Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega Steering Boxes: choices, choices .......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Sep 1, 2013.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

I am positive that there are people out there - far smarter than I am regarding this subject! I am building a model A' hot rod (still a banger though) and I would like to use the Vega steering box that so many people rave about on the HAMB. However, in just doing a bit of research between Rod & Custom, Street Rodder, and a fair amount of major advertisers - there is a lot of space between the high and low end of the market. Just some examples:TCI = $440, Mullins = $380, Chassis Engineering = $380, Borgson = $335, Flaming River = $320, Summit = $230, Speedway = $200, MBM = $175,
    POL
    = $140, Rod Parts = $115...... and probably there are others!
    "BESIDES PRICE" , does anyone honestly know what the differences are between them, or are the majority of them made by the same company and everyone just sets their own price structure? Thanking everyone in advance!

2. Good question...

3. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I'm not saying that you get what you pay for, but I will say that you don't get what you don't pay for. I bought a $200+ Gear Head box, mount and pitman at the Nats a couple years ago and got my truck on the road this past spring. The gear has been adjusted about 4 times now and won't hold, and I've procured a rebuilt Saginaw unit to replace it. Hopefully the cheap box was at least ok for mockup.

4. rustang

rustang

I've got the 200 dollar box from Speedway in my '38 pickup....I put about 1500 miles on the truck in the last 2 mos and have adjusted it twice......seems to be holding good now.

If it fails I think I will go with a Flaming River.... I would guess that most all aftermarket boxes will be coming out of the same factory somewhere (possibly two factories)....
    Tom

5. captmullette

captmullette

lets hear some more......

6. I bought the one in my pickup from Southern Rods and built the truck in 2007,,I have close to 16 thousand miles and have never adjusted the box. HRP

7. lawman

lawman

We have one of the Speedway vega boxes in my grandson 38 chevy truck. Have about 200 miles ion it and no trouble yet. Does anyone know who make the different boxes and what is the difference in them other then price?
    I believe that was the question at the start of this post !!!! LOL

8. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I am on my second Flaming River box. First one would not adjust at all. The output shafte would move up and down with rotation. Got a replacement, and have had to adjust it a couple of times. When I had less than 100 miles on the second one, the 3 bolts that held the adjusting plate on, all backed out. I guess I should have checked it out better before installing it. They are now loctited, and have not backed out since.

9. I have no knowledge of who makes all the various Vega type steering boxes,,I would guess that Mullins manufactures their own,some of the others are probably domestically rebuilt and others are assembled off shore. HRP

10. rustang

rustang

My speedway box had the screws back out too....this was during the first 400 miles......

Apparently, something people need to check at install......
    Tom

11. uncle buck

uncle buck

Did Flaming River take care of you on it? They chared me $150.00 plus frt to correct one of their early Mustang boxes that they manufactured incorrectly and the car never left the garage before it was replaced. :mad:

12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Speedway box here. Loctite a must, but no adjustment issues.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anybody say they never had a problem? What would be the best without the cost?

14. Kool49

Kool49

Good thread here , im going to be looking for a box here real soon for my build . Not sure now which one to get . May seek out an original GM vega box ???? Its a long shot but im sure there out there .

15. HotRod33

HotRod33

I am running a factory sagnaw 525 box on my 33 pickup uses the same mounting setup as a vega box. paid 40 dollars for it at a swap meet it is slightly larger and heavier duty than the vega box. 6000 miles on the truck no problems with the steering at all.

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a speedway box. My adjusting plate screws backed out as well. I re tightened and havent had a problem since. Ive had to adjust it a couple times but i figured it was just wearing in the new parts, but i did mess with it a bit and i wanted it to have no slop. Maybe 3000 miles.

17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I've had the best 'luck' with getting original boxes rebuilt by Richard Graves in Long Beach, CA. I have not bought one recently so don't even know if he is still doing them but that's where I would look 1st.

18. uncle buck

uncle buck

When I buy a new car I don't have to mess with the parts like this. Why is it that we figure it is normal to have to continually mess with the new parts like this when we build a car?:confused:

19. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Never had a prolem.......Flaming River..

20. Used a junkyard Vega box on my Model A roadster, drove it 23000 miles; never touched it.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

An original brand new Vega box had inherant wear/adjustablity flaws , a re-bop Vega box made as OEM still has the flaws and add in a few "short cuts/quality control" problems and you get and even worse than OEM brand new box...Those that are in the $300 plus range have had some of the issues re designed for better wear/adjustability...

22. classic gary

classic gary

i bought one off ebay, for my A. haven't used it yet but during mock-up, i noticed a "gear tooth feel" to it, shouldn't be 'cause they are recirculating ball, anyway, i took the top off (3 bolts) and there is a hand full of a yellowish grease in there. That made me wonder how anything got lubricated unless the heat from the engine melted the grease and then everything lubed up. of course by then it could be too late......
    i poured in some 90W gear lube and now it feels MUCH BETTER !
    Just a thought............

23. WHICH ONE?
    I've had the same question for several years now. Used a $200 vega style box in our 32 roadster build. No markings of any kind on the outside. Who know where it came from?? Four years later and about 10k miles it seems to have play in the wheel and we have adjusted it several times. Cover screws backed out the the large end nut became loose. Guessing ya must check these from time to time. I'm thinking about swapping it for another one - but which one? And would I use one again - and which one?
    But the larger questions are:
    1. Would a more expensive box give better results - less play and road wander, etc.? If so which one?
    2. Are the cheapies (like mine?) off shore made?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  24. 3quarter32

3quarter32

[Did Flaming River take care of you on it? They chared me $150.00 plus frt to correct one of their early Mustang boxes that they manufactured incorrectly and the car never left the garage before it was replaced.]

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

My last build, I stumbled on to a GM one. I saw a Vega in a salvage yard, but it had PS. A couple of cars over was a Monza Town Coupe I checked and it had a manual box. Had a aluminum Buick V8 too. I've got 17,000 mi so far, plus the original miles, so not bad for $35. I bought a Flaming River for my current project and I hope it's OK.

Blue

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So if you buy a cheep one can you take it apart and have the parts heat treated for better life?

27. uncle buck

uncle buck

I paid freight both ways + $150.00 on it. The only thing I can say positive is the one I sent back was made in Argentina? (if I remember correctly)and the one I got as its replacement was made in USA. The replacement was built correctly and feels much better. On the first one the input shaft was about an 1" -1 1/2" to long for a direct replacement. It would have worked fine in a street rod application, but not a Mustang direct replacement as it was suppose to be. I don't feel I should have had to pay them to replace a box they made incorrectly. They even admitted the reason the new one was made in USA is because of the problems they were having with the manufacturing of the imported boxes.

28. Speed~On

Speed~On

Well, I see I am not the only person that has experienced problems with the Vega steering box. All this time I thought I was all alone in this boat. I am on my second box; the first one loosened within the first 500 miles. My steering would not remain tight. Speedway Motors was great as they sent me a replacement.

I can't say exactly who makes my particular Vega box as I don't recall it having any markings. As stated above, I'm sure 1 or maybe 2 offshore companies make them and many catalogs/speedshops sell them.

I would not recommend a Vega box. Hopefully you can find one (a differant make) that is free of all the issues listed in this thread!

29. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

lots of adjustments 2yrs many times speedway box

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell