Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Interesting rare '32 body style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Aug 30, 2013.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I think the B-Pillar is side curtains...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

I don't know what it is, but my post is about the fact that some people say it can't be anything except a touring/phaeton, because it either has an open car windshield ass'y, or the fact that it may not have roll-up windows..

Here is a very odd custom built body made for a 30 Chrysler when it was new. It showed up on an Antique site, and I was the only one who showed much interest it learning more about it, so the owner sent many pics. The owner is in Chile or Peru, SA

The owner has old pics and even the dealer/importer papers when it arrived new, in South America in 1930. But there is no mention of the custom body builder.

The car has a very modified 30 Chrysler open car cowl, and had a removeable hardtop type body, with side windows that intalled like a touring/phaeton.

He sent me many pics showing internal construction, and I am convinced it was made in a more upscale city in South America, rather than from a USA body builder.

The interior wood framing showing the details, as well as very "blacksmith" type iron brackets in the body, make think it was not USA built.

Note that it also has custom made hood sides that are not typical Chrysler. As well as the lower body "curving Sweep-line" like some Duesenbergs had
    here are just a few pics, then and now;

Attached Files:

3. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Here is some info on the English built 32's that was built until 34 at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Here is a German 32 nBuil by Deutsch of Koln.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The last ones was built in Dagenham in 1935. for the police.
    Lars

6. uncle buck

uncle buck

I thought we only have 1 expert here and he has spoken. I am with you and most of the others on the thought of it looks most likely to be a phaeton.

7. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

8. Mr42 I think you're getting confused, Larsdk is saying that the last English cars were built in Dagenham in 1935.

9. Thats almost right.
    Im saying that the last model 18/B was built in Dagenham in 1935, for the police.
    The last roadster was built in Denmark in 34. I cant remember the rest. Ive got the data at home, but im on a oilrig, in the Northsea, right now.
    Lars

10. Weasel

Weasel

When it comes to coach built 1932 Fords and non U.S. production, the knowledge base becomes a little taxed. Every time the question of production numbers comes up this argument starts all over. There were a number of US bodies buyilt outside the U.S. and very rarely does anyone think to check on this when making absolute statements. For example, there were not 400 Sedan Deliverys built - there were 406 of which three model Bs were built in Canada and three model Bs built in Mexico. There were not 926 B 400s built (884 Model 18 and 42 model B) - the actual figure is 1396!

There are so many variants that have been produced by various coach builders world wide that it is almost impossible to know them all. Europe had a strong tradition in Germany, the U.K. and Spain just for starters. Many of these variants - even standard production models for the countries concerned may have varied significantly from the U.S. product. Coach built bodies on the 1932 Ford were produced among others in Germany by Deutsch, Drauz, Hebmüller, Papler and in Belgium by Van Den Plas. In Britain Dagenham Motors, W. Harold Perry, W.J. Reynolds, Salmons-Tickford and Wendover all produced coach built variants. In Australia they made bodies such as the Type 302 and 304 utes which were entirely indigenous and their open car bodies - roadster and tourer/phaeton were also wood framed and differed significantly from their U.S. counterparts. That having been said, the giveaway to me on the photo of the wrecked deuce is the separate two piece windshield stanchion and I am inclined to think that this is indeed a European - and possibly Danish built Standard phaeton or Tourer Type B-35 of which the last one produced in Denmark was in October 1933....

11. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Now I know where the wheel color for your trk. came from!:D Where'd ya find the phateon pic?

12. No Bob,,he copied me!:D HRP

13. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

My misstake confused i am ;-)
    Thanks Lars

I was thinking out of the box and googled on Danish steam trains
    Found this, its a Danish LJ19 train and checkout the White and red colored bands on the "chimney"
    And the indikator's on the fenders say's Danish or UK to me.

But i Think the steam train nails it Picture taken in Denmark = Danish built phateon?! ;-)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.lollandsbanen-privat.dk/Museumsbanen-side 2.htm

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  14. And the picture was taken in 1953 i Odense.
    The train was moving slow, at the time, going to the harbour.
    The owners name was Madsen, called "Sead" Madsen.
    You can learn a lot, just asking the right people on the internet.
    Lars

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Wow. Was that the end of the car or was it put back on the road. A '32 Pheaton must have been quite collectable by then.

16. Probably not,think about it, the car was 21 years old at the time and it was just a old car.

At that time the cost of repairing it would be more than someone would be willing to spend,,they could find a replacement very ease at that time.

If a train going slow was to hit a 21 year old Ford today no one would try and repair it. HRP

17. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yes but you don't know the price of cars in Denmark. They have a massive luxury tax on them even today which makes people drive cars for much longer. In the sixties, Denmarks roads were still full of Ts and As.