Register now to get rid of these ads!

Relay locations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drw47, Sep 6, 2013.

1. drw47

drw47

I am running wires on my roadster and am wondering where I should locate the relays. I will use relays for headlights, horn and radiator fan..... I wont be running a hood on the car, so everything up front is open to the environment. So do I run them under the dash with the fuse block ? Or try to get then as close to the things that they are running? If I was to get caught in a shower, would they short out, up front??? Where do you have yours????? Thanks

2. Jackson67

Jackson67

I have my fuse block under the seat and that's where I put my relays also

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. You put the relay as close to the equipment that it is powering as possible.

4. Run them under the dash, out of the weather & easy to get to.
    I have all mine inside on the firewall.
    I have seen water get into supposedly "sealed" relays which have been mounted on the engine side of the firewall correctly ( with the terminals underneath), and cook the innards.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

On my 23 there was no room under the dash, so I put all my electricals under the drivers seat.

[​IMG]

But my 27 has a larger cowl section so there was enough room to put everything, including the 4 relays, under the dash.

Don

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd add out of the weather to that along with out of sight on a hoodless rod. .

7. I put mine on the rad support inside an old AC deco voltage regulator I gutted. 2 of them fit perfect, for the headlights. Finally found a use for burnt out regulators that I have been keeping.

8. drw47

drw47

Great stuff, I guess it is under the dash. As for the distance, it is still only 3 feet or so, that should be allright.......Thanks

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

I would put them under the seat.... I hate climbing under a dash of a small car to make repairs. Think towards the future !!!

That setup in the pic Dons posted is ideal. Everything in one area, out of the weather. The only wires running outside of that area go to power stuff up.

I don't agree with putting the relay as close as possible to whatever it is powering. Leads to too much wiring running everywhere!

Done this way (Dons) the majority of the wires are in one spot and only single wires are needed to run to the lights , fuel pump, etc.

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Nice work! :cool:

Inside the cab where it's dry. It's fuses that you want near the source as possible.

11. My electral is under drivers seat

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Sounds like under dash is your best bet; Accesable, yet protected.

4TTRUK

13. I see you use a "Maxifuse" they sure beat fusible link's.

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& if you do mount them where they could possibly get wet, mount them w/the relay up. (prongs down). A good thick coating of SuperLube (clear silicone grease) will not only seal them from moisture, but stop corrosion as well. It's *very* messy stuff, be careful when using it, as about the only thing that will remove it is brakeclean and a lot of it at that. I'm adamant about being careful not to get it on my clothes, as I don't want it transfered via the washer/drier.

FWIW.

Marcus...