Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A tale of 3 chops and the revival of the 41 to 48 fords

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by magoozi, Apr 30, 2012.

1. sawzall

sawzall

my project.. its a little "different"[​IMG]

2. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Anyway guys, I have a dilema,My car is circa late fifties, by then , guys were not usesing bumper guards so I am having trouble deciding how to mount my rear lic plate, I am thinking of a small bracket mounted on top of the rear gravel pan or should I just mount it on the rear bumper? any input or pictures would be greatly apreciated.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

'49 Chevy guard is a natural..Clean and simple....a classic design.
    (Repros are available. Search the Auction site.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    Sonny Day Out and 509garyd like this.
  4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks man , me like!

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

41 to 48 fords was the first year ford used a stainless trim arround the front and rear window rubber on their deluxe models, l feel the extra work of cutting down the stainless and usesing the deluxe rubber is worth the effort, it gives the car a nice finish look. This and leaving in the vent windows and the division bar on the front windshield is another big difference between a modern custom and a traditional custom.But man , what a pain in the butt , it takes alot of mesurering and trial and error to get it right.

6. I did one.
    it's mine

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8199365#post8199365

7. Dirty Birdy

Dirty Birdy

Been working away on this one for the last year... took some time off during the summer but back at it. Im in my mid 30s and this car has always been my dream car! This is by far (for me) the best thread to inspire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

car is looking great

9. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Car is looking great, a whole diferent look by leaving the rain gutters on.

10. A way better look with gutters in my opinion...

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I really like the rounded upper trunk corners, as to the rain gutters, I like them either way, shaved off is more traditional and works better if you are doing a really heavy chop and rounded upper door corners, I think this car looks great and the rain gutters look good. Thats what is so bitch'en aboat these cars, there are many ways and stlyes to customize them and no two ever look the same

12. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

First time out! At the Ventura Nat

Attached Files:

13. That coupe is BITCHIN!!!! ^^^^^^^^

14. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

looking really good ,and awesome color

15. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

This is a great thread. I might just have to chop my long door coupe...

16. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Great thread! I'm subscribed. A ton of quality examples of 41's-48's done right! and a bunch of current builds going down the "perfect path", love it! I recently picked up a '46 fordor to bomb around in this summer as my daily. Very fun car. Just simple touches for now, lowered front leaf, 6.00 in front, 7.00 in back. Has a dual-carb'd 59a. Solid car. I'd love to get a hold of a short door coupe, and start chopping.

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

For the most part, traditional customs are a new trend, even with the heavy chop , suspension lowered 4" in front and 7 " in the rear, the car still has a tall stance when compared to a bagged custom, with 80% percent of the customs at the show running bags, I kinda felt like the only chick at the prom that brought high heels. To bag or not to bag is decision that is up to you, the main purpose of the thread is to revive the 41 to 48 fords and mercs.Damm, I shure gained some weight, being at the shop in Tijuana full time, it must be all that good food down there.

18. Skirv

Skirv

That looks super. I like everything about it.

19. phat rat

phat rat

Yes but that height was pretty much the norm back then. As far as the bagged cars IMHO they usually look broke especially those that lay frame

20. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I'm so tempted to build my coupe into a similar version of this drawing:D
    [​IMG]

Maniut and 509garyd like this.
  21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

If you notice, the car is 46 but I am running 47 trim, ford did'nt make a 47 business coupe so I'll have to lengthen the quarter trim and shorten the door trim belt mouldings, I like the nice smooth look of the 47-48 trim. color is a dark bronze with burnt orange effects on the base coat, tint is candy apple and then clear coat, we color sand alot which gives the paint a nice depth , much like a laqure

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

please do!

23. Rikster

Rikster

It looks fantastic outside in natural light magoozi. Congratulations.

I only feel that the tires are wrong for the car. They look to be to tall which put the car up in the air to much. Looks like they are tires for a late 1950's car. To much black outside the white wall section.

24. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Last year I picked up a '41 Tudor that has an amazing body (thanks Russ V). I've been picking up parts to do this as a mild custom '48-'52 style (dressed flathead, spots, skirts, Lyon style sombreros, WWW, period paint). It will dropped it down a few inches. There are so many BEAUTIFUL coupes that have been shared, does anyone have any pics of sedans that have been done? These seem to be such popular cars, they have to be out there.....

25. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks for the compliments Rickster, ya the tires are more for a caddilac and I do plan to change them to some lucus tires that are a bit shorter, lucus has the nice wide whites with the pie crust design so when I get some more money , I´ll change them out.

26. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

What size are they now and what size are you planning on using?

27. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

it needs Goodyear Cushions 670-15, they got the widest whitewall for that size tire and are period correct. Lucas sells them. $225 each. Save up some money...

28. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It was'ent so much a matter of choice but being the cheap bastard I am, I could'ent pass the deal up;a buddy of mine hooked me up with a set of 4 brand new wide whites for 200 bucks. Now that is deal that is hard for anyone to pass up!

29. Dirty Birdy

Dirty Birdy

Talking about tires, what combo wheels and tires is everyone running on their cars? I would like to use the Cadi sumbreros hub caps. 15" so thats the wheel Ill be running. What size tire looks best on these? Coker wide white... Firestone is what Im thinking for brand.

30. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

57 cadi hubcaps fit any steel wheel, with the other years, you have to use the centers from the caddilac factory wheels