Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Plymouth business coupe $$?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappychapperton, Sep 1, 2013.

1. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Hi,
    A guy at work has this car for sale, rolling chassis, been sitting since the 60's. I think it looks sweet but need to go take a closer look. He wants 2G, think that is about right? Thx.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

$800-$1200 USD , depending on the rust situation.

3. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Check the rockers and front floor for rust. No aftermarket replacement parts so you have to fab. Agree $1000-$1500 rang.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What do you mean, rolling chassis? That is not a chassis, that is a car. Do you mean the engine is gone? Or broken? Or hasn't run since Cher was a virgin? What?

If the engine was ripped out then $2000 sounds high but then, everything seems high to me.

I know I sold a running 49 Chrysler Windsor last winter for $500 with a $250 sun visor on it and no, I don't have any more old cars for sale.

5. negative on the 2 g's ...it looks like it has a shit ton of rust and the pictures usually make a car look better, sooooooo that being said,....I would probably be in the 500 or less range.
    I bought, 1 month ago in austin a very clean and original 1951 Plymouth cranbrook, with 63k original miles, I ended up giving a 62 comet project car and 1k cash and I drove it home 2.5 hours away no worries. He wanted 3.2k to start with which is crazy cheap for a 61 yr old car that you can drive home.

basic moral of this story is these cars are priced right in todays market as they are not as popular. Get em while you can and dont get burned, shop wisely and you will find your gem.

6. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

7. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Thanks man! Appreciate the advice and info.

8. Although for some reason I think the things are so ugly they are cool,,I must be in the minority,,500 to 800 cash tops. HRP

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They usually sit high in the front if the engine is gone but whatever.

With no engine, an old car is basically a parts car or scrap. Scrap price is $200 to $300 around here. For a parts car, maybe up to $500.

Plymouths are not all that popular but I have a soft spot in my head for the little coupes. I know they were just cheap transportation but I like them.

So, I would probably be fool enough to go $700 or $800 if I had to but I don't think I would go over $1000.

I don't know how scarce and expensive old cars are in Alberta, that's just my opinion.

PS I have a couple of spare flathead six engines that would fit right in , another reason I would pay more. If you have to buy an engine it could cost anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on condition.

Now if you plan an engine swap that is another matter, but you should keep in mind, that they are not an easy car to swap engines in, because the engine compartment is narrow and short and the steering is in a bad spot. A V8 won't go without a lot of work but a slant six is even harder because it is so much longer than the engine compartment.

10. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

$500,tho I think these lil cars are ugly.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ya they are ugly but cute like a bulldog puppy.

12. Model T1

Model T1

My first car was a 1949 Dodge Coronet coupe which had a longer turrent top and a back seat. So I am fond of those type cars. This Plymouth CAR looks decent and I don't see the rust of which others speak. Altho I'm sure it's got some. I wouldn't worry about an engine or tranny. It needs a Hemi!
    So I'd pay $800- $1000 for this little gem and maybe $250 for the rolling chassis you mentioned.:confused:

13. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I had a butt ton of early Mopars in the 70's and 80's. I could never afford an old Ford and people almost gave these things away. Whoever said rust is right. Mopar put horsehair insulation under their floor mats and carpets. It held mositure which inevitably got into it. I don't recall many that didn't have the front floors rusted out. There's also a critical body mount under the front doors that gets rusted. Rocker panels will be goners, but there's replacements for those, I think. Other than that they weren't any worse than anything else to rust.

I still have my dual intake off my 50 fastback I bought in 1970. A "friend" I left my aluminum head and Fenton headers with sold them as soon as left town to get some work for a couple of months. I've always wanted another 50, particularly a business coupe like this or another fastback.

14. George

George

As has been said many times, a rear sump 318 from a pick up or van drops in nicely. A bit of trimming on the inner fenders and a driver's side ex man from one of the boxy Darts that wraps around the steering column like it was made for it, if the engine is moved to the right an inch or so.

15. fordpatina

fordpatina

the back window ant trim worth $700 alone

16. jdrew

jdrew

You can get aftermarket pans and rockers for these cars

17. alsancle

alsancle

I like the post war Mopar 3 windows. Agreed with all the previous posters that 2k is too much. I will say if by some unbelievable luck it is solid as a rock and interior looks much better than the exterior shot then 1500 or more is not out of the question. You can buy the best one in the world for 12k-13k. It would take 40k to make this one that good.

18. HRP as usual is right on for what is pictured. They are not a popular car at all.

BTW HRP,
    I like them real well myself.

19. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Seeing as I have a few months left to finish my F1 I am not going to get too far into this car. Hate to offer the guy at work $800 and start some bad feelings on a car I am not 100% on anyways. Thanks for all the input fellas. And ya, I think you nailed it saying it looks like a bulldog puppy, lol, that's ace.

20. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

The 2dr business coupes and convertables were the rare ones of these cars. If its a special deluxe they made around 100,000 of em. If its the p19 deluxe, they made around 17,000 of them!! You will see 4drs all day long for the same price. It looks pretty clean in the pic and damage free. If you wanted something like this to swap the inline 6 with a V8 I'd say its a great start. Especially if the motor is already out. Save you a day of pulling and storing. If the rust is minor, and at least the seat upholdstry is ok and you can roll it into your garage, it seems fair.
    If you can work him down on price, great!
    If I saw this for 2k and could be enjoyed with adding a motor and trans and wiring... I would buy it.
    I see some guys would only pay a few hundred for it, but if you had it would you unload it that cheap? If its as clean as one picture shows, it looks like a great canvas to start on.
    Good luck man!

21. If I had $2,000.00 and it was near me, it would be in my driveway.

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Since it is in CANADA it came with the Chrysler based engine. A 265 cu in flathead out of a 52 - 54 Chrysler Windsor, Canadian DeSoto, Dodge 1 1/2 truck up to 1962, Massey combine or industrial engine, will make a hot rod out of that little coupe and it bolts right in.

24. farmer12

farmer12

Looks like a fair amount of work still needs to be done......I'd say 1K maximum. Cool little car though!

25. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

I would buy the car and start on it.now . I think its a good deal . But i like old mopar.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Looks pretty solid to me, and as rust free as a Canadian car of that vintage gets. Prices are higher up here and anyone I know stashing anything resembling a coupe will want $2k or more. I could have bought a rough running 2 door sedan for $700, but I haven't seen any coupes that clean lately. I say work on the price, but buy it anyway.