Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Axcell's 1955 f100 clone build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sfeldma, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

The new tires and wheels and stance brought your truck to a whole new level!! (literally!)

Looking fantastic man, so glad you chose bias plies.

Truck looks great as it sits now!

2. I'm liking this truck alot. Cant wait to see more

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. sfeldma

sfeldma

Update time. Last summer I took the truck as-is to some local shows and otherwise just had fun driving it around town. It's fun to drive as long as you stay clear of the ruts in the road and don't need to go faster than 55. Sometime last September the engine all of a sudden started running coughing and sputtering, so I shut it down and hauled it back to the shop. Rather than troubleshooting the problem, I just decided to yank the engine and rebuild. So I pulled the dog house off and pulled the engine, and then got distracted by other projects. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sfeldma

sfeldma

The engine is now rebuilt. Nothing fancy, just your basic 8BA engine. I'm not building a hot rod, and the truck had plenty of power for me in it's stock configuration. I did make two modern upgrades to prolong engine life: I add a modern full-full oiling system and added a hidden PCV valve under the intake manifold.

Oh, and I primered it and painted it gold metallic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan is to do some minor cleanup of the firewall and inner fenders and put the truck back together and get some miles on the new engine to make sure all the kinks are out. I'm also going to redo my wiring to get the engine compartment as clean as possible.

6. Diggin' the gold!!

7. sfeldma

sfeldma

Actually, it's not gold, my bad, it's VHT burnt copper metallic.

I can't tell you how cool it looks in the full sun. It's like a sparkling jewel.

My plan is to paint the firewall and inner fender gloss white so the engine really stands out. Pow! Since I have no picture of the engine compartment from the original truck, I'm making some guesses on how it might have looked. Of course, the original truck was a '55 so I'm sure it was not running a flathead. But they were crazy with color in 1958 so I'm hoping my scheme/plan works with the rest of the truck.

8. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Beautiful. It's going to look killer.

9. BobbyV53

BobbyV53

Looks killer! I painted my engine the exact same color and love it!

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well now that Ryan is reconfiguring this website all kinds of cool things are popping up. Carl! You da man, after my own heart. Recreating the vehicles and revealing the culture around these old icons that captured us is what its all about (for me).

Seeing more of this done is fantastic. As with everybody else I remember this cool F-100. Good on ya.

11. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Just stumbled on this build, ill be following....

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hi there, I don't have anything to add to this thread except to say hello from another Kustom truck guy, great choice of build, good luck and you can bet your boots that I will be following this thread from now on.
    Paul

13. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Kool build, you might look at '58 Impala interior samples they had a red that had a pinkish cast to it. It kind of looked like tomato soup made with milk, might be what your looking for.

14. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

Just found this thread and its awesome.

15. navyboy

navyboy

Got to cruise with the sid mobile at a reliability run, he has an awesome truck, yours looks great as well.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

Any updates,
    and, do you have any pics showing the tires mounted up as viewed from front to back?

I plan on using the same wheels but want the tire to balloon out an look a little wider than what it really is.

17. Clevername

Clevername

Just stumbled upon this thread. First off, your truck looks great with the new stance and that 8BA looks awesome!
    As far as trying to get the colors "original", looking at mag covers may be flawed. I am not sure about the printing methods used back in the day, but I bet they didn't just import the photo into a computer program -get my drift? I am sure there was a bit more of color setting or manipulation (think silk screen). I would think your own judgement minus actual color codes of course, would be better than a mag cover. I gotta think the original builder had good taste, and your taste is similar...so do what you think is right. Good fortune with your build.

Kelvin

18. cmarcus

cmarcus

Just found this, and would love to know if anything additional has happened!