Register now to get rid of these ads!

ideas for battery placement model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studog51, Sep 5, 2013.

1. building a model a roadster ( 31 ) on deuce rails and wanna run a rumble seat........ looking for ideas or tips on where to stash the battery ,
    does anyone make a kit for hanging it on the inside frame rail under body or small gel battery or, or haha ????????? any ideas would help... thx

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Look into an Odyssey PC680. They are an AGM battery and measure only 7 x 7 x 3 inches and will start most any hot rod engine. I had one in my 23 and for 3 years it never missed a beat and as far as I know it is probably still working for the new owner of the car.

A friend has one under the dash of his 32 , laying on it's side, I think. You can put them anywhere, mine was in front of the rear axle. Here is how it fit on my 23 where I had NO space for a regular battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I got a small cigar box size under the passenger floor board.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. thx guys, looks like a good fit for under the body on the frame maybe.....

5. I made this crossmember / battery mount for my Model A Tudor. It sits in front of the rear axle and to the left of the drive shaft. I was kind of in the same boat as you as far as space for a battery on my car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378437540.801937.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378437569.026518.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. thx fritz, nice pics... really show the tech side nicely

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Great pictures. Speedway sells a nice drop down battery holder.

4TTRUK

8. Grudge

Grudge

I'm also going to run a PC680. I mounted it (page 5 of my build thread) but my truck isn't running yet so I don't know how it performs.

Do yourself (and the little battery) a favor though if you do run it and put it as close to the starter as possible. It probably works with long cables, but I'd recommend minimizing the voltage drop.

Aaron

9. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Heres my RPU It is a Interstate MT51R 625 CCA I access it from below

Attached Files:

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Are you keeping the gas tank in the cowl? If not, you could possibly mount it up in the top center?

A friend of mine has his Optima battery on its side up in the center of his '30 Coupe cowl. Still plenty of room for gauges, fuse block, wiring, etc.

Malcolm

11. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

That is the one I used in that exact place. Good for over 6 years now.

"Look into an Odyssey PC680. They are an AGM battery and measure only 7 x 7 x 3 inches and will start most any hot rod engine. I had one in my 23 and for 3 years it never missed a beat and as far as I know it is probably still working for the new owner of the car.

A friend has one under the dash of his 32 , laying on it's side,"

12. cayager

cayager

those odysey batteries look good. i wonder if they would turn over a high compression engine?

13. dan31

dan31

I had a pc680 but I replaced it with a regular battery . It didn't seem to have enough reserve.

14. grudge, great thread...... i like where you put the battery
    malcolm, i put a 32 gas tank and hung it off the back so under the cowl might be the best bet...... not to mention ( as it was ) keeping it closer to the starter couldn't hurt...
    thx for the input guys....... love the hamb

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I used a speedway style that welds in. I mounted it between the drive shaft and frame rail. I ran a blue top optima on its side.

16. good thread there guys....thanks

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I was considering going with the PC680 I called the factory and got the President of the company somehow. I told him I was concerned about it having enough juice to crank a 350 10 to 1 motor, and he said he is using one to start a blown 454. I bought it and he was right, it never failed to start my car ever.

As far as reserve, that may be an issue if your car takes long to crank before it fires off. Mine started after one revolution, so I never had to crank it for long periods of time. But I do know it would sit for months at a time with no charger on it and still fire up the car immediately.

Don

18. 5window

5window

In my A coupe, my battery also sits in a tray in front of the rear end and inboard of the frame rail. Because of the difficult access, I have a small plate further forward-inside the rail, but accessible-where I've mounted remote jumping battery terminals, a battery disconnect switch and the connection for my Battery tender to keep it all charged. It's only visible from underneath.

19. there are a lot of odyssey 680 battery's ... hard to figure out what are all the differnce's in the different models... haha i doubt the guys at sears will know

20. Tedders

Tedders

Bump, any pics would be great. I have a 28 rpu and was thinking of relocating the battery to a box in the bed... But would rather have it clean