Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 52 Dodge B3B Hemi Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 70chall440, Oct 10, 2012.

1. 70chall440

70chall440

To be very honest, this isn't a real hard conversion/upgrade but it is time consuming and requires some planning. Like chess, you have to think 2-3 steps ahead to try and make sure everything works together. Barring that, you have to figure out how to reconfigure or make new things to get to where you want to be. At the end of the day, there are always exceptions and multiple paths to arrive at the end. Its a lot of concessions and willingness to accept the outcome of your efforts. In my case, I had to move the steering column to the left some, it isn't a problem but it is different so have to accept it in order to make my combination work. In my opinion, this is what hot rodding is all about; making something new/different/better while maintaining a personal flavor. I am sure there are many who have looked at what I am doing an think "I wouldn't have done that" or "I would have done that differently". And to that end I am sure there will be things that I will eventually come to realize that I should have perhaps done different, but that is the path.

2. 70chall440

70chall440

I have redesigned the steering system, the one in the picture was too far from the frame and I believe it would interfere with the engine. I also added more supports.

Attached Files:

3. 70chall440

70chall440

Just found the HAMB app... Kind of cool. Well I am on the road again for work tomorrow and will be gone for about 10 days. I think when I get back I am going to take a week off and slave on the truck, I'd really like to get it at least most of the way done this year...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 70chall440

70chall440

finally got some work done on the truck, got the firewall built and the steering column and brake pedal bracket done.

Here are some pictures, I am past this now but to give you an idea. I have to modify the heater to push it 3" into the cab to make room for the engine.

Attached Files:

5. 70chall440

70chall440

Some more pics

Attached Files:

6. 70chall440

70chall440

Unfortunately work has called and I am off traveling once again. I won't be able to get back to this until after the 19th but I feel I am getting pretty close. I have to finish modifying the brake pedal arm, fill all of the unnecessary holes in the firewall, run the wiring, weld the floor and firewall in, fit the shifter, fit the kick down cable, install the engine/trans, fit the front sheet metal, install exhaust, run trans lines, etc....

7. 73RR

73RR

Damn fine!

8. 70chall440

70chall440

Well thank, I am glad someone noticed... :) it is definitely a labor of love but I have considered divorce a few times. I am hopeful it will work out, if not there is a "for sale" sign on the wall..

9. 70chall440

70chall440

Sure is quiet in here

10. 73RR

73RR

...might have something to do with the new format. Your truck is not a traditional custom or hot-rod so it stays in the General Discussion folder and perhaps folks are picking loyalties...dunno...
    It is a 52 Dodge with a Hemi so it sure seems traditional to me cause that is the kind of stuff I was seeing in the 60's...I just don't recall too many guys in town building Orange Crate clones.:cool:

11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

i'M DIGGING IT AND WATCHING THE PROGRESS !!! HOPEFULLY I CAN GET BACK TO MINE BUT BUSINESS KEEPS GETTING IN MY WAY.

12. Bells Dodge

Bells Dodge

I've been following your build each step of the way and I'm sure that a lot of old Dodge trucks are doing the same. Very nice!

13. 70chall440

70chall440

thanks all, good to know someone is watching. it can be a pain to remember to take pics and all and then find time to post. its good to know someone is appreciating it.

I would think this would be pretty "traditional" but who am I?

14. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Subscribed and watching. I think there are a lot of guys here watching the build threads for inspiration. I wish I had the time and $$$ to do to mine what you are doing with yours. Keep up the good work and keep posting updates and pics....we like pics...
    Steve-

15. 70chall440

70chall440

I will post pictures as I go, the camera stays in the shop. Unfortunately it might be a while till I can get back to it as I am going to the UK tomorrow, but as soon as possible I will get back on it.

16. Fool Injection

Fool Injection

The inside of mine...

[​IMG]

17. 70chall440

70chall440

Very nice, much fancier than mine is of will be.

18. 70chall440

70chall440

your interior is awesome. hope mine comes out decent.

19. 70chall440

70chall440

well I made it back from the UK in one piece. I was able to do a little work on the truck; welded in all of the holes in the firewall and lengthened the brake pedal. I have to get the front suspension rebuilt, install a stereo, run some wiring, paint the brake pedal bracket and the steering column brackets, etc. We will see what this weekend brings.

20. 70chall440

70chall440

It seems fate is against me as everytime I try and work on this truck something comes up. Yesterday it was heavy rain and power outage. That said, I have the left side of the suspension disassembled and will install the new balljoints and bushing and then paint the control arms. then on the to right side.

21. 70chall440

70chall440

Today it was a dryer vent issue... damn... I did manage to get the upper and lower control arms blasted and painted.

22. 70chall440

70chall440

I had the headers ceramic coated white, I think they look very retro.

Attached Files:

23. 70chall440

70chall440

So, this truck has been fighting me. I have the left side of the suspension apart and have had nothing but issues trying to get it back together. That said, I finally did manage to get the bushings in and the control arms back together and painted, but it was a pain. I used a PST suspension kit and the poly bushings were a pain. Then the lower ball joint didnt want to go in straight which of course caused a number of episodes of violence and bad language. Of course to start all of this off was the upper BJ which I thought was a press in, but turned out to be threaded.... it is ok but definitely caused me some high emotion. I cut one coil off of the spring to lower the front some, we will see how much effect it made. I will post some pics when I get that side back together. I still have to cut the rotor, clean up the caliper and paint it.

24. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

It's a truck. A certain amount of bad language is a necessary ingredient to the build. Almost a law of nature.

Sometimes taking a pic and posting it will give you an "aha" moment as you try to describe what's fighting you. So, more pics!

25. 70chall440

70chall440

I don't have any problems posting pictures, the problem is however that I have to resize them all first which is time consuming.

26. 70chall440

70chall440

so here are some pics of my firewall effort.

Attached Files:

27. 70chall440

70chall440

Here are pics of my brake efforts.

Attached Files:

28. 70chall440

70chall440

And here is the brake and suspension before/after pics (actually it is the left and right side, still need to do the right side)

Attached Files:

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I like the pictures.

Google for "bulk resize" and find a program that can resize a bunch of pictures at once. The one I found was actually made for creating thumbnail pictures but would let you make those thumbnails any size you wanted, I chose 640x 480.

30. 70chall440

70chall440

Actually I discovered that I can do multiple with MS pictures, so now I do several at a time. I take a lot of pictures during the build but most are reference pictures or are multiple pictures of the same thing (different angles and such). It always seems to be the case that when I come to post some, I only seem to have a handful of pictures I think are interesting. Maybe is there is something of particular interest someone can let me know.