Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hood alignment help requested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 F100, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 53 F100

53 F100

:eek: I finally reached the point where I installed the hood. So-cal supplied the appropriate hood bolts and I found the appropriate spring washers (5/8 diameter). Unfortunately the hood doesn't align properly. There is a large gap on the left side, and other then shimming the fender, I'm not sure how to close it. Any idea's?

2. tedster

tedster

What are you working on?

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Not much info to go on, but I'm guessing it's not the fender if the fender looks to be aligned to the body or doesn't it match ?
    Maybe it's the hood hinge ?
    Maybe it's where the hinge attach's to the hood ?

More info. would help for a better guess.

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

If it is your 55 get a owners manual. Also look at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site.
    The rods from the cowl to the radiator support are part of this process. It takes time, cussing and realizing that the original fit wasn't great also. Not trying to be a smart ass. Good luck .

5. 53-56 F-100 hoods can be a real Blister to get right. That's why there are Kits to flip it from the front. My self I wouldn't give you a dime for any of them. I have put shims between the hinge and cowl to get the hood out to the fender many times. I always remove the hood latch to adjust the hood. Be sure the Hood isn't going over center to get to the latch. Most often I end up raising the core support to get things right. First off be sure your hinges are tight and working correctly.
    You can do it.
    The Wizzard

6. rustrustler

rustrustler

A friend advised my son on his 56 f-100 to get the hood aligned right first then adjust the fenders to it.

7. conormulroney

conormulroney

This is the basic idea. With lots of cussing and redoing. But, you can do it!

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

That's correct, regardless of the vehicle. The alignment starts with an even gap between the hood rear edge and cowl. Make sure that's right, then align the rest of the sheet metal to fit.

Someone already said it but I'll reiterate because its vital... Make certain hinges are in as close to perfect order as possible.

These old trucks are notorious for bad sheet metal alignment from the factory. Back then perfect gaps weren't as important as utility.

It can be a real struggle to get everything to fit up to modern standards, so be patient.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I tried everything I could on my 53, but could not get there. Installed a flip front from Mid-fifties Ford and I love it.

10. cryobug

cryobug

This is the best way to get a good fit