Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best source walk-in or online for brake tubing & fittings?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Grudge, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Grudge

Grudge

I'm ready to run brake line on my Model A pickup chassis. Am running 40 Ford fronts and 60s Bendix rear (1/4" & 3/16"), single piston M/C.

Will need:

- Brake line (not looking for stainless as I don't have a nice enough flaring tool kit)
    - Fittings
    - Tees
    - Hold-down tabs

Is one chain of auto parts stores better than the others in terms of stock on-hand? Am I better off getting everything online? Does anyone have a recommendation for an online supplier?

Thanks,

Aaron

2. I will be going to my local NAPA auto parts when I need to do the same process for my Desoto. The parts guy indicated he has everything I would need.

3. Grudge

Grudge

Thanks man.

Aaron

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

NAPA has also been my go-to source for this stuff.

Don't waste your time with A-zone or O'Reilys.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Any of the bigs will have varying levels of completeness in their hard line stock. The one thing I watch out for though is the olive green stuff that many are selling these days. There seems to be major difference in the offering by different companies in this stuff, and some will bend and flare nicely and others won't do one or the other or either. I honestly keep looking around town for the stores still selling the silver stuff. It's still out there.

6. 2racer

2racer

I buy them online from speedway and jegs, happy with both

7. Grudge

Grudge

Thanks guys. There is a NAPA distribution wharehouse/storefront near me with one super competent guy in particular; I'll start there.

Aaron

8. NAES

NAES

Tough to beat napa if they have an alright parts guy. Usually they'll have a big coil of brake line and all the fittings you need. Just do a parts list and know that you'll be making a trip or two back when you forget something!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

Cool man good luck!

FYI - NAPA has steel line that's silvery colored on the outside and copper colored on the inside. It bends and flares REAL NICE! I've used it on my '61 for brake and fuel line and I love it.

Don't use the grey plastic coated stuff they sell. It sucks.

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

11. A Boner

A Boner

NAPA....Get a roll of copper/nickel brake line.

12. stimpy

stimpy

napa sells great brake line and connectors and nuts , for coated bulk steel line theirs is superior than the cheap big box stores , never had a problem with flaring and bending or the coating flaking off like the cheap other stuff , if not Napa , carquest is next .and you can get several types of coatings too . the silver is called turne and its tin over copper over steel , the green stuff I do not know what the coating is but its highly resistant to the salt additives they put on the roads up here .. I use that on DD's .

13. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

The napa silcon/tehlon coated ones bend so easy and they are dirt cheap. I don't even bother flaring stuff anymore, its just easier and in some ways cheaper to buy the stuff at napa.

~7 bucks for a 60 inch 3/8th

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Wearymicrobe, I agree !! I like the pre flared, with fittings, in different lengths. Some cutting, bending and flaring required,... works great ! NAPA, and believe it or not, a local Auto zone even had some.

4TTRUK

15. uncle buck

uncle buck

I'll even throw some NAPA part numbers to help you.

25' coil of 3/16" silver line #641-4000 Balkamp
    3/16" tube nuts #105 X 3 Weatherhead
    3/16" line couplers #302 x 3 Weatherhead
    3/16" T block #702 x 3 Weatherhead

16. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

With pen and paper in hand, visit several stores and take note of the manufacturer and the lengths in stock, and also see what they can order. You'll see that lengths will vary some by supplier. I use single-strand copper wire (cut-offs from a box store) to lay out my lines and determine lengths needed - helps with bending too! Then, you can go shopping for just what you need, with little waste.

Use the best damn tooling you can get for your double-flairs, practice making a few. If the tubing wants to push out of the clamp, a dab of valve lapping compound will give it the grip needed to stay put.Worn-out tooling is a huge PITA, and NOT worth your time!!!

Good Luck, Tim

17. Grudge

Grudge

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

Will hit up NAPA and post how it goes.

Aaron

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I actually like buying mine from JC Whitney. I get a 25' coil and quite a few fittings for a decent package price. Seems to bend and flare fine.

Blue

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, NAPA. Lucky to have a store, attached to a PDC, so "getting it from the warehouse", means through the little sliding window.