Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasket Sealer Intake Manifold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry VIII, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

I'm replacing intake manifold gaskets on my 350 ZZ4 crate engine. Heads are aluminum, intake is aluminum. What should I use for a sealer, please?

2. bgaro

bgaro

usually a little rtv around the water holes works.

3. Adran

Adran

Depends on gasket type.

4. Definatly rtv at front and rear galleys. I always like permatex on the ports though. Never a leaker.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

.......Ultra Black....if not available, Ultra Blue... if not, wait and find some

Make sure you have plenty on the front and rear, and some around the water jackets.....

6. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Permatex right stuff

7. Pete

Pete

Honda bond! Best shit around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Whenever I replace intake gaskets on a SBC I throw those stupid cork pieces for the front and rear into the woods and use a fat (3/8") bead of ultra black silicone instead, making sure I overlap the corners onto the cylinder heads. Just make sure you leave enough time for the silicone to cure before you fire it up...that has bit me in the ass before and I ended up doing an intake gasket twice and only got paid for one....

9. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks, I haven't had to do this in a long time.

10. n847

n847

What he said except I also put a dab of rtv on the intake bolt threads and around the ports with a skim coating...never had a leak! I know this is a debatable subject but this method is how my dad always did it an it works for me! Actually he didnt agree with the end gasket rtv method till the guy who built his 500+ hp stroker did the exact same thing! I've always used blue or black permatex but I've heard great things about that "right stuff" product.

11. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

I second the Honda, bond its good stuff

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't use the hard blue perma torque gaskets get some of the softer ones like the felpro performance ones then just ultra black on the end seals and thread sealer on the bolts that go into the valley so oil doesn't wick up the bolts.