Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamingokid

flamingokid

It will all work out.Every good website needs a shakeup once in a while.....fingers crossed and promise not to bitch,at least not at first.

2. An attentive ear is the wise man's joy.

3. I am curious about the social groups, are they on the chopping block? Would hate to lose them.

4. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The Hokey Ass Message Board

5. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Focus!
    I dig it... so for the while if I want to review an old thread like "Bass '29 Model A Roadster Chassis Build...lots of pics"
    I would then look in General Discussion? and not yet in Traditional Hot Rods.
    And this will change?? or will all old threads no matter how 'Trad and True' just remain in General D?
    Thanks to keep(ing) THE FOCUS;)
    S2

6. Muttley

Muttley

I like where the HAMB is heading..........just dont tell anyone, I have a reputation to uphold as the guy who hates everything. ;) :D

7. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Dead on!

8. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

thanks ryan for creating the h.a.m.b you are doing a great job the change can only make it better

9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Ok, after reading, learning more, and checking out a few other sites, I think I will stay. I am pretty sure that my 37 Dodge truck fits here, and it is a long way from a porshe. As it has always been nobody like change, but we all live through it, keep up the great work Ryan.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is a repost and pretty much sums up my feelings:

As a soon to be "casualty", I find it interesting that there is a pitch from some for "life style" along with car style. Having grown up in the fifties and making a living in the hot rod industry from 1961 on, the "life style" promoted here is bogus. Too many here are living in a time warp that has absolutely no relation to hot rodding as we knew it in the fifties and sixties. Hot rodders as I knew them were always looking for a better way to build a car using the latest AFFORDABLE technology. Yet, some kid who bought some little books last week at Pomona is ready to rag on anyone looking to be a little safer by using LED tail lights.

I've got 10 HAMB Alliance plaques in my desk drawer and I've bought some stuff at Coker and the Hot Rod Shop. My savings didn't even come close to what the membership cost me. However, I have no problem in supporting the HAMB based on the information exchanged here. It's going to be interesting to see how the traditionalists, most of whom weren't even born before the 1965 cutoff, handle the return of the HAMB to nothing but traditional posts.

If I were Ryan, I'd get something like the Alliance going over on DOGFIGHT ASAP as there's going to be a lot more business over there!

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It will never be an us vs. them thing for me. I think looking at that way is bad for everyone. To me, it's more about getting back to our roots.

12. "Yet, some kid who bought some little books last week at Pomona is ready to rag on anyone looking to be a little safer by using LED tail lights."

"I've got 10 HAMB Alliance plaques in my desk drawer and I've bought some stuff at Coker and the Hot Rod Shop. My savings didn't even come close to what the membership cost me. However, I have no problem in supporting the HAMB based on the information exchanged here."

I have to agree with denis here. Having said that, I fear that the kid with the "little books" will always float to the surface occasionally. We will deal with them as they come up.
    As far as LED tail lights, I have them on my 47. I just don't talk about that too much.
    Second, I look at my alliance memberships as making sure that the light bill continues to get paid at the HAMB. What I get in entertainment far exceeds the cost.
    I do want to ask a favor for us 60 plus geezers that aren't as computer savvy as some of you. When we ask a question that may seem simple to you, don't assume it is simple to us. We are going to need help with navigation, and questions of forum etiquette. Flaming is part of that. Some of the best laughs I've had on the HAMB were at my own expense!
    We will get through these changes, and I think I agree that those changes will be better.
    Before you complain, think about how it would be if you were the one responsible for making those changes.
    You can bet I'm staying around to see what shakes out.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks Mike... and thanks Denis. Sincerely.

14. That is because the Alliance has only been in existance since 2006. You have bought two too many memberships.

15. OK, lets suppose I'm signing on the HAMB this morning with my coffee and, today I want to surf hot rods. I go to the hot rod side, right?
    When I'm through there, if I still have coffee left, I might want to back up and go to General Discussions, for instance. Is that how it will work? Instead of everything all on one menu, posts will be separated as to specifics.
    Other forums I've been on were separated, and it worked. I didn't have to deal with things I had no interest in.
    I may learn to like that.....

16. Fred friends right?

Other then the numbers on the block can you really tell me the difference between a '64 and a '66 327? If I stroked a 327 would it be not traditional? I mean I could stroke it and come up with 350" easy enough.

Now if we are talking Ford small blocks yes they changed drastically over the years. Well actually they didn't but just for the sake of arguement (and being the ass that I have been known to be).

I am thinking that if your engine is off year wise or cubic inch wise (as if the we are hiring techs to keep us in the right weight class) throw it in General discussion. then if it gets moved to hot rod pat yourself on the back.

At the risk of sounding religious here I think we need to be careful that we don't swallow an elephant then choke on a mosquito.

17. Model T1

Model T1

18. To me, I liken the changes to the calls being monitored by the government, in that if you aren't planning a terror attack, you have nothing to worry about...if you aren't dropping a fuel injected Taurus Yamaha SHO motor into your 49 Ford..you have nothing to worry about. Seems that Ryan is reorganizing in a good way, just trying to make sure the site focuses on what he set out to do. At first I was worried that 60's Gasser stuff was to be completely eliminated and that all posts were going to have to involve J2 Olds, Ford Flatheads being dropped into Model T's and Model A's. Like others I thought it was the End of Days and that the sky was falling, it seems now that this is not the case. I really like it here and even though my username might infer I am into 'later' stuff being a 67 Camaro, I also have a T Coupe I am about to begin on and my dad was heavy into racing in the 60s with his 409 powered 55 (he now building a car with Gasser overtones -albeit a 68 Camaro, which I will not post on here due to the year cut off that I respect).

Anyways I am glad to be on this forum and I am not rich like most of us, but was easy, for me to decide, during this time of refocus to put my money where my mouth is and support the forum as an Alliance Member, really this place is well worth the $50! and if this $50 helps makes the forum better by allowing the owners to improve the site through content and technololgy upgrades, well I am glad to support that!

19. "Way before computers were popular I was tinkering on old cars and building them the NEW way, with later updates."

My first car, a bullet nosed 51 Stude, would have had a ton of technical upgrades like discs, if they had been available at the time. But they weren't, and that is part of the point that Ryan is making with the HAMB.
    These rods and customs had the ambiance they have because of what was available at the time. They show a period of technology that, good or bad, lived in a finite window of history. That's it. Simple. No B.S. about lifestyle, no "how to re-invent the wheel."

20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This thread is one of the most entertaining on the H.A.M.B.

21. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I dig this statement.. kinda..

but also,

I feel like that "finite window of history" is what the HAMB focuses on.

It can be a lifestyle if you want it to be though.

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I recently made the suggestion in the Questions & Suggestions section that it would be useful if there were a way to transfer content - and access, come to think of it - between the HAMB and Dogfight. I don't know if it's technically possible or logistically feasible. The surfeit of cool but slightly OT content on the HAMB and the lack of traffic on Dogfight do seem to be complementary conditions, though; two birds, as it were, which may be killed with one stone.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  23. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Ryan

You having fun yet?

I love the fact that the build threads will be in a differnet forum now, I wonder how many I missed in the past. I know many I have seen where bumped up from the past and think Damn another one I missed.
    For the rest of the changes. Will have see if content suffers or not.

24. OK,
    Just went to the Dogfight. It took me awhile to dig my passwords out of the drawer, but I got it done.
    Ryan, Dogfight may really be the answer. I graduated from H.S. in 66. You had hoods and jocks, and nerds. But anyone interested in cars was part of a fourth unspoken group that was inclusive, as long as you were really into cars.
    You/I could flit in and out of those other groups because you were known in "the car group". But you were always part of the "car group".
    Those of us that are into what would be O/T on the HAMB will find a ready forum for things like AOD transmissions, and electronic fuel injection.
    If, on the other hand, I'm needing help with the traditional aspects of my 47 tudor, the HAMB is there.
    I don't buy all my groceries in one store. I'm not married to one forum.

25. Model T1

Model T1

I enjoy this forum site. But maybe we should all go check out Dogfight. Not leave here. As Mike wrote, we can shop in more than one place.
    I can see my cars are not really gonna fit here because of the home installed upgrades.
    I still feel radials and dual master cylinders are a great addition to any car or truck. Granpa would have done it in 1921 if they were available. I know, they weren't but when hauling a wife and kids safety is important. I think! I've had several single master cylinders go out. It ain't fun.

26. Ha I lost a master in my Galaxie when I first got on here. Thank gawd for reverse.

The split master is a kind of a fallacy, if it makes you feel safe then by all means use on and be blissful. A split master more often than not goes all the way out just like a single.

There is a way to get a dual master without going modern and radials were available and in use in the late '50s and early '60s (sorry that's pretty much where memory starts for me) just not commonly used.

I think we are starting to get off track, and cussing and discussing things that have been cussed and discussed to death.

Making changes to the forum is like working in a foundry. The dross will come to the top and it will get skimmed until everything is pure and perfect. That is not just taking into account those who don't fit the forum but the changes that didn't work as planned as well.

Yea its going to be hot for some of us both those working and those spectating, but in the end the product will be good. It always has been and all we have to go on is past experience.

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I think dogfight should be broken up as well..65 and earlier builds, 65 and newer..I tried the site awhile ago but there was just too much going on to have the same vibe as here, and I know my builds will never be considered traditional so I will be moving somewhere in the future.

28. Why leave, the site here is not all about everyone's personal builds, it is about sharing information, and being around like minded people.

I have been known to work on a modern street rod from time to time. I don't spend a lot of time telling about it here. Not because I am afraid someone will be offended but this is the place where I don't have to deal with that crap and can relax and enjoy myself.

I think that there seems to be this fear of not fitting in, or not being cool. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke, be yourself and forget about what everyone else thinks.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes, people in this group ( and I'm one of them ) start out with a disadvantage.

Just like getting involved right at the tail end of the period this Site caters to, and then spending many decades gradually moving away from that style of car while following the trends of the day, is a disadvantage.

But the right kind of person, who is serious about gathering information and has a genuine interest for these kind of cars can overcome these initial setbacks.

Regardless of age, or maybe even where they are from...

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was born before '65...

Ryan, stay the course, you are ABSOLUTELY on the right track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.