Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speed Junky's '34 Ford pickup truck thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPDJNKY, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I stepped back and finished up the bed. Fabb'd up and plug welded the 14ga angle iron that the hat channel sits on. Finished up the hat channel and drilled 32 speed holes. Also notched out the front and side panels for the drive shaft and axle and welded the 1" strips in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can go back to the cab floors:D:rolleyes:

2. Brian, very nice work; you should bring it to the Meltdown.

3. Thanks Sam.
    If I can find a trailer to borrow I plan to bring it to the Meltdown.

4. Noland

Noland

very nice work. I really like the bed crossmembers.

5. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Looking good Brian.

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Way to go Brian. Guess that Saturday breakfast gave you some go juice? Stu

7. Thanks guys.
    Yeah Stu, something got into us because my bride was even helping me step the floors yesterday with the bead roller. She thinks we need a powered bead roller now. :D

8. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

very nice brian, keep it up.

9. I think she's looking for a residential garage space for her car in this winter .

10. Just saw your peekup in your avatar!

Totally bitchen!

Sam

11. Thanks man.
    I was at the Meltdown Drags in Byron today and man I want to get my truck done for the next one!

12. triumph 1

triumph 1

Cool truck! Nice work.

13. Koz

Koz

Very very nice! I have no idea of how I missed this one.

14. Thanks for the compliments guys.
    The chassis and cage is suppose to get certified by an NHRA tech this week. If all goes well then it's full steam ahead again.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice build. Now I'm going to read all the posts and try to apply more ideas. I'm never going to get done.

16. image.jpg

Chassis was certified for 8.50 yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  17. 54wingnut

54wingnut

Boy, you better get an engine in that thing! Looks good tho.

18. Jesus, they let anyone join this place?:D

19. I'm stuck on something with the truck. My most recent intention was to run the bed without a floor. I was thinking of the weight savings and not covering up all the great chassis fab work HRCC did. The fact that this truck is going to hall ass at the track reminds me that I have to run a bed floor to keep the rear tires on the ground. Not so much for down force reasons but to avoid air flow coming upward from below. Now to figure out if it matters if I use a thick plexiglass for the floor, or just stick with aluminum.
    I saw a truck at the Meltdown Drags running a bed with no floor but never found the guy to ask him questions about how it reacts and handles. I know the truck was flying though!
    Anyone have experience with using thick plexiglass floor on a P/U bed at high speeds?

20. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

I would come up with a way to use bed irons and use plexi-glass where the wood normally goes. This would provide weight, strength (instead of one big sheet of plexi that would want to flop around near the center) and still showcase your chassis.

21. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Brian,

I don't run a bed floor and I never noticed anything crazy at speed. I have had my truck well over 100 and it's rock solid. All though my bed is completely full of radiators and a fuel cell.

22. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

A company called "Bed Wood" can make you slats with any bolt pattern you'd like. You could easily use aluminum slats, and use plexi in place of the wood.

23. Thanks for the responses guys.

I reached out to three different guys now that drag race these box tops. Two of them have no bed floors and the third guy has a bunch of seat time but has a bed floor. All three said no sweat running it with no floor. Now that the gas tank and battery box are mocked up, and I laid material on the hat channel, ya can't see much ground anymore anyways. I measured the lowest point of the truck and its only 6" anyhoo. :D

Anyone interested in buying a really bitch'n Road King Custom? Daddy needs money to build the motor and buy paint supplies. :D

24. Been a while since I've posted about the truck. Life and responsibilities got in the way AGAIN.
    The sheet metal work is pretty much done. I did the majority of the sheet metal work on the truck myself but gave up on the doors. I couldn't get the skins right myself so Bob Bleed and Jeff Peterson re-skinned the driver and passenger doors for me. They did a NICE job!
    Steering box is in and the back of the roof has the correct shape to it now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Been a while since I've posted about the truck. Life and responsibilities got in the way AGAIN.
    The sheet metal work is pretty much done. I did the majority of the sheet metal work on the truck myself but gave up on the doors. I couldn't get the skins right myself so Bob Bleed and Jeff Peterson re-skinned the driver and passenger doors for me. They did a NICE job!
    Steering box is in and the back of the roof has the correct shape to it now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 54wingnut

54wingnut

Looks good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Thanks John.
    Ordered my seats today and a few other goodies so I can figure out the harness mounts.

28. Seats got delivered yesterday.
    Now I can finish up everything under the floor and start welding in the floor panels.
    I sat in the seat in the cab and realized just how tight it is in there.

[​IMG]

29. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike