Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Uh ... it's a HOT ROD.

Read page 1 of the thread for answers to your question.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, ya were over on my thread a few minutes ago trollin' as well. How about you hang out for a bit, learn a little history, THEN comment on what's going on around here....

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Nahhh, nevermind....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. What dumb comments to make....

Either enjoy and admire other peoples things or keep counter-productive meaningless opinions to yourself. Simple.

5. So your body is going to hell in a hand basket and on your way out you want to piss people off. Your choice but not the way I would like to be remembered.

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i always thought to be critical was ok if it was constructive......................

7. And even better to think before opening ones mouth. Some should do themselves a favor and look up the history of this and the original car. It's easy to be critical , it just takes more effort to be educated.

8. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Not sure why everyone is jumping on HellsHotRod. It's actually a pretty legit gripe if you look at what Ryan is talking about in making the forum more focused. Honestly, when Ryan started that "casualties" post...I immediately thought of this thread(cuz I've enjoyed it and its one of the few threads I always search for). I also thought about how if someone posted something about Limefire(fiberglass), it wouldn't be welcomed here either. Honestly, I like these kind of cars WAY more than the focus of this forum. But, if the line was gonna be drawn...And they are gonna be more focused and strict...is what it is...

Posted using the Mildly Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. That's why it's in the general discussion part of the forum. It has never been tried to be passed off as " traditional ". If you don't like it move on , life's too short. The last part was for HellsHotRod.

10. Well, I can vouch for the fact that the front brakes are traditional, as the drums came off of my '40 coupe.

I believe that Ryan knows the history that Pete Eastwood brings to the table. I would be somewhat surprised if he decided to pull the plug on the thread. It's his prerogative, though, and we will leave that decision up to him and his moderators.

In the mean time, HellsHotRods, do as Ryan suggested and simply use the "report" button if you have a problem with the thread. Heck, use the same button this post, if you would like, as I have radial tires on my hot rods, and have a nasty word in the domain name of my signature file.

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks guys. I didn't know how to handle his post. As you know I can be as sarcastic as anyone for a good laugh and don't mind poking fun at myself either. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and just figured he didn't have the time or inclination to read what I think was/is a fun thread that also is informative.
    As I have said many times to you all. Thanks!
    Rick

By the way, anybody going to the Outriders picnic next week?

12. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hells Hot Rods . . . .

Ok . . .

First of all, if you'll take the time to read, you might understand that it's not a copy, it is the original chassis resurected with second body.

I've looked the car over a few times, it sure looks like a Hot Rod to me.
    I'm not seeing the street rod aspect of it, & I don't see alot of street rod parts hanging off of it either. I guess you could call the P&J 4, bar a street rod part if that's the interpretation.

Sorry, I just don't see your point

Pete Eastwood

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

True that.

14. Rick and Pete,

My momma used to say, "Some folks wouldn't be happy if you hung 'em with a new rope." She also used to tell me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." She was a good mom.

The E&B sedan is an icon in the hot rod world, and I'm sure that Ryan knows the history of it. With the thread being 121 pages long, I would think that if he didn't think that it was cool, he'd have shut it down a long time ago.

Thanks for letting me be a part of it, and Rick, this is the kind of thing that I had referred to, when you and I were talking on the phone about the drums.

Bret

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

We got your back Rick! Not that you need it and all, but...

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Opinions are like assholes...
    The baddest, traddest hot rods to ever grace this planet were built by folks like Pete Chapouris and Jim "Jake" Jacobs, Jim Ewing, Bob Bauder, Tom Prufer, Eric Vaughn, Bill Vinther, Cal Tanaka and, oh yeah, some guys named EASTWOOD and BARAKAT (and many others). So yeah, I'm biased, as these are the guys I read about and was INSPIRED by in my teens to today. These guys get it, and they've more than earned their spot in the world of TRADITIONAL hot rodding.

Another opinion…
    Traditional hot rodding is a state of mind mixed with a creative eye for warm, fuzzy, funky, romanticized style, a great knowledge and appreciation for the early years, as well as, of course, mechanical ability and ingenuity. An arbitrary cutoff date(?) not so much.

17. loudbang

loudbang

Don't mind him he must have been posting drunk or something . That day he put more nonsensical replies into a lot of threads. And hasn't been back.

18. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Pretty much sums it up for me. The cars by those guys listed are what I grew up lusting over. Growing up in Arcadia, seeing them at the Street Rods Forever meetings or other local shows...

I never really get the whole hard line of a particular cutoff or completely period correctness. I'm all about it looking a certain traditional style, and i'm all about cool details. And I think you can tell what kinda hot rods me and my dad enjoy by our cars....(the delivery even has a eastwood chassis my dad bought of Pete back in the day)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378477367.055792.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378477469.565822.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack for a post or two, lets get back to that bitchin sedan

Posted using the Mildly Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Yep, those are the guys who totally influenced my Hot Rod style, and still do to this day. Everyone has their own interpretation of "Traditional", but the era those guys worked their magic in defines what MY definition of Traditional is. I don't get too excited over flatheads, steel wheels, and bias ply tires, but when you start talking 16x10 Halibrands, dirt-track rear tires, louvers, wrapped in a body with an attitude to match, you have my undivided attention!

The cut-off date is the one thing that makes me LOVE to poke at the Trad guys, because it's always a moving date that's determined by whatever they decide to like at the time. One day, they hate SBCs and disc brakes, but then they slobber all over Ryan when he decides to put that stuff in one of his projects. I think it's funny, and I love to bust their nuggets for it.

20. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Rick i have been subscribed to this thread from the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed it but i have never posted on it.. I would say that two of my friends have been heavily influenced by what you and Pete have done and continue to do. The kids 51farmtruck and t wood 08 totally get it. So keep up the good work so we will have hot rodders forever.
    John

21. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jeem-
    It appears you do your best posting late at night.
    Thanks!
    John-
    Having met both of the "kids", I know the future of Hot Rodding is going to be in good hands! They are both great "kids" who also have the eye and talent to have a great Hot Rod.

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeem pretty well listed a major chunk of my hot rod hero's list. Him,need louvers, and flat-n-low all hit their nails square on the head. And P-wood... kinda like E.F. Hutton talking! ROD ON guys!!

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!life can be a trip. i am glad i have a temple city hotrod to make my journey in..............................every one have a gud weekend.

24. TJ Muroc

TJ Muroc
    from Norway

I have folloved this thread for a long time. I haven't posted, because I felt that I hadn't anything to contribute.
    I can agree to Jeem about heroes. Those persons influenced me when I grew up. I am born in 69.

I saw a picture of the E&B car in Mike Keys book in 1984 when I was 14. They have influenced me in what I like and what cars I own or have owned or want to own someday.

Those are persons I would like to meet to talk cars, not actors, rockstars or presidents.

TJ
    Norway

25. Allmotor

Allmotor

Totally agree.

26. jalopy45

jalopy45

The best cure for the attitude and misconception is to take a drive over to Ricks shop and look at the car in person, this is a driver, or a better description is a "Hot Rod", send him a PM, he's a helluva nice guy and you can see up close and personal the bent frame pieces they had to replace after someone hit a wall, :confused:

27. OK lets get something straight!!!
    Street rods are made up of Hot Rod parts !!!!
    They are shiny and lots of chrome pieces
    They have air conditioning
    They have radios and CDs
    Lots of them ride around in trailers because the owners are afraid it might get a scratch!!
    The E&B 32 sedan don't have roll up windows
    It doesn't have upholstery to speak of
    It don't have a radio
    It has very little shinny stuff
    It doesn't have a 30K Paint job
    Now if this does not explain to you the difference You don't need to be HERE!!!!
    And it hauls ass!!!!!!!!!

28. Very nice article on the sedan in the latest HRM. Congrats Rick, well deserved.

29. Nice to be around like minded people. Anyone notice lately how much the word traditional is being thrown around these days? It's kinda like the new billet from 20 years ago. Flat-N-Low I'm right there with ya.

30. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

just got my issue of HOTROD out of the mail box. very gud issue but the icing on the cake was the E&B cedan. AWSUM! mite buy another copy to frame the article. i like to have inspiring things in my garage.................