Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Best 32 Highboy ever? Please share yours here...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pooboy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with every word. Mark Morton is up to something, too.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just realized he said "best highboy" not "best fenderless highboy". Can I change my vote?
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    And I agree, this should titled "favorite highboy".

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  3. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

This one does it for me.

[​IMG]

4. I have to agree, it isn't bad!:cool:

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to go with McMullen's. Iconic!

Attached Files:

JimSibley likes this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

always liked this one, think lobeck patterned his first or at least took his cues from Kesslers'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. saucerhead

saucerhead

Paul55 - Kessler's and Lobeck's aren't even close to each other. You should know both cars before considering a statement like that. There are too many differences. Find yourself some good photos of both original cars, study them, then consider your statement again.

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

don't have to find good pics, as I've seen em both in person.(the originals and the newer tributes). Stance and look/character is almost the same, just different wheels. Lobecks' has always been a favorite as well! You'll also note that I used the terms "patterned" and "cues", never said they were the same!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gonna try to breath a little life into this thread. Heres a more recent one that I really dig. Theres another even more recent Simard built highboy that I like, but I wont mention that one, as it aint really HAMB friendly.;):D

[​IMG]

10. I would have to second this one, even though it screamed late '60s early '70s build style.

Even though I was only 5 years old, Kessler's roadster knocked my socks off, back at the '71 Memphis Nationals. I don't remember when Don bought it, but I got to see it a bunch, when I was a kid, as he was in Dad's car club. I liked it better with a stock hood on it.

Kessler's new roadster is way cool, but there are several things that are different than the original, most notably is the unbobbed front frame horns with the v'd spreader bar and the missing finned aluminum headlamp stands.

11. pooboy

pooboy
    from SoCal

Come on Falcongeorge share that with us. Screw it if its HAMB friendly or not. The picture you just shared with us is one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen.

12. pooboy

pooboy
    from SoCal

falcongeorge: Any idea what size those beautiful American mags are?

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, they arent Americans, they're Crestlines with American center caps.;) According to TRJ they are 15x4 and 15x6, but I find that suspect. I think they are probably 15x6 all around.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The other one I am thinking of is Jim Farleys, in last months TRJ, REALLY not HAMB friendly... Go to Google images and search Jim Farley '32 highboy, pretty sure it will come up. What REALLY makes Simards red car KILLER is all hidden in those photos, its what under the skin that really grabs me by the nuts...

15. Dick Scrichfield's was always my favorite deuce highboy roadster.

16. 2racer

2racer

17. Chuck R

Chuck R

I dont know that I could pick the best. You all have posted the best bunch of 32's ever built, thats for sure. It really depends on my frame of mind. I will say that there is one you missed that has been driven all over and makes me smile every time I see it. Dennis and Debbie Kyle's Roadster.

[​IMG]

18. My favriote is the Rat Roaster from Gearz tv show. Theres just something about late sixties styled 32 Ford Roadster. Sorry im still comfused on how to post a picture on a mobile device (IPad)

19. i think the scritchfield roadster is the benchmark against which all 'bellybutton' deuce roadsters are built. how can you argue with it. its perfect.

i think the Nitti Roadster is the finest example of an early build. again, perfect.

Doane Spencer's is probably the first 'forward thinking' roadster and set the stage for so much of what came after. pure bitchin'. its just perfect.

McMullen's was probably the best example a street/strip roadster at that early date. i believe his set the tone for the 'pro street' movement that followed so many years later. perfect.

so many more that are just right, but those are the four that sit at the top of my list. for the most part, at least in the magazines over the years, everything has been a variation on a theme derived from these 4. (except for those weird channeled custom show boat things. that's a whole other story).

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres the "hidden" stuff that makes the Simard duece one of the best, IMO. The level of detail on the period-perfect 327/muncie. These pics are all from TRJ #41. He also used my favorite sixties look shifter handle, the Ecklers Impala swan neck with the 1 3/4 knob, re-popped to bolt into a Competition Plus. Look at the clutch linkage! This stuff makes me drool. The only thing is, whenever I look at this car, I think it should have door handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Either one of these.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

22. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Thats easy for me its mine! High milage supercharged ARDUN.

Attached Files:

23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Those fronts are for sure aluminum Crestlines, 15x4. The rears are Ansen top eliminators, 15x6. I run the same Ansens on my coupe, my fronts are American magnesium 15x4.

[​IMG]

24. Very nice !!

25. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Not "the best ever" even in my book but it's the one I got and I love driving it:

[​IMG]

26. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

I like way to many to list,but I guess I like mine to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  27. Tyeager760

Tyeager760

My top picks have already been mentioned but this roadster has the look. I don't remember where I got the picture from. [​IMG]

28. countspanko

countspanko

lobeck/boyd/rodwell/prufer/bresio/ start a list

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Honestly, I still think Spencers is/was the "best" if there is such a thing. There were just so many innovations on that car, and everything was so subtle and cleanly executed. But its still fun to talk about the also-rans. Mcgee's was pretty trick too, especially the hidden hinges in 1947...

30. Tyeager760 - This is [​IMG]Giannulli's Brizio-built '32 Hi-boy ... you most likely got the picture from the www.roybriziostreetrods.com website.