Register now to get rid of these ads!

Casualties/appropriate builds etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by holt1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holt1

holt1

Yes, I am new here but not new to the idea's of this forum and what it's about. My life is somewhat centered around this lifestyle. I am a musician here in Austin and am sure Ryan and I have crossed paths as I play 50's 60's style rock and roll, blues, and r&b. I hate a lot of things about society today. I shave with a straight razor as I hate the cost of new ones. We grow our own veggies, cook from scratch and I make my own bread.

The Hotrodding. I love old school rods. I hate seeing "crated" stuff as I always think, "why didn't you go the extra mile?" I feel maybe some of my posting here has maybe not lined up with the intention of the forum. I run to the extremes. I would rather cut coils than airbag. But I wonder if air shocks in the back are ok as I want to do a cheap lift for the 58 poncho until I can get some lifted coil springs. Lol. My old Hudson definitely didn't belong here. Clipped, 500ci 70's caddy motor, power steering, s-10 rear end. Very cool car but doesn't work for this forum.

The 55 four door Buick will fit the guidelines for sure. Cut front and rear coils to lower, 322 nailhead, three on the tree, wide whites with the stock Buick moons with beauty rings, and I am doing the tuck and roll interior myself.

I play old shit. My music sounds old, my gear is from 55-64 or vintage styled stuff. I paint and put my guitars together with old stuff or stuff that works in that direction. Nitrocellulose paint. Hell, I even have a source for gallons of it so I can spray the old Nitrocellulose stuff used in the 50's and 60's on cars. Is two step base coat clear coat acceptable on a "period correct" build?

Austin promotes an old way of life if you live here and hang out in the scene I do and probably Ryan does too. I get it, I understand it, I live it for the most part. I would rather live that way than the alternative. Funny, I will use the Buick as a daily driver but my travel car will be a 92 750IL V-12 BMW as my back and leg are severely damaged from a motorcycle accident. Extremes for sure!

Ryan will try to be clear on what he feels is appropriate I know, but at the end of the day it's his forum. There are other forum's that are very cool to hang out in but this one seems to run along an Austin way of life that I happen to live.

Interesting how far this whole thing has come from when I found it years ago.

My 58 will have the slotted mags, 60's series Mickey Thompson bias ply front and rear, aluminum intake with cross ram runners adaptors to make it a cross ram intake with old 4 barrel carbs, buckets, 3 speed, and air shocks to lift the rear a bit at first. Does it work to post the build here?

Blurred lines. Let me know on that one.

The 55 Buick with cut coils, stock tranny, 322 Nailhead and re-upholstered myself and carpet I find at a carpet store as i'm broke. Does the carpet kill the deal?

Thoughts. Go ahead. Those that know me know I love this stuff!

:p;):D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

All we can do is the best we can.
    I'll be in bodybag #12 ??
    Oh well.

3. The HAMB is Ryan's gig and he gets to decide what flys and what gets the can. Your old rides sound pretty close to what is right in line here. If in doubt just try not to make any OT issues a focus. Now, he has said that some sidebars will be established to go along with the re-focus back toward the traditional aspect. What will be allowed is not up to us. Although, anyone that has spent time on the HAMB has a damn good notion of what is what. At this point all we can do is look forward to a streamlined HAMB. Sit back and enjoy the ride. How's that go? Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
    Not saying that the HAMB is petty but I think you get the idea.

4. holt1

holt1

Actually I see what he is getting back to is more of a lifestyle I would say. In that I can say I totally understand and actually applaud and agree with it.

5. Lifestyle?,:confused:,,Hamb is about hot rods and customs,,not what you listen to or what you wear! HRP

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

7. I joined this forum because of the knowledge available and because of a lifetime of knowledge that I have that may help someone else. (machinist, welder, fabricator, car nut, etc.)
    I do not have a "traditional" ride and probably never will. My participation in the hobby is not of any particular category, I don't do traditional, rat, street, muscle custom (mild or radical) ricer or any other name tag. I build it the way I want it. About the only rule I have is; No GM parts, but I'll break that rule if I think it is the only sensible solution. (got a corvette gas cap on my Dodge)
    I "get" that the HAMB is Ryans baby and I'm sure I will miss some of the off topic builds, threads, questions etc. that will undoubtedly disappear. To me, it doesn't matter if a build has a glass body or steel, if there is good info on steering or suspension set-up in that thread and the thread is deleted, who wins?
    Ryan, I sure hope you don't cut the head off the "Golden Goose" just because you found an egg in the nest that is only silver!
    I will wait and watch and eventually vote with my participation!

8. badshifter

badshifter

Ryan seems to have no problem with communicating his vision and putting it in print.
    Don't recall a single post from him promoting the "lifestyle".
    I build old cars. I like old cars.

9. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

If you're not sure, post it over in Dogfight instead.

10. Styleliner

Styleliner

Im fairly certain my crazy build thread wont make the cut according to the webmasters criteria for conventional or period rods and thats fine. But let me tell you I was informed and inspired here and my project is better for it. Thanks to all who helped out. My build thread has 40,000 views this summer alone. Im just a backyard part time hobbyist with not enough time or money to swing with the big boys. Hopefully one day my project will be worthy. These things take a long time. I was considering joining the HAMB alliance before this, but dont feel much of an alliance with one way thinking... Not that its wrong, just not for me... Its only the internet.

11. holt1

holt1

Jesus, nevermind, lol. Yes, it is more than about what you wear and listen to, yes it is all about building hotrods, yes, for some a hobby, for some it actually IS a lifestyle. I have friends here and in other states where their life is consumed with hotrods, car culture and music. They have simple lives. Hobby or lifestyle non is above the other or more righteous. It's simply a choice of living. In trying to post something positive it has been spun negative. Not sure why. I have no issues with the forum, it's premises, or anyone here. I have friends who are longtime active members. I have followed it for years. Was a member years ago but forgot what my user name was and started over. I feel this is one of the most positive, informative and most influential nastalgic hotrod forums In existence. You even see e-bay auctions that have "H.A.M.B approved" vehicles for sale. Now that's something for a forum! Kuddo's to all who build and participate. Maybe I miss-read or misunderstood something but it seems for those hardcore folks here it "IS somewhat a lifestyle. And a good one at that. ;)

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What vintage is your computer and when the hell did the HAMB get a "scene"?

13. F&J

F&J

I get the lifestyle thing, and I bet it is described in different terms, rather than just music, clothes, guitars, etc.

I appreciate some old things of quality, rather than some modern things. Small example is when I run my 1940s? old horizontal milling machine I got for less than scrap price. It sounds so silky smooth and steady. I don't have much tooling, but I try to use it as much as I can.

Not true with my older Taiwan drill press, it works ok, but sounds like shit.

14. holt1

holt1

Seems like a "scene" to me. I have no judgement of it. But it comes across that way here. Specific builds, your either in the club or your not. The build of your car determines it. :)

15. holt1

holt1

In Ryan's thread about "casualties" something about carpet was said so I asked about it.y questions about my cars are serious. I would like to post about them but won't if they don't fit the criteria.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LMFAO....okay. Just seems like a lot of panic and thought over nothing.

17. holt1

holt1

It was just an opinion, an observation. It's not like Moses showed up and transcribed something here that I read. I was saying that old cars fit in with MY lifestyle and posted a little bit about what that's about for me. Sorry your offended that I mentioned being a musician, some life choices and how that ties into old cars for me. Easy. ;)

18. holt1

holt1

Lol! Yeah, I can see that. Tone and inflection is lost through writing. I did wonder about my cars posting here though.

19. holt1

holt1

I appreciate this. Thanks. After reading the "casualties" thread it did seem that things here might be turning somewhat either back to or towards some of the stuff I see locally here. And for guys here in Austin I can tell you it IS a lifestyle. I'm good either way. I just want to be respectful with posting my builds and posted my thoughts. Not well recieved I see.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

After reading what Ryan wrote, it did seem like he was going to be excluding a lot of cars. Not people, just cars and styles. As a business person, I doubt he would shoot himself in the foot. He seems smarter than that. I have a feeling, whatever he does will be great for the masses. Everyone else, well, I'm sure they'll either go to a re-education center or go some where else.

But no matter what happens, don't end up like these guys.

21. holt1

holt1

Oh wow! Lol.

22. Not offended in the least,but maybe you should have listed all you lifestyle stuff in your introduction,,this ain't facebook.

Funny,I never mentioned anything about you being a musician.

But now that you brought that up,,many guys here a musicians,fact is I am also and have been playing in bands since the early 60's,,doesn't have a damn thing to do with the HAMB. HRP

23. What!? Hot rods and customs are life. Not a life style...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. guitard

guitard

The tough part is going to be keeping away from the melodrama. You know, if you're walking into a blues bar it's probably pretty obvious not to start singing Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. You can argue their roots in the blues; in that context that truth carries 10% weight... the important 90% being YOU walked into a BLUES BAR. Every situation has its "don't ask / don't tell" quotient and here is no different. Not everything that's obvious can be spelled out in numbers and lines for the clueless. It's a blues bar. I get it, and I applaud keeping the focus concentrated on the focus. OP, you sound like you get it. And I love the ride in your avatar. And I love Austin - landed here in '88. I'd leave out the crossram and '60s musclecar stuff here though... I love that stuff too, but this is a blues club. ~Scott from Wimberley

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

This thread should be the sacrificial lamb....

26. holt1

holt1

I did mention it in my introduction. And I guess I won't mention it again, or anything else about it. Since this ain't FB and doesn't have a damn thing to do do with the HAMB. What the hell? I'm not the one who proposed any changes to this place and just posted about a perception. Don't worry, not trying to "define" your little slice of the Internet here, I was just making sure I was "respectfully living in it. I certainly don't have to be here and was doing quite fine before I decided to be here. With some of the responses maybe I will reconsider membership. I was going to send in the 59.00 or whatever it is but I will rethink that over a couple of days. I finally scraped up se extra cash from selling a cougar but maybe that money is better spent elsewhere.

27. guitard

guitard

BTW, not implying anyone here is clueless... just all the nitpicky year cutoff drama and "well whatabouts" pulling in every oddball example with absolutely no context.

28. to much drama
    [/thread]

29. holt1

holt1

Lol! Yeah man, I've been sheared so it seems. ;)

30. holt1

holt1

I will probably not post the '58 build here. Even though dodge used cross-ram stuff before '65 and big peerless tires were installed on old fifties rods on the street before '65 also, and bucket seats. I had friends older than me that ran that stuff mid sixties and were building destroked motors then also. Destrokers were used moonshine running and in NASCAR pre-1965.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.