Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another look at the Nash Metropolitan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 5, 2013.

1. How many Mets fit on a 12-car hauler, do you reckon?

2. More than twelve!!! LOL!

3. Still dying to know the secret of "Magnetic Turbine"

4. 63comet

63comet

Anyone else worked on one of these critters? At Neil's we'd work on them occasionally since it is a BMC engine. If you're used to Brit cars it feels really odd since its a combination of British and American construction.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I saw a little Metropolitan years ago in Hot Rod magazine.

It was widened 4" or so and possibly lengthened a wee bit.

The wheelwells were radiused round front and rear and flared a little bit as well.

It was black and powered by a BBC engine.

It looked nasty, and like a lot of fun too.

6. That's exactly how they seemed to me as well. British drivetrain and running gear in an American unibody.

7. I have a 57 Met,as I posted earlier,that was started as a Pro Street....Lost interest in that direction since and it has sat for several years.
    I am now pondering if it would be fun as an economy car build instead of the previous ideas.....
    I have two ideas to ponder.
    1.Electric car-BTW I have no experience that direction]
    2. Cycle Car
    I have a large displacement [2000CC]cycle V Twin so that is looking more realistic at this point.
    I just hate the little car setting in the cobwebs when it could be driven......
    iT IS VERY LIGHT SO THE CYCLE POWER SEEMS MOST SENSIBLE....120 horsepower 6 gears/belt or chain drive as options

8. Personally, I love the motorcycle engine idea.

9. Been thinking[dangerous].....
    Engine in front in same orientation as on a bike, heavy cog belt from trans to a 90 degree box[1:1 ratio],then a standard driveshaft setup to the 9" rear end in the car now.....
    engine is water and air cooled from manufacturer as is......

No ideas for reverse yet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  10. WOW! That thing is BAD ASS!! :cool:
    Always wanted one of those.

11. Hey Metro59....,that thing is sweet......

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. It says, "Powered by Magnetic Turbine".

13. There was a guy that used to drive one around our town in the 70's. I remember thinking that he looked like a total weenie in that thing and that I would never be caught dead in one. Now, they're a little bit cool just because of the unique ugliness. The cool factor jumps way up with a V8 installed.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This one's really huge, it's bigger than my Cadillac
    [​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Holy forced perspective Batman!

16. jreeder41

jreeder41

Two holes in the floor?

17. Jreeder41,Most of these have the holes you mention lots of em....they are a little prone to rust ......

18. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I bought one from a fellow HAMBer a few months back. That I have been hacking away on. I'm building it for my wife. The cool thing is that she actually has some really cool ideas for the car. (Metal flake paint job, tuck n roll interior, etc) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370481703.151488.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

exterminator likes this.
  19. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

Here is my fiance's 59. We were enjoying it and fixing it back up in its stock form. But quickly got tired of only being able to go 55, not being able to stop quickly, and having to get out, pop the hood and jiggle the shift linkage to get it out of 2nd. So we have been putting money aside to go another route. custom frame, mustang II, 4 link, small block, automatic and so on. now i just need to find someone to build it. i have talked with art morrison, but i would like to find someone a bit closer.

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  20. jreeder41

jreeder41

I would love to help you build this, but I think I might be a little farther away lol

21. jreeder41

jreeder41

Haha....I think 60% of our business it putting in new floors lol

22. Thanks. That made my laugh for the day.

23. jreeder41

jreeder41

The MOCNA club National Metro Club is having a national meet in Lincoln,Nebraska next week from the 22-24. We are flying out,if anybody is nearby stop in. They usually 30-50 cars.

24. jreeder41

jreeder41

I'll try again on the date 20-22.

25. Metro59

Metro59
    from Joplin, MO

I called Brad Swiggart yesterday, MOCNA president, show organizer, and he has 100 cars pre-registered. He is so glad you guys are showing up. He said he wants everyone to come away saying "this was a good show" and has "something for everyone". He has events from Weds evening to Sunday, so there need not be a dull moment. Show and Shinne at Culver's Friday, Meet on Sat., banquet Sat nite, car show in Lincoln Sunday - lots of places to see in Lincoln. His enthusiasm is great. Vendors will be inside, perhaps some swap tables.
    I am looking forward to it, to meet others Metters and to show this car, which is newly finished. It falls under the "modified" category. Not a show winner yet, but hopefully interesting in its custom paint, interior and modifications.
    I am partial to a strong running 4 cyl, 5-spd, disc brakes and a good suspension and staying light as possible in this little car.
    If I did it again, I would go Mustang II front end, GM VorTec 4 and transmission from Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice) Redline edition, and bucket seats. But mine was on a shoestring budget. I bought a '80 Corolla for $500 and transplanted all the go, stop, and turn stuff. And it DOES go, stop and turn. 2240# all fueled up. Bucket of fun.
    [​IMG]

cfmvw and exterminator like this.
  26. jreeder41

jreeder41

Awesome Metro59! Make sure you stop and say hello. We will have a couple tables set up with parts for sale and we are doing a seminar one evening. I think Friday night. I hope to be able to go along on some of the day trips. It will just depend on how busy we are and if I can catch a ride with someone!! I'm Jon Reeder and my dad will be with also, Paul Reeder

27. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

here is where im at on mine. all stripped down, waiting to go to the shop and get its new chassis. i spent today messing with it trying to find what ride height i want.

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  28. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Like a Smart car only with class and style. Pretty cool considering that we live in a time period where expensive luxury cars don't even have class or style.

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

just picked up this one for my oldest daughter. 5 1/2 years to finish it :)

it's met #4 in my extended family--2 original, 1 ground pounder v-5 hot rod exact build here TBD.

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  30. Excellent. She looks very proud!