Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does "Water Wetter" work as advertised?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Guys is it to good to be true? Does this product work to lower temp?

Here is a link to the product:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives

www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10 Cached
    These products include a unique agent that lowers temperatures by reducing or eliminating bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces

2. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

We have used a few brands of "water wetter" in our race car and it does work to some extent. I have found that it lowers the temp around 8 to 10 degrees in our drag car.

Mark

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Inquiring minds want to know. The nailhead in my '50 chevy tends to run hotter than I like on 100 degree days. If it works I'll use it. Subscribed to hear some opinions from experienced users.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  4. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I used Royal Purple's version of it in one of my trucks and I noticed a 5-10 degree lower temp on the gauge. It also takes longer to get to up to a high temp where as before I would have to watch the gauge in heavy traffic or at a long lite. It worked for me.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

I saw 10 degrees in my OT Vette my dad's was even better 15-18 in his OT Vette

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Got friends who ran it in their demo derby cars & swore by it. ( and they did very well)

7. jimstro16

jimstro16

Yes, I;ve used it for years now and it lowers temp about 10 degrees.

8. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

It dropped the Temp about 15 Degrees in my T and Edsel....

9. Willy_P

Willy_P

This has been covered many times before .

Go to google and enter this search string...
    water wetter site:jalopyjournal.com

There are several pages of hits.
    Ten on the first page average 20+ responses.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i run it in my willys with a 455 buick... wouldn't run without it... drops my temps by 10+ degrees

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

yes. as mentioned it's good for about 10 degrees

12. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

It's ok dropped the temp in my sedan about 10 degrees or so.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was in a Service Center to buy some Water Wetter. The counter guy asked if the radiator was aluminum or copper/brass. He said Water Wetter isn't good for aluminum, Royal Purple Ice was better. Since I had just replaced a leaking aluminum radiator, I went with Purple Ice. However, a well planned cooling system shouldn't need anything. The hottest my cars ran were 180 once the cooling system was sorted out.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  14. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

True gassergarage both products do work. Irun them in my race cars.

15. five0merc

five0merc

I run it in my supercharger system on my truck. Works great. Just follow the amounts listed. If you use too much it foams.

16. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Water Wetter simply serves to increase the surface area of the water to enhance cooling system efficiency. You can achieve the same thing for free with just a bit of dish soap from the kitchen sink. Just open the radiator cap, squeeze in a few tablespoons worth of dish soap, put the cap back on and voila. I know it sounds crazy and then the whole "soap suds" thing comes to mind, but the cooling system is sealed, and the small amount of dish soap in relation to total cooling system capacity isnt really high enough to make it all sudsy. I have used this trick for years in both stock applications and high performance applications and it too lowers temps by 10-15 degrees on average. It is all about surface area!!!! Increase the surface area, increase cooling efficiency :)

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  17. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

Downey fabric softener works as well, used it in dirt cars for years. About 2 capfulls in a full sized radiator.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  18. A while back when I had my first hot tub and it was time for its first cleaning. This was a big 8x8 tub with a lip mounted gazebo and everything. The manual said to add 2 cups dishwashing detergent into the water and let the tub run for 30 mins before draining it. So that's what I did, 1/2 bottle of dawn dishwashing liquid. There were bubbles coming out of the gazebo roof vents, that's how I could tell where the center of the tub was thru the fucking mountain of bubbles.
    There had to be a 30 foot diameter by 10 high mound of bubbles. That was some funny shit.

Seams there's a bit of a difference between dish washing detergent for machines and dish washing liquid for sinks.

19. It works well in original Model A's. It lowers my temp 8-10 degrees.

20. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Drops the temp in my '64 Chevy pickup 10-15 degrees on a nice warm, summer, Las Vegas day.

21. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

From the Water Wetter MSDS
    Contains:
    DiIsopropyl Alcohol Ether 1-40%
    Tri Isopropyl Alcohol DiEther 1-40%
    Sodium Molybdate 2-10%
    Tolyltriazole 1-3%
    PolySiloxane Polymer​

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  22. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I read somewhere that it was the same stuff they drop on forest fires, mixed with the water.

First drain most of your antifreeze. Water cools better by itself.
    I did this on a summer trip to L.A.. Car was close to overheating everyday. Drained the antifreeze into a jug and filled with water. Instant fix.

23. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Seen similar results as well. Also keep in mind that it can also help with cavitation.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Not sure if this applies to the question or not,...but on the show "Wheeler Dealers", (from U.K.) they used a "waterless coolant" in one of the cars. Supposedly, with no water in the system, rusting and boiling are "eliminated".

Has anyone heard of this ? I never have seen, or heard of it here in U.S.A.

4TTRUK

25. pimtina

pimtina

Search evans coolant

26. I used it in my chopped and channeled 32 pick-up for years helped lower the temp about 15 degrees when cruising the back to the 50's fair grounds
    !

27. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

I had a rock crawler Jeep and on the long, slow, grinding trails-the fun ones- the temp would always creep up. Winch blocking grill, power steering run through radiator trans cooler and a radiator mounted trans cooler restricted the airflow just enough to worry after an extended crawl. Added a bottle of water wetter and never had another problem.

28. Yep, you're right...That is some funny shit! :)
    Thank god I wasn't drinking anything...

Just like everyone else. I use it and it drops the temp about 10-15 degrees

29. KIRK

KIRK

Like the others said, it's good for about a 10 degree drop. I didn't know it should not be used in aluminum radiators. It's been in mine 5 years with no trouble.