Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Econoline for Harrison!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Sep 3, 2013.

1. I've been looking for an affordable project that I could drive while I work on it. I was leaning towards a Nova wagon but just couldn't find anything I could get excited about in my price range. Last Saturday morning I was stalking Craigslist and an Econoline popped up. I called, then hopped in my coupe and drove an hour to see it expecting it to be a bust. It wasn't.

It is a '65 Heavy Duty model with a 240 6cyl that runs. It wants to jump out of gear sometimes and the shifter feels squirrelly. I'm hoping this is the shift linkage bushing problem that seems to be relatively common in these things. It has one repaint on top of original white. There are rust holes here and there but overall it's pretty good. At least there's something to weld to when I repair a spot.

Plans call to strip it, get it in epoxy primer and repair one panel at a time. When all that's done I want to shoot it in Marlin Blue. No modifications though. This one will be bone stock.

I'm pretty pleased with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed home....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home after a steel wool bath....

[​IMG]

Figured I'd try to get the back end looking decent so the neighbors don't totally throw a fit.... but my DA crapped out about the time I finished only one door.

[​IMG]

Anyway, that's it. Just wanted to share. I'll keep this thread updated as progress is made.

JH

2. Jim,have I told you lately that I hate you!,,now that you have the van find out about the camper. HRP

3. alchemy

alchemy

Those little 6's sure had big generators. And they mounted funny off to the side like that.

4. Haha.....took me a minute to get that.

Cool van, I've always wanted one! Looks pretty solid. I'm going to look at one this weekend.....:)

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Scooby will look great in that, Shaggy!

Rich

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

yep, 61-67 econolines might be the last affordable projects. if you do keep it stock and don't lower it, they can drive just fine. I've got a 64 nodoor that I really love.have fun with it.

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Is it me or do these vans take on a distinct elephant look when sporting West Coast Jr mirrors?

Especially that shot of it on the tow dolly. Reminds me of Ringling Bros and an elephant with its foot up on a barrel.

Always dug 'em. Many childhood memories of sitting on a warm engine cover with the world passing by in that huge windshield.

One day..

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You got the Heavy Duty one, and early Econolines are a blast to drive.

9. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I learned to drive in one of those, same color and everything. If you can, can you post pictures of the inside? Gives me a little tear in my eye

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice score.If you ever want to up the cubes a bit,bore the cyls to the smallest OS to clean up the bore and use the rotating assy from a 300 ci.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. Gator

Gator

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I have an F-100 that's painted Marlin Blue , it's a great color that will look good on that van.

13. jay t.

jay t.

Always wonder why most of theses vans have the noses pushed in a little? You would think sitting that close to the front of the truck you could see everything. Good luck with your new toy makes me want get going on mine.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! I hate to be the one to break it to you though, that's not a 240. Thais most likely a 200, but it could be as bad as a 170.

15. I really miss mine. Been looking a bit for one myself. (don't tell my wife!!):D

16. NL, how can you tell its not a 240. I'm just going on what I was told....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

On a 240 300 the carb and manifold are on the left side of the engine and the manifold unbolts from the head. On the 144, 170, 200, 250 engines the manifold is part of the head and on the right hand side. I'm no Econoline guy, but I don't believe that the bigger six was available in these vans until '67, and at that point the mount cross members and such changed pretty drastically. I have never done it, but I'm told that with the later engine cross member and attendant stuff the 240/300 will go into this mess pretty easily, but not without the later, wider engine lid as well.

Fear not though, that little Falcon six is one hell of a cool little engine to play with, and with some real gears or an overdrive trans can push one of these along fairly well, and turn back some pretty good mileage figures as well. Dig through one of the two Falcon threads to get an idea of what we've been doing with these. I'll give you a hint though, Start with a '74-'83 Dura spark II distributor, and they need vastly improved carburation. My carb of choice is the Weber 32/36 progressive two barrel.