Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Doodle Bug to Hot Rod (Model A build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonewolf52, Aug 25, 2013.

1. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Well, I found a Model A doodle bug that I couldn't pass up for the price. As I'm sure most of you know, most doodle bugs have the frame cut off right behind the axle. This frame is just about perfect. The front end, radiator, and grill shell are all in great shape. Other than the rust in the corners, the cowl is very solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started disassembly and every nut and bolt came off easily.

More to come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Also picked up a B head this morning for $10!
    [​IMG]

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

5. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I always regret not buying this one.

[​IMG]

6. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

That one with the tracks is awesome. If this one had been more hacked up, I probably would drive it around the yard as is.

I probably should have talked a little more about my plans for it. I'm going to rebuild the motor and hop it up a little. I've got the B head which will be worked over and am looking for a B cam.

Body wise, I'm thinking of building a boat tail, full hood, and a track-ish nose.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Good on ya! There are a bunch of those up our way. I'm going after one this weekend.

8. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Patmanta, good luck. Some of them have a lot of potential, others not so much.

[​IMG]

These fins should add about 100 horse power right?

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back to a hot rod, eh? I can almost see it now, but it's going to be a stretch. Gary

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The last Doodle Bug I saw sell at auction brought about $300.

11. Me and the kid were at an auction a while back where they had a row of doodlebugs, we spotted one with a roadster cowl. They were all going cheap until they got to the one we found, turned out it was built with some kind of name brand aftermarket conversion kit and the tractor guys bid it way up.

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool start. Good luck and enjoy the build.

Here's what my coupe looked like when I started:

[​IMG]

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I didn't end up picking it up this weekend. It was too much to get into the back of my truck and it had a wasp nest in one of the cylinders. I may still get it with the help of a trailer though. We shall see!

How is yours coming along?

What's the rear end it's got on there? Is that an early heavy truck rear?

14. Hmmm, that's about 20hp per fin, but since one's short you'll probably only net 95hp :D

15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

love those old doodlebugs

16. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

I'm making progress! I don't have any pictures at the moment, but the motor is out and mostly disassembled. The skirts on two of the pistons were broken but everything else looks good. The other two are aluminum.

I got a really nice '39 Chevy truck hood which I'll put on backwards for the boat tail.

I also traded the rear end (30-31 truck) for four 19" spoke wheels that are perfect. I'm pretty sure they have been in storage for the last 80 years.

I can't do much work on the boat tail until I have a rear end. Hopefully I'll find one soon.

Crash Farmer and Rich B,
    Around here they usually go for $800-$2500. I picked this one up for $300. I figure the frame and front end are at least worth that.

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You got a really good deal for nice parts. I don't see much any rust. I have paid more for less and worse up in our neck of the woods.

18. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Yeah I've been looking for a very long time. If I come across any more I'll let you know.

19. bgaro

bgaro

i found a flathead guru out in amesbury, this guy pours babbits and everything.

20. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Cool. I'll have to pay him a visit before I put the engine back together.

Does anyone know an easy way to tell the difference between original Ford wire wheels and reproductions?

I still can't quite believe the deal I got on my wheels and I'm starting to wonder if they're original. I doubt the guy I got them from would have repops but I'm curious.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

You have the same luck as me. :) Things will go cheap except the thing that I want.

22. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Just a few quick pictures of my wheels and the '39 hood. The engine disassembly is almost done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Have you mocked it up at all yet? Give us a pic!

24. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Not mocked up yet. I'm hoping to get I rear end this week and then I'll be able to mock it up and start on the body.

25. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

What are you looking for as far as a rear end? There's a few banjos up on CL this week in our general area that I've got bookmarked if you don't already have a lead on one.

26. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

I looking for anything that's complete and has juice brakes. This car has a really tight budget so it's going to take some searching. I think I've got one lined up now.

I'm also trying to find something as narrow as possible. I'm running 400 x 19 tires so I need everything narrow as shit for proportions.

27. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

I got busy so this has been on hold for a bit, but I finally have some updates. My search for a rear end lead me to a 1950 Ford 226, three speed, and 3.73 rear for DIRT CHEAP. I was looking forward to running the 4 banger but this is going to save me alot of time and money. I drove the car with the motor and tranny in it before it was pulled and it ran like a top.

As usual time and money are tight, but I'm hoping to work on it more often in the coming weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's COOL, IMO!

I bet that'll get you up and running PDQ. Speed parts might be hard to come by, but you don't need all that right off the bat. It'll give you something to look for at swaps down the line.

There was a thread I read into a while back on 223's:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430978

29. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Thanks for the link. Apparently they are pretty good engines. I had the same tranny in my '52 so I know that is good.

As far as speed equipment goes, it looks like my Offy 3 carb intake from my OHV 215 will bolt right up. We'll see.