Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Desert Beauty

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 28, 2013.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is it just me or does a great Shoebox always look like it's copying a Merc?:confused: Just my crazy perspective. No offense to Shoebox or Mercury guys. This is a very well done Shoebox. The color scheme is different, but works. Of course, I'm sure it would have looked better in person.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

7 1/2" front- 10 1/2" rear ?

They whacked that thing hard.

The rear glass looks comical.

Rich

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

unique ride but, bet in '55 it really turned some heads.

5. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I think I would have recessed the chrome grill. Cool car.

6. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

one of my favorite shoeboxes of all time , maybe it was the photos..

I personally have no taste for mercs and love shoeboxes I think the merc is trying to be like its little brother the shoebox

7. It is a copy of a merc, mercs are copies of lincolns and ford were copies of mercs. :)

Nice little Ford as little Fords go though.

8. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

The red top makes it look angry.(why ,cause it has lost it's trim around drivers side windshield.?)

9. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Very cool to see the mid century modern architecture with the mid century modern kustom. I'll bet it was quite a chore to live out there in the 50's as today we take interstate highways and airconditioning fro granted. Also like you said, just getting parts was dificult with LA at 100 miles away. Cool perspective on a time, place and car.
    Really love the way those Packard tail lights look on this kustom.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Joey,

Very creative, very good ! When I saw the caption "Desert Beauty" only one thing came to mind: "I hope it's what I think it is...George Gowland's Rod & Custom Cover Feature '51 Ford Custom !" And, you didn't disappoint me !!

I've loved that car since before you were born. I bought that September '55 Issue of R&C when I was in High School here in St. Louis, and have carried it around with me in my briefcase for years.

In 2006, at Darryl Starbird's, Spence Murray and I had a long talk about Gowland, and his car. You have to remember that it was built 58 years ago, no 1-800-Send-Me-The-Parts "help line" was available, and, as per Spence's profile of Gowland, his Desert Shop had been hit by some fast-moving flash-floods that wiped-out part of his garage, more than once, while he was trying to build that car !

BUT Gowland was a survivor, and Spence said that he was really a nice guy to work with on the article. Also, remember, Spence had to make a 200 mile roundtrip out there to do the feature in that scorching desert heat...and in 1955 his car did not have air conditioning !

As I told Spence at the time, that car is at once just so wild, cool, and, downright evil, all at that same time, that I've always been captivated by it. It would be the most impractical car in the World to try to drive...but it would make a helluva an Art Object to display in your Garage, or, driveway !! And if it were still "alive" today I'd buy it in a heartbeat !

One thing not mentioned in the article, and most people that look at the cover never pay attention to: THE ANTENNA IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT-FRONT FENDER...JUST A FEW INCHES FROM THE HEADLIGHT !!

When I asked Spence about this, he said Gowland did it "just to be different"...and that it was. As was the whole car !

Thanks, George Gowland, wherever you are. And, as always, Spence, stay safe. Good job, Joey !!

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I always liked that car and I was only 14 at the time it hit the cover. Heavy chops were for the pros as backyard choppers like me kept them simple for the metalwork required. This one would have taken all my money for lead. I loved the setting for the photo as I lived in the windy city in those days.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

grossly overchopped and a bit funny lookin if you ask me.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Maybe its the best of all: Merc, Desoto, Olds, Ford? A good Merc gets there without trying so hard.

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

doesn't look good at all, too much grille treatment and the body doesn't flow.The skirts look awrkward,like they don't fit the car.There are better shoeboxes of that era for sure

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I saw the rear taillight treatment and briefly remembered something about waking up on a spaceship, paralyzed, with something in my ass.

Anybody else?

16. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, well done! This one has already stirred up some debate. Sure there's a couple of things that I would change, but you have to marvel at what George created (without considering his remote location and flash flooding). Ya'll have a good weekend, Carp

17. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Sort of looks like a "buck toothed red headed step child" only in car form.:rolleyes:

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

19. rixrex

rixrex

I like the car..Greggs 51 (Gman) took that style,paint scheme,side chrome,grille, to a whole nubba lebbel, knocked it out of the park

20. Hmmm... not really jiving with this one. The roof has issues and the grille sticking out looks like the car has braces.

21. 4rod

4rod

Honestly, for the era its a good fit, I however prefer to keep the hood and grill of a showbox...something about a 49 and 50 that is unique...No other hood like it...its kind of a keep sake...I get bummed when the first custom work done is to change out the grill and fill the front part of the hood...its like castrating it before its even gets a pair...

22. I like it, and appreciate the craftsmanship.

The rear really needs the '56 Packard taillights, except they didn't exist then!!

Cosmo

23. oddcraig

oddcraig

Cool concept for the shoot but not a big fan of the car. That said we build these things to our individual taste which is what George did and that is all that matters.

24. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like customs much but I like this one a whole lot!

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

That's... something else..

The grille reminds me of..

[​IMG]

26. I STARTED TO RECREATE THAT CAR ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO AND GOT HALF WAY THRU THE PROJECT AND A MAN WALKED IN THE SHOP AND HAD TO HAVE IT..BOUGHT IT THE WAY IT WAS AND FINISHED IT A 60's STYLE. DIDN'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE IT WHEN IT WAS DONE. BUT I ALWAYS LOVED THAT CAR,WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT AGAIN ONE DAY.

27. Skirv

Skirv

No offense meant to those who don't like it because styling is subjective but there's nothing like another 60 years of styling exercises to supply a basis for critiquing. These early customizers were winging it and didn't have that advantage. I like it for what it is in the time frame it was constructed. Heck, I'd even like it if it was built now.

28. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I don't believe I would have told that..:eek:

29. verde742

verde742

always heard Merc's were Fords with lock washers. Lincoln's were Merc's with flat washers AND lock washers

30. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yup and Yup...