Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects from a 63 year slumber to the "Race of Gentlemen" 33 5 wdw ford "

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOLLYWQQD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. That looks AWESOME !!!!!!

2. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I got goosebumps looking at that car!!! NICE! :)

3. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

thanx for all of the compliments guys it means alot to the club and to me !! these guys are an awesome group of guys . there are only a few of us but we all have something to bring to the table and kustom really puts him self out so we can make things happen! this event is going to be a riot and we are glad we are able to be a part of it!!

jp

4. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

Very cool Justin

5. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

thanx jeff
    any bites on SOUR ?? what ya buildin' now??

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

don't let the pic fool ya it's not ready yet , pulled the rear end ,torque tube, and tranny today . got a pressure plate to inner tranny clearance issue that needs addressing and there is still glass and interior stuff to put back together , lights , etc . etc .

8. titus

titus

Looks rearly good, never chop that SOB, itd kill the look! ive seen a few cars built that look like this then get chopped, heck no!!

Keep it up man!

jeff

9. PA Gas

PA Gas

WOW!!! Keep it up, it looks great.

10. hallrods

hallrods

Neat story and build

11. Muttley

Muttley

Thats the Eddie Meyer logo I was hoping you went with when I was looking at the previous page............this car will rule the world.

12. Mart

Mart

Early trans with 11" clutch? Or does the 10" give a problem with the early trans?

If you can set it up with a 9" job it should be ok.

Love the car, I have a 33 5W myself.

Mart.

13. Mart

Mart

Yeah, that Logo is very cool. I don't think I ever saw that one before. Very clever.

Mart.

14. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

not sure which clutch is in it , gotta squirm my way in there with a measuring tape . it came with the motor when i got it out of a running/driving hot rod so i never even looked at it !! i did notice when we compared the tranny to another tranny we had that came out of a 37 truck that the truck trans has more clearance inside the bell , the throw out shaft is also moved back towards the rear about 1/2" it would work in the car but the rear mount ears are a bit lower and about 1/2" further out on each side and i don't want to cut the frame . also when looking at the numbers on the tranny that came out of the 37 truck they start with an 18 and are followed by a 34 . i thought that number series was for a 34 vehicle . i know the stock tranny in the 33 matches the frame number and is *18-33xxxx*so maybe the one we have from the 37 donor truck was a replacement using an old 34 trans .it did have a ford replacement motor tag on the motor . i don't really know for sure .

????????? any one know if there is a direct replacement tranny that will bolt in using existing holes and closed drive set up ?????????????

15. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

ha ha i don't know about Ruling the world but it will rule the little town i live in and might even win a race or two in jersey !! :)

16. Mart

Mart

The casings are all interchangeable. You can use the later casing and just use the rear mounts that suit your frame. You will have to use a gearset from a closed driveline vehicle though. (Pre 49).

Mart.

17. n847

n847

That car has "IT"!!!!

18. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

the casing on the tranny housing that clears has the wrong spacing up and side to side on the rear mounts . they are cast right into the housing not removable like the early tranny i have !! i'll see if i can add some pics to this post !!

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

OK, I just read through the entire thread and I gotta say that the Pennelvillians are some of the coolest guys I know. Accept for that JP character, he just seems like a fuckin' knob...

Dude, B-A-D A-S-S! I wish I was closer so I could get out there and wrench with y'all.

Oh, by the way, my pile is no longer for sale. You've inspired me to finish the damn thing just so I can line up against ya.

Did you find a replacement tranny yet?

20. Mart

Mart

Does not compute.

If the rear mounts are built in, I don't know what sort of tranny that is. It's not a conventional early ford trans.

Mart.

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW!!
    What a cool car to start with...and what an awesome job you guys have done!

22. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

these pics suck but it gives you an idea it's really hard to tell in these pics but the tranny that does not clear and is original to the car is a 33 passenger car trans and the vin matches the frame so i am certain of what it is . the other tranny with the cast in ears has a 34 vin number on it but it came from a 37 truck . the throwout shaft is moved rearward in the tranny about 1/2" making the inner bell clearance sufficient for the clutch that is in my 59A motor . what i really want is a tranny that bolts into the 33 frame without modification and has enough bell clearance to work with whatever clutch i have and will work with the closed drive set up so it seems passenger car tranny pre 49 is what i need i hope . i am going to visit two guys today that have tranny stashes . one has a few and needs some things i have so i might be able to work out a trade deal and the other has dozens of trannies and is a fellow HAMB'r so i am most likely to get what i want there .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mart

Mart

Get in there with a socket. Six bolts and that rear mount will come off.

Mart.

24. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

off of which one ?? the one on the right in the pic of the rear showing the ears ,those are cast right into the housing . the one on the left is my original 33 and those ears are removable . there are also other differences . the top cover is also different size in width and length !! i'm going to check out a bunch of trannys one night this week so hopefully this will be handled soon

25. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

there is only minor difference in the outside dimension of these transmission. switch the 34 trans mount to the trans you want to use and it should fit.
    Jared

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Both those rear mounts come off the same way. Take the U joint and cover off, you'll see the bolts...

27. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i'll dig a bit deeper tomorrow night after work . i'll keep you guys posted !!!

28. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

well i feel like a schmuck ! i got after that case with the cast in ears tonight with a putty knife and a wire brush and scraped and brushed a 1/2" of crud off of it and you guys were right !! the ears were not cast into the body . we bolted the correct ears on the case with the correct inner bell clearance and it looks like i'm good to go !! it's going back in tomorrow night so i'll let ya know for sure but it seems to me that it's all set now !! i can't believe we didn't look a little better before . three of us looked at it and were all convinced the ears were part of the case casting , but we never cleaned it up to get a better look !! WTF !!!

thanx guys for making me look into it more i was convinced i needed another tranny!!

29. slammed

slammed

That was UK spammer that usually hits in the 1-4 AM time zone here. I have lit him up to the mods 4-5 times.