouth coupe I bought in '78, was my only ride for a long time. Drove it everywhere in all kinds of weather and I have a photo of it at a Rod Tiques club meeting with a foot of snow on the roof! I'm not able to have a rod now (no garage), but if I did, I'd drive it as often as I could. Why have a car if you aren't going to drive it?

26. I'm in! Currently, the only time that I drive my late model is if I am on a work trip or if I have to haul more than one other person somewhere.

27. The car club I belonged to for 33 years had a period back in the 80's where a small group of those who drove beaters back then formed N.A.A.B.
    National Association for the Advancement of Beaters
    The group was small, and they had a blast driving their primered unfinished cars everywhere.

28. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

beaters are the BEST!

29. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

Baskerville and Ganahl ~ the philosophers who shaped/warped my once young mind. Those guys love cars - period! and are fantastic at conveying and imbuing their passion to the reader. love 'em!

30. krooser

krooser

Do we really need a national club? I doubt it...