Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 I-BEAM or misidentified???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carfanatic, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I picked up this axle today for $40.00 from the junk dealer down the street. I've been looking on the internet for info and I thought I would just come here for the collective knowledge of the H.A.M.B. I was just wondering if I have a 32 heavy axle or just a '32-'36 axle. It seems to be alittle beefier than my '40 and 41's. Center to center of the kingpins seem to be about 50" wishbone boss C to C is approx 36.25" with a thickness of 2" and a machined are at the wishbone boss. Thanks for any and all replies.

2. 117harv

117harv

Sounds like a 32. The area where the wishbone mounts is lower than the surrounding steel, it's level if it's a 33-36.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Post some pictures.

Don

4. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Woops these didn't come through in the first post.

Attached Files:

5. F&J

F&J

Nope that not it....send it to me REAL quick

yes, it is a 32 heavy

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well...with all the measurements and the drop at the ends, that's a '32 heavy.

Maybe everyone's seen too many of the new China Heavy, and are confused.

7. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

So if its a heavy what was it under? Truck? Or a V8 model?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You better go see what else that junk dealer has ! :D

Don

9. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Every time I walk around his yard I see something different. I found that because I saw a wire wheel sticking out from under a piece of plywood. Almost kept walking cause it was all rusted out then I noticed the lug nuts.

10. F&J

F&J

from a 32 passenger car, or a pickup, or a woodie, etc. 4 cyl or V8 both had them.

But not used in the BB 1.5 ton

11. deuceman32

deuceman32

It is a 1932 axle. It could have been under any four banger or V8 powered deuce, car or pickup. We love to call it a deuce heavy as if there was an alternative, but I have never seen an unmolested 32 that did not have this axle.

Very nice score, sir! You have a little bit of a chore to carefully cut those welded spindles off. See if the kingpins will come out and get the backing plates out of the way. If need be, you sacrifice the spindles to save that axle.

12. The rarest of all axles is the '32 light. I've never talked to anyone who has ever seen one.

13. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

So do I ask for '32 kingpins or are 33-36 the same??

14. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

If I make a clean cut should I be able to make up for the missing material with some extra shim washers?

15. deuceman32

deuceman32

Your kingpin selection will depend on which spindles you want to run. If, for example, you wish to use the popular 37-41 round back spindles, then you use the kingpins for those.

16. deuceman32

deuceman32

I wouldn't try that "clean cut", it can get off course really easily, and it is not necessary. In your second photo, I see a weld only at the top of the axle KP boss to the spindle. Is that the only weld on each side? If so, undo the spindle stop nuts and knock out the tapered KP lock bolts, then see if you can press out the kingpins.

If that works, then use a small cut off wheel or grinding wheel to get into the weld bead, leaving a little extra on the axle side and cutting into the spindle boss a little, until you can break it free.

IF you have to clean cut, cut through the spindle bosses above and below the axle boss, leaving a thin slice of the spindle boss in place, then work on the welds. Those spindles are not hard to find, the driver side top steering arm is already cut, and you may not want to run deuce spindles anyway. If you do, I have some.

17. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

There is a weld just like that one on the other end and the other steering arm is cut short and a small weld from it to the axle top

18. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

King Pin type will only depend on what spindles you use.

19. I don't believe there is such a thing...the 33-36 axle was used as a service replacement, perhaps that's what is being referred to as a "32 light".

20. i think he was just kidding

21. Lol, I'm a little slow on the uptake today :)

22. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

deuceman32 If I end up looking for 32 spindles how much would you want for a pair?

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

If it were me, I would cut everything off close, PM 296V8 here on the hamb and see how much he would charge to make it right for you. He's an artist. We sent a jacked up 32 Heavy to him that had some serious issues. The wear from the shackles alone was almost 3/4" deep!! We asked could be make it look like a nice stocker, no drop. When we got it back not only did he fix the shackle wear he put the forging line back in it too!! You can't tell it was ever repaired!! The price was very good as well. Since you got it from the scrapper you probably don't have much in at this point. Have him make sure its straight and the camber is right. Will be a nice axle when you get it back. Something to think about.

24. deuceman32

deuceman32

F-6, that is good advice. He's forty bucks in. I agree that Greg (296V8) would make it right, he has a pair of my axles right now for drop and tune-up. Carfanatic, I will send pm about spindles.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nearly as rare as a 350 4 bolt main that DIDN'T come out of a Corvette...:D

26. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I noticed this stamping on the front passenger side this morning. Is it of any significance??

Attached Files:

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

According to Bruce .. the local expert here
    That is a furnace mark

Some have them some dont ... there are several small differences in 32 axles that iv seen

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen

28. Carter

Carter

It's not a stamping, it's forged in. I think it has something to do with the quality or type of steel Ford used to forge the axles.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. verde742

verde742

I have a pair for $150.00 plus shipping

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Unless you have some particular reason for wanting to run 32 spindles, I would use 37-48 spindles instead. Later hydraulics bolt right on. Only reason I can see to run 32 spindles is if you are going to run mechanical brakes, but I might be missing something.

Don