Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a Big Guy Fit In A Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toad611, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 6'2, 280 here... I've had a T-Bucket, 28 Sport Coupe, and 29 Roadster... no problems here. Just all about seating/pedal position. Also stay away from severe chops/channels.

2. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I'm 6'4 250lbs and have no problems fitting in my coupe with a 5" chop. Sure its not as comfortable as my daily driver but its a hot rod, they are not built for comfort!

Attached Files:

daylatedollarshort likes this.
  3. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

iam 6-1 got bad knees.i cannt bent knees enough on unchopped-forget about chopped car..

4. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I am thinking about using an Essex or another bigger car and keep the proportions the same as an A. At 6'6, and sore knees, I just need more space.
    The trick is in watching all of the dimensions and planning on fabricating more to keep it looking right.

5. Im 6'5" and was 265 when I had my chopped 29A (Chopped 3") and fitted OK with some bucket seats pushed way back.
    Bit tall for my 28A roadster but I just lowered the seat and reverted back to a standard height screen.

You can fit but a 32 is better!

6. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

WOW! and here I was questioning if there was any point in building my '28 on account of my size(6'4" 225)

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

I am 6'210#.
    My 30; coupe is chopped 4 inches. Seat is a caravan seat on the stock riser but slide back. About half of the package tray I trimmed out.

Head room is very limited. I have a solid 34" inseam and with where the seat is I had to lean just a tad forward to hit 2nd gear on the stock 3 speed. I guess I am saying I had lots of leg room.

But getting in and out is more of the issue.

On my stockers it is easy to sit on the seat and pivot into the car, that shit aint happening with the seat way back.

Best bet is to find a guy in your area with one and politely ask to sit in it.

8. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I too, have always wanted a Model A Coupe, went as far as buying a good title,
    and lots of parts, but the size thing was always on my mind...SO, when I came
    across a 32 Plymouth 3Window, for less money then any "A" Coupe body I had
    looked at, I pounced...it is larger inside, has a good look outside, sits on a 32
    Ford frame just super....My Problem Solved !!! Look around, there are LOTS of
    over cars then Fords, and believe it or not, they are nice looking too !!!!

9. papajohn

papajohn

I am 6'6" and 300 lb-ish. I was building a 31 model a coupe that had a 6 inch chop and 4 iinch channel when i got it. There was no possible way too get into that, even when i was 250. I un-channelled it and with very thin bottom seats (barstools), and no package tray, I could get into it. A little tricky, but not bad once I was situated.

I would stick to a 30-31, as i think the cowl on a 28-29 is more narrow.

I am currently working on a 38 dodge pickup that is channelled 5 inches, but not chopped. Could probably chop 2 inches maybe three, but dont think i will bother.

Rotten Leonard on the HAMB makes some nice thin seats. That is what I am using in the Dodge.

10. oj

oj

It can be done, kinda subtle but you use a sedan door and that'll gain an inch or more and add an inch and a half section to the body to raise the window sills, then you can do a nice chop and a '32 ford firewall.
    Boddy Hilton did one that way recently, i think they did a build thread. try a search under 'hilton' and it'll pop up.