Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A versus T chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERCURYGUY, Sep 1, 2013.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I am trying to put together a 1927 Ford Tub (open body) and I Have been looking for modified T chassis without sucess. I have been told that I can use a model a chassis but I notice from the drawings that there is about a 3-4 inch difference in the two. I want to build a full fender car that will look like like a restro rod Has anyone out there used a A chasss and if so how did you account for the difference in the wheel bases ? Any help or guidence appreciated. Thanks Tom

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Unless you are using Model T drivetrain, and I assume you are not;the wheelbase shouldn't limit you. Lengthening the running boards and splash aprons should be easy enough.

You're going to need more room for the enigne anyway, so run an open hood or lengthen a T hood. If you absolutley had to keep the original hood, it would not look bad to move the radiator back in relation to the front fenders.

3. A Model T is basically a ladder type frame and the Model A frame is of heaver construction,,I would think that a few modifications would allow you to use fenders. HRP

4. The biggest problem in using a T dimension frame is that they are quite narrow and create clearance problems. They are also very flimsy. You could use an A frame and move the rear crossmember forward if you want to keep the T 100 inch wheelbase. They give you more room for the engine and tranny. If you want to run a T frame, use a TT truck frame as they are really heavy duty and wouldn't have to be boxed. You would have to replace the truck rear crossmember as it is too wide for a passenger rear spring.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

The exact car you plan to build was built by a HAMB member in the UK, do a search and it will turn up. Bob

6. HRM

HRM

Here is a 27 I built on an A frame.... it worked great! Basically just bolted right on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

7. HRM

HRM

Wanting to run fenders does change it up a bit though.....huh?:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

9. Not really a problem as long as you don't hold to the bolt together hot rod theory. Model A frames were a common upgrade for Ts clear back into the '30s. As has been mentioned T frames are kind of wiggly.

To run fenders there will have to be some mods made, but that is just Hot Rodding 101. look at it and figure out how to do it, a little nip here a tuck there and before you know it you have figured it out. Shaaazaaaaam.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right as usual, Benno. As for the '27 T touring body on 'A' fenders/side aprons, it looks like it came that way!
    Definitely what my '27 tub will get (if I ever get old enough to run fenders!)

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, you just have to work it out on your own. Do you have any drawings or pictures to go by or are you imagining what it will look like? Sounds like you just need to sit down and work out a plan of action.

Hot rodding isn't rocket science. Kids with gas welders and hand tools were doing it in the 50's.