Register now to get rid of these ads!

still need generator help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model a tommy, Aug 27, 2013.

1. model a tommy

model a tommy
    from NewJersey

just started the car seems to be charging ran it down the road until it got hot noticed that it wasnot charging pulled negative cable from battery engine stalled could this be regulater or generator

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Could be either.... time to break out an old shop manual.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Generators do NOT charge at idle !! Pulling cable and engine quiting at idle is normal. Run engine at least 1200 or so for this backwoods test.

4. model a tommy

model a tommy
    from NewJersey

thanks for the tips also someone told to power the field side of the gen to see if it powers up the gen any thoughts on this thank you

5. tolo2go

tolo2go

I have been working on the same issue. I have been all through the HAMB and others trying to get some more answers. Hope you can get the answers you are looking for. I will be checking back to piggyback off the answers you get.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can make the generator go to full power by connecting a hot wire from the battery to the field terminal. Caution, do not leave it on more than a few seconds. The object is to see if the generator is good. If it is, that leaves the voltage regulator or possibly the wiring.

For proper tests you need a multimeter and shop manual.

7. tolo2go

tolo2go

His profile says Model A, but that does not tell us what motor he is running. I am having a similar problem running a 1954 Chevy stock 235. I just rebuilt the generator, polarized the system. The car will run for a 2 hour trip, but as soon as I shut it down it will not start. The gauge reads in the middle, not discharging and not charging. Hate to take over this thread, it why not help two car guys guys at once?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure that test will even work with a generator. I'm pretty sure you have to have a battery in the circuit (even a stone dead one) to have the generator work at all.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

That would depend on if it is a internal or external ground generator.

10. tolo2go

tolo2go

I am going out there now to run this test. I know this will help others as well. 1947knuck, thank you.