Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I flame it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1- shot slinger, Sep 5, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, Flame on!

139 vote(s)
    75.1%
  2. No, flames are played out!

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I like the layout of them and like flames. But if you dont have the scratch to put it in primer how are you coming up with the scratch for the color for the flames?

My truck is sporting some CRAPPY paint and I want to redo it eventually, but instead of putting effort into graphics or polishing the turd paint that it is I'm just hoarding my pennies to do it all at once

2. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I've done a lot of flame jobs and I can say that your layout is right on the money and the car would look great with what you've done so far painted with traditional colors... yellow-orange at the front leading back to dark red on the tip. there are a couple pics of flame jobs in my albums that show the colors I think would look good on the base color of the car.

However, I tend to agree with Hotroddon about the wasted energy if the paint if rough. Flame jobs are very labor intensive not to mention expensive buying as many as four or five different colors, clear, hardener, and the rest of the necessary materials.....so I guess it depends on just how rough the paint really is.
    If your doing your graphics over a surface that is peeling, has chunks missing, cracks or bad hazing, the flames are only going to make those bad spots look even worse than they are. Might not be so bad if its mostly just faded and full of stone chips on the front...most of which can be taken care of and covered by the flames....

Regardless of all that...with your talent for layout I'd definitely recommend flame something!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Send it over to the photoshop thread....

4. outlaw57

outlaw57

can never go wrong with flames

5. wallyringo

wallyringo

6. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I am not voting until I see a full on level side view. Rarely do I get to I see a car from 20 feet in the air. Looks like a cool car though.

7. 1pickup

1pickup

do it. nice lay out. i've flamed a few cars, & some were just temporary (shake & spray), or just for fun. some award winners. since that is what was stated (temporary), i'd go a little crazy with the color. Traditional fade is always cool, & could be done at the time you do final paint. but, why not do it in green, or purple, or pink? think outside the box. if you look at some old (traditional) car show pics, you will see they weren't all white/yellow/orange/red. and, most weren't as nicely flowing as your tape job.

8. Ask some of the guys here to photoshop some very very subtle scallops

9. maybelene

maybelene

I say flame it. What about masking off outside the tape as it is now and fog in light blue around the inside edge of the flame letting the original dark blue paint show through in the middle of each flame. Make the flame tips solid light blue. Easy to do with an airbrush but I have done it with a rattle can using touch up spray paint. "..... metal is forever. When you paint something, how long does it last? It lasts a few years and then it's gone" Von Dutch

10. i like temporary paint jobs, we call them "glorified wax jobs".
    extending them to the middle of the door and below the trim will look nice.

11. Adding flames to cover up a bad paint job is kind of like rolling a turd in glitter isn't it?

12. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Bags are for groceries,
    Skirts are for girls,
    Flames are for campfires.
    Its your choice but I like it without flames!
    :p

13. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Yes, these old cars/trucks are for having fun!!!! I too like the layout and I don't like white in the flames either (someone else mentioned that).

Cheers,

Cosmo with the '49 dd only vehicle

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll add a vote for ghost flames, subtle but nicely done they are there without being in your face.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Yep, Go for it !

4TTRUK

16. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Here goes nothin!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378430930.879213.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow - that didn't take long to make up your mind ! Can't wait to see the end result .

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

cool... I like the way they are laid out!

19. Wishing I lived next door to you, I'd grin every time I looked at the pavement. Parking Spot Reserved for the dude with yellow-orange flames....oh you driving the ranger with over spray, park back there!

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looks like you made up your mind already. I say OH YEAH!

21. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

TOTALLY CLASSIC!!! Street painting in your neighborhood. Waiting for the results.

22. Try a photo shop first, before you commit to painting.

23. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

This

EDIT: now that I see you're going for it I think it'll be pretty great
    Personally I'd keep it a little subtle and use light blue for the flames instead of white/yellow/red

24. Vote no. I see flames on shit in the supermarket. The squares are using them.

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

YES!!!!! I am really hoping for the traditional colors on that blue....cant wait, GREAT LAYOUT!!!!

PS...I really like how you ended up going over the fender opening too.

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No argument , you proved you can lay awsome flames so its a given the colours will be as awesome.

27. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Is it done yet? C'mon lets see the colors.

Scotty

28. 4444Design

4444Design

flames - no other options ...

29. I'm late to the party, but I think you made a great choice. My 64 Pontiac that I got in '84 has had 4 flame jobs to date...and has yet to make it to "real" paint.

30. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Point of no return!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378494578.999636.jpg

Attached Files: