Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features More than one way to build an 'A'

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. So is this a hot rod ?
    More like a Resto-rrection (resurrection of an old derilect by restoring the vitals)

3. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Very cool.

4. syxxstring

syxxstring

Might be more traditional than 99% of the builds we see out there. I bet a lot of the original hot rods started with just get it running so I can get a date then built from there.

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Read this..." slowly customize it to his taste, while leaving the honest patina in place. On the short list are juice brakes, and smaller diameter/ wider wheels (he’s thinking of just going down to 19″s, but I’m pushing him to go for 16″ Ford steelies)."......squint your eyes just a bit....ya just may see it.
    YUP

The day I drug home a butchered up T coupe body it was called the "hot rod" wouldn't call it anything else....

6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Jive, if i got the essence of your blog, it had more to do with the process than the product anyway.....correct me if i am wrong....

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

He'll have more fun with it if he goes about it in that fashion. Also, sounds like he's learned a lot about A's in the process which will only serve him as time goes on and maybe gets another project down the road. I did a similar thing with my first A, '28 Tudor. The cool thing is that there's a lot he can do without tearing it completely apart and never getting to have fun with it. Yes....I think it's about this type of process and not so much the ultimate product. Very cool!!!

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course it is not a hot rod. Yet. Way to go Mike!

9. racer32

racer32

Sounds like Mike V. and I are on the same build plan, but I have a coupe. Until the juice brakes are on, steelies probably won't fit. Tried it on mine, and the lugs are too short. Also, the A drum has nubs on it that keep steel wheels from sitting flush. I tried the 40 Ford wheels as the first "modification" from stock....19" wheels just look wrong on a hot rod.) 16" wires will work though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  10. Pockity pockity pockity pockity pockity.... ( typed version of a running model A)

11. I, too, am working on the "MikeV" plan, only with a '31 Tudor. I'm going 17" in the rear and 16" on front. Found 2 cars locally to source juice brakes from. I really want to get the thing running, but just haven't been able to make the time.....but it's coming!

[​IMG]

12. That's they way to do it!

13. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

I'll be pretty much on that course too with my Deuce, first get it running good, then we'll see what feels like being changed, but I do want to get to know it's character before messing with it.

Cheers, Eddie

14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ok, been really thinking about this particular blog.
    What an incredible opportunity to truly EXPERIENCE a hot rods transformation. Very few of us will ever get really EXPERIENCE and feel the changes we've made to our cars vs. a stocker....what a privilege.

15. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Love it! Wouldn't this be the ultimate "era-correct" build? of someone say in highschool, with a very limited budget, acquires a stock model a, and then slowly gives it some personal touches. I think this is great, get it to all running and driving stock, and then start the build! I am very interested in following this one!

16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

^^^^^^^^^^^^^exactly my point^^^^^^^^^^^^

17. So, will this be a build thread? Will Mike V start his own build thread? Do I subscribe?

18. catdad49

catdad49

Very interesting. I may try this myself in the future. Thanks Bomber.

19. jim galli

jim galli

....spark retarded. Anyone know what head that is with the square casting mark below the water outlet? Maybe it's already a hot rod. Might be 5:1 compression.

19's are funky on a 28-9 car. Although one of my '29 roadster's sported them for many years. It was a 1932 wreck that the local Ford dealer repaired, and they put on red painted 19" wheels and 1933 tan paint to make it look like the new models. I was 2nd owner.

20. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Same plan!

Attached Files:

21. racer32

racer32

Brett (and anyone else), I have a project thread in the Trad Hot Rod forum if Mike V doesn't start one: Pop's Coupe

22. I thought I would throw up a couple pictures to illustrate what unbolting some of the stock stuff does for one of these.

<a href="http://s448.photobucket.com/user/Wallingford_Hot_Rods/media/2013-02-151506471_zpsdd22ac49.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Pulled the bumper and spare tire. Installed Guide headlights. 5.50x16 front. 7.50x17 rear tires.

<a href="http://s448.photobucket.com/user/Wallingford_Hot_Rods/media/DSC_0087_zps20a1b931.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. flamingokid

flamingokid

24. oooohhh, love at first sight... hahaha nice..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. Definately my plan too - take a stocker through the stages a teenager would have done. Rush a mod here and there so its a little different for the next run (we all need a deadline to push us along).
    The difference is now it's 80 years old and still running around, instead of 10 - 20 years old. I'm happy to learn along the way to making my hot rod this way...

Like the pick-up to Hitchhiker ^^ subtle and nice stance.

I can't wait to swap out the mechanical brakes to get mine sitting right.

26. 2935ford

2935ford

28 29 tudor.....
    When I first arrived in SoCal in '61 one of the first Hot Rods I took note of was at my friends house. The beauty queen a few doors down boyfriend had a blue raked and V8 28/29......wow what a cool rod!

27. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Amen !!! Thats the way it was done in the day , there was no money and no mustang 2 front ends etc.........:eek:

We helped a friend do a 1929 Roadster pickup a few years ago , he is still driving it almost every day. It now has good brakes, a new engine , burns intake manifold , stromberg 81 carb, mallory ignition ( Bubbas of course) and a fresh mexican blanket for front seat upholstry.
    This car didnt have to be done on a small budjet it just was ! That was the orginal plan from day one....

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

29. This sounds like a popular plan!
    Heres my take. Take a stocker that was restored in the 70's and suffered long term storage. Get it running, rebuild a water pump, distributor, carb, and flush the radiator.
    [​IMG]
    Then add some big and little rubber and take the hood off for that hot rod look. I have a B carb for it but wasn't able to get it to run right, so the Tillotson went back on for now.
    [​IMG]
    Took off the bent spokes and had some stock 17's powdercoated.
    [​IMG]
    Theres my take on this idea!!!:)