Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilt ford 260 v8 smokes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldschool1, Aug 14, 2013.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

I would be inclined to look at the modulator hose since he had a smoking problem with the old motor.

When you rebuilt the motor, were the exhaust manifolds full of carbon and oily looking?

And don't always go by the color that someone says is coming out of the pipes..... a lot of people cannot distinguish between grey, white and blue smoke. And running rich... isn't always black !!! I had a Mustang once that had a bad injector that was flooding the engine real bad, you could smell the raw fuel and the smoke was white, just like coolant !!!

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Let me explain my booster. It is a vacu-ease and has its own secondary master cylinder as part of the booster. Only a typical seal protects the booster from sucking in brake fluid from the secondary master cylinder. This is the same type system as a Bendix Hydrovac, Midland Ross, and some other add on boosters. (There still is a primary typical master cylinder that supplies pressurized fluid to the booster, and it preceeds the booster) In his case it probably will never happen as the booster and master cylinder are very separate (vacuum to brake fluid).

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did you have help? Some one dumping a Qt of oil in the head pipe will smoke for a long time. Does it use oil?

5. well, the latest is i have not done a thing since I started this thread. Life has been busy. hope to get to it again soon.

the exhaust mani's were carboned up looking inside.
    yes it does consume oil. perhaps a half quart every 400 miles
    no trans fluid has been lost

I had the thought recently to re torque the intake and head bolts. perhaps, as i saw in someones previous post of a possible seepage from the valley.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Did the machinist have his shop monkey put the rings on then forget to stagger the end gaps or check them for proper spec after installation???