Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I salvage this AOD trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Aug 31, 2013.

1. I have been looking for a non computerized Ford AOD trans and this Fire Special is the only one I found locally. Someone transplanted this mustang 5.0 setup in a Ford Ranger. Then the truck caught fire in the motor and burned the whole truck up.

I am wondering if I can rebuild it and use it? It is still covered in dirt and grease except where it bolts up to the motor. I'm thinking that it didn't get too hot to melt all the plastic parts on the inside. Heck, the rotor didn't melt under the distributor cap. I need it now just for mock up and it's free.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I'd offer $10 bucks and use the case for mock up and continue to look for one that hasn't had its clutches fried.

3. Free,get it if you need it for mock up,I would suggest you take it to a transmission shop you have faith in for a honest evaluation before spending any long green on rebuilding it. HRP

4. Yeah, I'm going to pick it up for free and use it for mock up right now. It is a sad story. The guy just installed this late 80's mustang motor, trans, and rear end in his very clean late 90's Ranger and it burned up before he got to drive it. A lot of time and money went up in flames on the transplant, including the truck.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There should be a bunch of the non electronic AOD's out there , Ford put them in everything in the early 80's. I had one out of an 84 Town Car that I used in my Jeep pickup.

I would pass on that one except as the guys said, for mockup.

Don

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you can verify the year of the AOD it may be worth saving as a builder 1988-93 AOD's are non-computer have the later lubrication upgrades and improved valve body if it is 1987 or earlier use it for mockup,look for the code on the drivers side.

7. Swifster

Swifster

Fire goes upward. It looks like most of the fire was up high. Pulling anything out of the boneyard will probably need to be rebuilt. If it came from a Mustang, someone's beat on it.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I just rebuilt an AOD that went through a shop fire. Go through it, put all new plastic, rubber, and fiber parts (bearings, seals, o-rings, bands and clutches) in it and you will be fine. The cases are heavy enough that unless you see physical damage (melting, etc) it should be fine.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would bet its just fine for a core. Snag it, re-build it, run it.

10. The numbers on the drivers side:

RF-E9DP-7006-AA

How do I know what year it is?

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have used motors that burned that much so I would give the trans a try.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

If nothing else, it could be useful for parts. A friend used an AOD out of a free Grand Marquis. It had the tail housing broken. He needed exactly what you have there.

13. Mark T

Mark T

E9 in the code should make a 1989

14. 327Eric

327Eric

looking at the way the fire burned, I would just check the converter. If it doesn't look damaged, replace the front seal and go. They get hot in normal operation. I'm brave though. And broke.

15. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

That is a 5-rib case and very desirable as they are stronger than the 3-rib. Look at the ribs on the top of the case where the tranny meets the bellhousing. Strip it down and have a transmission guy look it over...I'd pay to get my hands on it just on the outside chance that it's good.