Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not at all worried about my moderators. Each of them own and drive the kinds of cars I want to feature here. They get it.

If you get "fucking tired" of young guys, however, this place might exhaust you. We are all pretty young and we are all pretty spunky. So, fair warning.

2. Makes sense, logical. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

3. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I like it. Bring it on:D

4. ... I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is a "beta" and does that mean my skin is gonna itch ....

... seriously, P&B's question needs answered .... are the late fifties and sixties hot rods gonna get stuffed in the trash can?

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

In a couple weeks... when topics are moved around, we as posters should have a better idea of what goes where, as far as the general or dedicated forums. We are all here to learn, right? My thoughts are if in doubt, use the general. Don't post it in all three.

6. Beta usually means it's a fully functioning version used for testing. It could possibly make your skin itch.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I remain cautiously optimistic! I do like the idea of retaining a "general discussion" section of the forum, because like it or not, beyond what it strictly traditional, the H.A.M.B. has become an information source far beyond anything else I can imagine anywhere else on the planet. To see that dismantled would hurt a bunch. On the other hand, I could live quite happily with out 19" wheels and S-10 frame swaps, but even in some cases threads like that have sparked an idea or two of stuff more commonly available that can be modified to make it LOOK the part of vintage. And, threads such as the two running Falcon threads, C10 trucks thread, and hell, even the dumb assed vintage mini bike thread contain more information geared to what WE do with these vehicles that the actual web sights that cater to them. It would be damn shame to have these outlets gone.

At first blush I'm happy to see the Traditional Hot Rod and Traditional Customs threads spun apart from one another. I've been super vocal in the past about my previous distaste for custom cars. But recently I've mellowed out quite a bit on that and actually started paying a bit of attention to customs. How in Hell did that happen? Slow news day on the H.A.M.B., click on a custom thread to "see how the other half lives", maybe point a finger and laugh a bit... But come away enlightened instead! I guess there will be nothing wrong with clickin' on Traditional Customs every now and then...

8. Seriously? have you read the threads by these guys?,,they know their Poop!. HRP

9. I've never heard that many F-Bombs by an old dude before....

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'm liking the new layout plans. Sounds good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Kinky6

Kinky6

Ryan, I think that there is a core concept to the HAMB that you are working very hard to preserve, and I think that core concept is what sets this place apart from any other rod website.

As much as I like builds that are well over 95% vintage parts (frame, driveline, body, etc.) like Mr. Model T's roadster, I realize that not everyone will be able to build to that standard.

This does get onto a slippery slope, but I'd like to see some room left for builds that keep the "modern tech" stuff out of sight. Say a Olds engine in a '50's sedan, backed up by an overdrive automatic, for example. I think that it would be good to have a tech section, maybe under General Discussion, for the T-5's, 700r4's, and such. Either that, or take that stuff over to Dogfight, along with the MII front ends and hidden air conditioning systems.

I'd like to see some room left for rods that are strongly vintage flavored, even if that involves a certain amount of fakery. I don't think anyone wants to see rods on here that harken back to the tweedy billet nonsense of a couple of decades ago.

Anyhow, keep it up, I'm sure I'll always find something of interest on the HAMB.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

12. masters9661

masters9661

I am behind you all of the way!! Once implemented and everyone has adjusted, it will be way easier to find relevant information. Thanks to you and the new moderators for your efforts

13. Personally I like the changes. The two new forums should have always been the focus, with a general forum that carried the extras like you talked about, and maybe builds that blurred the lines a little (mostly drive train) of the main focus. I get a ton of info from those kinds of builds too.

I noticed you didn't show Royalshifters car as an example of a period custom. Is this because of the underpinnings?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 I don't think there is a problem in that department. They all have pretty good creds.

The biggest problem may be getting the guys building cars or the historians to post in the prescribed forums. I belong to Ford Barn and the Garage forum but have only been to Ford Barn once in the past six months and honestly couldn't say the last time I was logged in on the Garage forum. We are creatures of habit and some of us don't venture far off the main trail to try a new trail.

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i love the sound of all the new changes. it makes perfect sense and that way if a post isnt 100 traditional hot rod, it can still be viewed and questions can be answered. sounds great ryan! looking forward to it all

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Absolutely not. If they are hot rods built traditionally to their period, they are welcomed.

Example:

[​IMG]

HOT ROD.

17. Thanks Ryan, I'm in!

18. Looking forward to the changes. My only suggestion is list the Hot Rod and Custom forums above the General Discussion catch all.

19. Beta means pre release or better. HRP
    <table><tbody><tr style="font-size:14px"><td style="font-size:14px;word-break:break-word" class=" ezas-text-snippit">

</td> </tr><tr style="font-size:14px"> <td style="font-size:14px;word-break:break-word" class=" ezas-text-paragraph">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Right? "get off my lawn!" lol

21. Anyone who survives three quarters a century, can speak however he pleases, I'd say.

22. n847

n847

Im mostly here for the hot rods but I do like to check in on the customs cause those guys show some pretty heavy fab inspiration and honestly they are starting to grow on me big time...so it looks like I'm just gonna have to change my search/browse methods to make sure I dont miss out on stuff and thats my only concern. I guess my app settings can keep me in the loop!

I guess I'm also gonna have to re-assess my build and re-focus as well in an attempt to filter out the OT stuff. I personally dont think its that big of a deal...no one said you cant use OT parts...just don't showcase em in your posts here!

On a side note you guys keep talking about how stuff works on other sites...I wouldn't know since I joined here I find it very difficult to go anywhere else! It's been kind of a one stop shop for me. So I guess since it really doesn't matter what I think any way lets bring it on!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good things on the horizon. General Gow is fluffer but he'll do a good job.

24. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I'm flippin' lovin' this! I really think this is being handled very well, it makes absolute sense to this One-Shot and exhaust fume diluted brain! I dont think there will be a problem in the General area, off topic is still of topic. I discovered a thread yesterday that made me see things in a different light, so I took it to heart and did some rearranging on my own build thread that will highlight the SPIRIT of my build. Thanks Ryan and your crew!!!

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Is this part of my "official" job description?

26. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

How about a sticky so we don't have to chase all around to keep up

27. I think I like the new direction this is taking. I like the idea of preserving the integrity and original intent of the HAMB. I also like to see that the customs have their own section. I'm more into hotrods than customs but I love to see some of the work the custom guys do. Really amazing.

Although, even with all the pictures Ryan posted I'm still not completely sure where, or even if, my current project fits in. It could be a gray area, which I'm imagining is something that Ryan is trying to avoid - '58 Chevy truck, 283 w/ 3 deuces. I-beam with mild lowering using dropped springs, chrome steelies, etc. Despite the harping of my brother-in-law, who definitely doesn't "get it", I've tried to build it pretty period correct with only a couple of small and pretty well hidden modern items. The rest of the truck is being built just like I remember them in the 60's. But, I'm not sure it fits in with my OWN idea of a traditional hot rod, let alone this forum's idea. But it's definitely not a custom, that's for sure. I guess I'll find out either way!

In any case, I'm sure not going to get my panties in a twist about it and I will continue to dig the HAMB.

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Is the "new posts" button still going to show the latest posts from everywhere? That's my typical MO for browsing the HAMB anyway. I use Google when I'm doing a targeted search for information.

29. so i have a question, just so i get a little better understanding of "general discussion".

will say glass bodied stuff (like say some of langy's builds) be allowed in the general discussion area?

i guess i am looking for a little more info in to what is allowed there. the hot rod and custom areas are pretty cut and dry and i get it. just looking for any insight you have to the "grey" area.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

General Discussion will continue to be focused on traditional stuff... In other words, if it's traditional but not a hot rod or a custom, it belongs in here.

Glass bodied stuff is not something we will feature a lot of here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.