Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I flame it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1- shot slinger, Sep 5, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, Flame on!

139 vote(s)
    75.1%
  2. No, flames are played out!

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Hey guys, I'm a little torn on this decision. I know, I know, "it's my car" I should "do what I want."

I have a '49 Ford that has a rough paint job, and I wanted to give it a new personality, since I can't afford the body mods and to even put it in primer right now.

If I do go with the flames, I think I'll extend them back to at least the middle of the door and have them flow a little under the trim.

The car is definitely more on the hot rod side at the moment. I got it with a hopped-up 350 Chevy and a Saginaw 4-speed, and I'm running caps and rings. Eventually as I have the money, it will be transformed into a custom. For now I'm just having fun with it. What do you guys think? Should I leave it, or add the flames?

[​IMG]

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

I'll vote yes mostly just on your flame design layout. I like the way they flow.

Color is a whole 'nuther thing. On a black car, I've never liked the color fade starting with white, then yellow, orange, red tip, etc. I'd rather just start with the yellow, and go from there, and leave the white out of it.

On the shade of blue that you have, I could see starting with white or pale blue, then going to darker blue shades, outlined in a light blue pinstripe.

If that's too "cool" for flames, with your blue, maybe go with yellow, orange, dark orange, and leave off the red.

Good luck with it. Kinky6 :cool:

3. I'm not a huge fan of flames on shoeboxes, but those look pretty good. Go for it. It'll give you a chance to sling some 1-shot outlining them too, show off your skills.

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the outline looks good.. just paint the outline! dont fill em in.. it looks sooo god that way.. IMO... use a light blue and silver pinstripe to lay out the flames and leave it go. nice car BTW

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Flames are never played out if they are done correctly. I think you've done a nice job laying out the flames. The size is good, they curves are good and they look like you put some thought into it. As for color, if it were mine, I'd probably go with a neutral subtle color...
    1. Silver flames, solid color, with a black or white pinstripe outline.
    2. White flames, solid color, with a lighter blue or silver pinstripe

6. Go for it,,I think using the right colors it will look great. HRP

7. Sure why not, give it that high school parking lot look. :cool:

8. brady1929

brady1929

9. Terrible80

Terrible80

Since it seems by your post, it'll be a temporary paint job, I'd say do it--if you like it you can duplicate it later, if you grow tired of it, you can change it when you do the 'final' paint.

10. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Thanks for the input so far guys. As far as the colors, I was thinking the traditional fade from white, to yellow, to orange, to red. I like Kinky6's recommendation of a dark orange though. I just think that the yellows and oranges will really pop off the blue, and obvious color theory rule.

I like the idea of just white too, with a bright red outline, or a baby blue outline.

11. fireball350

fireball350

I second that. It looks good in that light blue fine line tape. Get someone to stripe on an outline in the color of your choosing.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

flames, most of the time, are cool. so, worth a try. since the car is so stock looking why not go with large pin stripes that incorporate flames outline? that way you could do something to rear of car too. also, would at least eliminate the trim rings, and possibly caps from rims. maybe paint rims black.

13. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Very nicely laid out!!! Do it!

14. flamecrazy

flamecrazy

Yep, looks good and the colors will too..

15. NO! Putting a flame job over a Rough Paint job makes no sense to me. It won't improve the car. Lipstick on a Pig comes to mind. Wait it out until you can put a decent paint job on the car, then Flame On.
    You asked for opinions ;)

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Yeah, really nice layout. It will look great.

17. ev88f

ev88f

Looks pretty cool with just the blue outline

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I sorta agree with Don, but well, its good practice I guess. And after its on there for a while, you will know for sure whether you want to do flames for keeps after the car is painted. I say yea, why not? Its not like you really have anything to lose here.

19. papajohn

papajohn

Yes- either white/yellow/orange or white/blue-green/darker blue-green

20. Flames for ever!

21. You should keep the car the same color and pinstripe the flames in the color of the tape that you used to make that template! Cause I think that would look cool!

22. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

I always enjoy looking at a tasteful flowing flame job.

23. We vote flames!

Those are well laid out and have that "trad" look.

I hope to flame my 49 when it's ready for the road.
    It's black and would look good with a yellow fade to orange. I'd do something like your pattern....

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

His names, "One Shot Slinger". I think he's got someone for the job.:D

25. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

RDFL Bitch... Flame that shit out! Looks killer!

Moonshine

26. Murch

Murch

My 7 yr old says real hot rods have flames, now I don't necisarrily agree or disagree with that, but I've always liked a good flame job, and that looks to be the start of a good flame job, I'd vote for stripe the outline in the tape colors idea, hell just leave the tape on and call it good, lol!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Flame it but please stay away from white on them!!!!!!

28. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

My two cents........love the flames! Go for it, if you don't like it you can always change it.

29. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Personally, I like the outline you did with tape, just paint it just like the tape line in the same blue, it has that High School Parking lot feel to it from the 50s.
    Since your not going for high end finished type job anyway.

I like flames on a car that can back it up, hot motor and a cool stance. I would not flame a 6cyl, stock height car, but that's just me.

Godspeed
    MrC.

30. noted1017

noted1017

I’m big on flames, go and do it. Looks good