Register now to get rid of these ads!

What project have you bought for scrap price, lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 2, 2013.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Just curious if anyone out there is still finding projects for around $500. range or have the scrappers just about got em all now?

What have you found lately? (seen or bought)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. raidmagic

raidmagic

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

Couldn't believe my eyes, really junkie angle iron trailer at the scrap yard had a '32 heavy axle and an unsplit wishbone under it. Paid $43.00 for the whole thing then spent 2 days scarfing welds and grinding. Now under my new '32 project.

4. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Beautiful 1940s Dodge Truck front sheetmetal.
    I mean headliner was still in it. Glass all good. Straight metal with pretty old red color.
    I traded engine blocks and frames to the junkers.

5. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Ive bought some good stuff for less than 500 with title that was pre 50's. Then again I have came across pure junk without a title and they were asking 3,000 it is out there you just have to scour the areas. Also if you know someone who scraps cars allot of the time if you make good friends with them you can get good cars for maybe 100-200 more than they paid.

6. I got my 1928 Hudson for $500, and then found a trailer for $50, that had rear Hudson leaf springs (that i didnt get with car) and rear fenders, as well as hub covers in great condition. Cut rest of trailer up for firewood. Im turning it into a Speedster.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

OT Tag Sale buy for $500 that I put plates on and have driven for 5 months now. Found a 1940 Ford front fender in the local yard I bought for scrap weight, that turned a $58.00 profit. I keep looking for those '32 heavy axled trailers, without luck. Bob

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I just sold a 49 Chrysler sedan for $500. It ran like new, even the brakes worked. But racoons ate the interior and the floor and rockers were rotten. The chrome was badly corroded. It also had a $250 sun visor on it. I think I gave the buyer a good deal.

9. 53 chevy rat

53 chevy rat

I bought a 53 chevy 4 door and yes I know a 4 door lol for $100 has all the chrome a 235 insert motor 3 on the tree that's been sitting for 22 + years and all the lights work even the dash lights my 5 and 6 year old boys and me are gonna build us a rat rod out of it and have a blast doing it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

bought a complete model a chassis engine trans fenders and set of two door sedan seats along with an extra frame for 500 bucks ran good and got it off of fleabay

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Off topic but just yesterday I sold a 1966 VW beetle with 23000 miles on it for $1500. Including a raft of parts worth several hundred dollars.

12. Buy my '58 Rambler, I've been asking $750.

In fact, about the same money would take the '37 Terraplane 2-door I saved from the crusher in May, too.

Attached Files:

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Whoops. Somebody doesnt know the unspoken words.

14. 53 chevy rat

53 chevy rat

What are the unspoken words lol

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

"rat rods" are not really welcome here...

16. 53 chevy rat

53 chevy rat

Lol I see

17. jazz1

jazz1

this jewel of the north cost me $250. typical story,,the guy bought and 3 years later had never touched it so his wife told him to get rid of it.

[​IMG]

the green truck is off to a slow start but initially it got some loving and a thick coat of epoxy for added protection

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  18. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Amazing these little binders don't get more love than they do . Get to work we wanna see a sweet shop truck out of it. Besides it was cheap enough.

19. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Just call it patina......

20. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Bought from a scrapper , and had it delivered...$450.00

Attached Files:

21. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

there is a HUGE difference between "patina" and a "rat rod"... patina is something that on SOME cars (most of em not) is nice to preserve, while a rat rod is something that belongs on a scrap heap waiting to be crushed... i'm talking about "art cars" and unsafe clapped out hunks of shit with bubble gum welds and spider webs... rebar is for construction

22. Uteslider

Uteslider

Picked up my Mk2 Zephyr for $150 with no wheels. Asked around and a friend gave me 4 wheels for free. The Zephyr's owner was a rat rodder waiting for it to get more rust, so I figure I saved her from a fate worse than scrap.

23. RacerRick

RacerRick

In the last year I picked up a 57' Dodge shortbed half ton pickup that was complete except for the engine/trans for $400 with a title, and recently picked up a rusted out but complete 59' Chevy parts truck for $250. It is donating parts to my other 59' Apache that I picked up for cheap, but more than scrap value.

There is lots out there still.

24. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

A friend of mine is moving out of state and so donated a '57 GMC 300 series to me, Free for the hauling. His wife was about to call the "haul off the scrap" folks.

I went to get it this weekend and found that it is too wide to fit on my trailer. I guess that next weekend I will try plan "B". Plan "B" involves a towing company and cash outlay.

After that I get to experience the fun of getting a bonded title.

I attempted to take pictures but had various misfortunes and so I will post pictures and the full story when I get them.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Its a huge challenge to find a project you like for that kind of coin but I love the hunt.;)

26. rayjzyd

rayjzyd
    from Washington

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378262953.843762.jpg
    My 36 Chevy traded a project bike. Going kinda custom with the roof and doors. And saving the patina that she has.

27. rayjzyd

rayjzyd
    from Washington

About 100 in trade for the 36

28. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

29. linexrandy

linexrandy

Bought this yesterday for $600 with title:
    [​IMG]
    Sadly around here just the cab would go for $800-1200 with no title. People think these things are gold. I was just the lucky guy that called first on the craigslist ad.

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have a friend who is building one who would love to have that bed and rear fenders, (Not that I would seperate yours at all)Hes using a diffrent year bed and dodge rear fenders on his but it doesnt look too bad.

Good score!