Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many of us are parts hoarders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 5, 2013.

1. i just collect so at when i begin working on my project, i dont want to wait for the part(s) to come in or have to search for it ....

i been at this for 10 years or so and still search for the correct part(s) ....

2. Nope. I am the opposite. Unless it's something I definitely know I will be using, I won't keep it. Of course, as soon as one gets rid of things they invariably need them. Like right now, I could have really done with a 350 and T400 I recently got rid of. Same with my Jag front. I really think if you have the space for stuff, why not? Space in my garage is at a premium.
    My wife has two entire wardrobes full of Christmas stuff, for instance, which I am not aloud to turf.

3. Hoarding is one of the only things I,m good at...

4. TERPU

TERPU

Ha HA, This topic is a great debate within my circle.

Hoarders Suck period. Collectors who will sell their stuff for a fair price now those guys are Kings.

To me a true Hoarder is the guy who collects every part for everything obssesively and will never part with any of it, will never finish anything, and lets it rot because he can't keep it covered, or forgets where it is at.

We need the Collectors who keep the stuff in good condition and will sell to the guy who will pay the Piper.

I personally approach the situation of a Hoarder and ask once if they will sell a piece I need give them some info on why I need it and what car I have to put it on. Most times this will be sucessful. Not always and the true Hoarders will say no. That's ok it is after all their stuff.

The Collectors often want more money but they have the "good" stuff. So it's worth it often.

The best is watching two true Hoarders fight over a part that isn't worth a shit!

At the end of the day though if it isn't yours and you can't buy it just move on and let it be. After all we all have Stuff somebody else can use but won't part with. For the first time in my life besides the three Olds engines I have there is a spot for everything on the three cars I own, everything else can be bought or given away to Amigos.

So to answer the original question am I a Hoarder? Nope I am a Collector.

All the best,
    Tim

5. TV

TV

Me---------

6. eddy2ray

eddy2ray
    from Arkansas

Have a friend that for 45 years has dragged cars to his home. He now has more than 2400 vehicles and will not sell ford or chrysler parts,anything else fair game. He hoards just about anything to do with metal.

7. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Well any of you fellas that are holding on to this stuff have any 28-9 coupe quarter windows? (model a)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

No, I have enough restraint to buy only what I either need, want, or could possibly use within a reasonable degree of certainty. That said, certain things I do hoard, like particularly difficult to find 57 Ford parts and 58 Edsel wagon tail lights. The main reason behind that is that every nice car I've ever had has been hit before, so even if the insurance company pays me, if I can't find the parts to put the car back together, then the money is no good. This way at least I'll have the hard to find stuff.

9. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I started with cars 55-57 Chevys then got into Harleys while in the Navy.Ezer to haul store whatever. Then back to cars after the Navy. The older I get the old my cars, bikes, parts,stuff gets. The we bought a farm with 3 barns and 2 big grain bins. My wife said you will never fill these up. Since when I have built 2 more big shops and added lean to's on them. I still swear I am a collector.

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 6 327s, 3 283s, one built 301, one 468 BBC, a 401 and 425 nailhead in my garage and no car left I could put them in...Does that make me a hoarder??...
    and that´s only the engines...
    You know, I´m gonna build them/ need them one day. For the time being I´ve put the 301 in my living room, just to look at when TV bores me.... and that´s always, hahaha

Attached Files: