Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I keep fearing a lokar is the only thing that will seal but $$$ and it looks like lokar stuff haha.

Got some miles in on the hwy today to try and figure out mpg roughly for our 300 miles drive south and hit roughly 16 mpg going 60/65 mph. Everyone seems to think it should be closer to 20/22 so I guess when we get moved ill try to find someone willing to help me get it tuned a bit better.

I'll keep you all posted :)

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

2. n847

n847

I don't think 16 is too far off from what I get with my 350 it was bored 60 over with an intake and carb, it might do closer to 20, but 16 sounds better. That being said I did tune it my self so who knows!

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Bummer with the th350 your stuck with the 1:1 final ratio.
    At least you have a base point to start playing with rear end gears and bigger tires!
    (or a 200/700r4!)
    The green 40 project has the AOD,
    so I'm hoping to get in the 20's on the freeway.
    The lincoln the eng/tranny was ripped from averaged 14-16 all around,
    but on long freeway stretches the hi-tech computer tripmeter showed up to 28mpg.
    Big difference with a 67-75% overdrive.
    TP

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'm running a 350 SB with 700R4 and 3:55 gears with 235-70/15 tires. I don't know what I get for mileage, but I do know its a lot better at 60 than it is at 80.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's a very used 307 with an edelbrock performer intake and a new 500 cfm carb, th350, 3:00 gears and a 27 inch tall tire.

A friend had a 67 nova with a healthy 307, power glide, 3:07 gears and a similar height tire and averaged 22 on the hwy.

That car weighed about what mine does and was slightly more aerodynamic so I feel I should be able to get closer to 20 with this combo.

I'm being easy on the gas, right now because of a design flaw when I floor it the carb is maybe half open so its not like I'm losing mpg from a heavy foot?

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oT6YIf9U3eU?list=UU8e6vdgmCwXsQkH1TY7-2QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a quick edit of clips from our 300 miles drive south to KC

over all we made it safe with more or less not alot of trouble. We won't have any internet at the house for a couple weeks/a month? So when i get a chance and a wifi connection ill try to share the story a little more.

until then we are settling in at our new home in raytown mo. and I've started work tattooing at a freaks on noland in independence :)

7. n847

n847

Looks like the truip went good now get settled in and set that garage up!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Live update! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374592922.572044.jpg

I promise it looks bigger in the photo haha.

It's nice having the car not be completely full of stuff like some crazy persons car you see loaded down with newspaper. I got my old man on this morning and sorted all my nuts and bolts and placed them into there respective mason jars now I'm waiting on Beaner to come over and listen to some funny sounds the 46 is making.

Havn't driven it at all since we moved other then in and out of the garage for the electrician

9. Tim,
    I just got my garage clean enough to move the 47 in for glass work.
    It feels good not worrying every time it rains.
    Congrats on the move.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good deal mike, being inside sure beats out in the elements most of the time.

With Pork n Beaners magic ears we found my noise and very likely the crazy noise on the tail end of our drive down in the HEI were the button/nub thing that connects the cool to the dist just bouncing around, the spring missing and the rubber pad no where to be found.

With frayed wires on the coil we just swapped in a new coil with new spring/button ect and it sounds much better :) I've got a short in a passenger side spark plug wire and I need to try out some different thermostats to cool it a little better and we should be good to go.

Muuuuch less stressed now that the random noise is gone :) and even more impressed that we made it all the way here

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haven't updated this for a while so figured I'd throw a little update in :)

after the coil swap we heard a shorting plug wire and after I put the new plug wires on I had a new noise! check out the thread I started on that whole debacle if you like but in short it was a user error that ended up with me giving the car new plug wires, coil, cap, rotor and hardware haha

runs better now and got it to idle better as well.

after that was all taken care of all I've really done is battle a leaky fitting into one of my residual valves on the rear brakes. I havn't ever gotten it right it seems so i haven't even adjusted the proportioning valve to were it should probably be.

I get it to were it seems sealed, bleed the brakes and a drive it. then when i have time go to mess with adjusting the prop valve and i find a teeny tiny wetness on the fitting again. I then repeat all the steps again. threads all look good so I'm not real sure why it wont just seal up like everything else but i suppose that gives me something to mess with if it hasn't sealed the last time we messed with them before headed out for the greaserama.

that was just right at a 90 mile trip in about 90 deg temps and it went just fine! its running about 10 to 15 deg warmer then id like but it didn't change at all when i changed speed and i noticed no change it how it ran. But the cool thing is after all the new ignition stuff i checked my mpg and it looks like I hit 16mpg right on the head with all the varied driving so I like to believe that on the open road i was getting closer to my ideal 20-22 mpg.

I drove 30 miles on the interstate between 65 and 73 mph in 90+ deg temps followed by roughly 12-16 miles of 45/55 mph two lane that was straight up and straight down hills the whole time with some curves thrown in for good measure. I took a lap or two around the fair grounds before a short trip threw town to Dairy Queen and then 43 miles on the interstate all the way home at 55/60 mph in closer to 80deg temps.

With all the changes in temp, speed and road characteristics it averaged out to 16 point something a gallon. With all this interstate and suburban sprawl I'm not sure were i could do a straight highway mpg test but im going to keep an eye open for a nice two lane with a gas station. The last time what I did was fuel up on the highway, drive 20 miles at a steady 60 ish mph to a hamburger and milkshake. turn around and drive right back to the same gas station and pump and fill it to were i did previously and check it.

Any advice for mpg checks or does it seems im covering my basses doing that?

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And because you all like pix :)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378319923.651710.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378319938.405359.jpg

Posted using My Dick Tracy watch and the full custom HAMB app

13. ^^^^^ So is this the lady you conned into marrying you? You a lucky guy! Look at that big smile!

You know you are making me lust after your small-block. I've still got my flattie, and the thing has it's tongue hanging out at 60....Thought about a licence plate frame that says "I'm retired, go around me!"
    Of course, it's would be like the proverbial spittoon, first comes the OHV, then the automatic because the old three speed is weak, then the modern rear end. Oopps, now I'm not HAMB friendly. But, I could just stick in the OHV and live with that....

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's under neath just don't tell anyone haha. It's geared pretty high so it helps alot seeing as I have no over drive.

The license plate is funny I thought of running a flatheads forever tag haha

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And you bet that's my wife :D

16. I parked by you guys... black 51, neat old car!

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man! I really dug your car. The 51 front and the 49/50 back. Best of both worlds! Thought it looked pretty good with the hood bare, hopefully your drive home wasn't as warm as the way there!

18. Thanks! Ya, it was hotter than hell driving down from Saint Louis! We headed back that night and it wasnt so bad tho... Wish we arrived a little while earlier!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Car looks good, wish I would have checked it over at the show.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Tim I'm sure ill make it over to you place sometime to dig on that A some more. I'll have to drive it when I do :) guy sold the sedan so now we're back A sedan hunting

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well with it creeping up on our one year anniversary I realized that I had to set a start date on round two on the 46. A lot of my thinking on driving the car for a while with out it being 100% finished was that I could lean on it and beat on it while getting it all sorted out, and the rest was mostly life and laziness getting in the way of progress.

With nearly 5 thousand miles on the car everything is more or less sorted out other then some brake tuning and a trans leak that I know the fix for so with that in mind I kept trying to pick a date to officially dive back into the car.

It's so much more fun to drive it then to work on it some times, and when the weather failed to get colder when it hit Oct and some friends decided to come visit I figured that I'd cart us all around in the 46 for their visit and then get down to business.

I figured I'd make a post about it to share the fun day we had and to sorta make myself liable to make things happen!

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zps37c0a59a.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

our first stop of the day was the kansas city river market, its a huge farmers market and looking up we were being swept over by a crap ton of tight flying planes! I was quick to take a photo but its still an ipod camera and gave me a shot of what looks like birds haha.

when we got home later that evening we found that they had flown over arrow head stadium leaving smoke trails at the beginning of the game via some you tube video we came across. pretty cool!

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo3_zps9ddb0cc9.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I was pretty happy to not blend into the parking lot and about what looked to be a great day

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zps5004ca2d.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zpseab8de7b.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo4_zps9446cbe3.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

veggies, spices, and coffee bought we piled back into the ford :)

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo5_zps09a01fea.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

our back seat passengers :) they are actualy the first people to ride in the back for more then a mile or so cruise. after between 60-90 miles on highways interstates and surface streets they said it was like cruising in a lazyboy. glad to here its comfy.

I was also surprised that they created no new blind spots. I notice when driving around with a car full in a newer car a lot of the time I look back to check a blind spot only to see some ones hopefully smiling face haha.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zps1ad10812.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

our next stop was at the turner days car show held at a highschool, this is the only photo I took while I let the car cool a little. I thought with the Bandits car next to us it was like two generations of shine hauling cars... well sorta anyways haha

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo3_zpsfa11dfc5.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

after seeing what there was to be seen we went taco hunting! The one thing I've had a hard time replacing after the move to KC is my local street taco joint. open nearly 24/7 i've driven hours to eat there when living else where. Sarah noted that we were near the part of town were even the bill boards are in spanish so with our cuban in the back seat to translate we cruised the neighbor hoods looking for just the right spot.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo4_zps376d9811.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

it wasnt as good as back home so the hunt continues but it did afford us a little 'tres hombres' moment so i still call it a win in my book.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo5_zpsae036427.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo_zps444a6c90.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

and threw something like the 3rd largest city park in the country back home via its twisty roads.

building stuffs fun, but man, driving it is what gets me threw those stubborn days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. -Sled-

-Sled-

This thread is full of epic beards

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haha, we are pretty pro beard people

24. Ewwww...IOWA plates!!!:eek::rolleyes::D
    Ain't forgot about your parts quest buddy. I haven't heard from Dave in awhile but we need to nail him down on a time to go hit his parts stash. This thread makes me think about starting one for the '42.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah man do it! i find it always helps when you need an extra push!

I sent in all the forms to run my 1946 MO plates but every one tells me expect a 6 week wait :p

i think right now i need the clip on the inside of the glove box that screws into the back side of the glove box door that the latch catches when you close it. I feel like it was there when i took it apart but ill be danged if I could find it when I looked.

I also need a rear gravel shield. the 46 is like the 42 i believe and is a one piece compared to the three piece job that comes on the 47/48. though im not picky and could live with a 3 piece if it was cheep enough.

and of course the illusive hood plunger. I think that's the only three things i can think of that i need. oh! the little plastic mohawk that goes on the hood ornament.

its always something lol keep me posted

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

actualy Bill if youve got one on your hood maybe we could measure it and see if i cant find another one thats off something else thats the same size and would work?

27. I like this build, I'm doing something very similar on a 40. However, your car is much nicer than mine!! I wish I would've seen this car at the HAMB drags do see how you did different things. (I saw your blue hamb drags shirt so I assume you were there?)

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was there indeed but the ford was not. I think I was still trouble shooting my ignition issue at that point.

let me know if you have any questions about how I did something or want a photo I'd be more then happy to answer/take a snap shot.

I've been looking at KKOA salina posts this afternoon in down time and planing for this coming years event. This year we had a running car ~ that was about to have some ignition issues~ but no time off because we'd just moved and the year before we thrashed all day and all night only to be thwarted and had to take a loaner to the show AND the year before we bought the car on our way back from the show!

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A year ago today! Wow

30. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Congrats on your first year. Hope ya'll have a long,happy life. Looks like your already off to a great start.