Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Someone along the line probably turned it into a Super Stock Class car, or possibly Modified Production, maybe even a Bracket Car. Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. kbrady

kbrady
    from alabama

Looking for old photo's of my 1949 Olds 4door or my 1950 Olds 2dr HT that i ran in jr stock. Raced in E'town and the Oldbridge track. Never raced for money only trophy (wasn't fast enough). Thanks kbrady.

3. old colt w/s pinto station wagon could run .500 under the index at will would pull the frt wheels 12" 2000cc 4speed 4.88 the lowest gear that fit into the housing 22.5x8x13 slicks

4. kbrady

kbrady
    from alabama

Was sponsored by Central Jersey Speed & Sport.

5. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Announcement for York 2014 Junior Stockers

Guys, with 500 plus pages of Junior Stock posts on the HAMB , there's a pretty good chance the interest is still there for the way Stocker racing was in that era, lets call it 1969. It was apparent at York 2013 as Darwin Doll's post states. Figuring there are people walking thru the York show who either raced, watched it, lived it , built engines or whatever during that era the thought is that there are still enough people around who might just might want to bench race once
    again. So here's the plan. It's eleven months away. The plan is to have the " Woodstock of Junior Stock-York 2014" at the York expo center this coming year. Details are being worked out for a room to do it in, which day, etc etc. but one thing is for sure, any of you guys willing to and still able to travel to the York 2014 show may really want to plan on this one. As more of the luminary people in Drag Racing pass away the time could not be better than the present.
    We have no idea yet who will come. We have no idea yet how many will come. We have no idea yet how many cars are out there and the cars are only part of it. Not everyone still has their car but still want to revisit old friends. So do it. This is the event . Other announcements will follow. If you want to comment please do either in a PM or a post. If you have an idea for this, call it.please speak up, it matters. Imagine so many Junior Stockers together that it goes beyond what we even imagined it can be. At the 1969 Woodstock concert there were a half a million people. They didn't expect that either. But it happened . So can this. So will this...

61Cruiser likes this.
  6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

And the date for this is...? Need to start planning.

7. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Sorry, that would help,huh?? July 11 and 12 ,2014. The actual website is under York reunion and Nostalgia nationals. I search it as York Musclecar madness 2014. A lot of past pics are on their now.... Lots of beautiful cars....
    Thanks for the reminder on the date.....

8. A few years back we had a gathering of Lyndwood dragsters at York and NINE cars were there, probably the biggest ever gathering of cars last produced in the mid 60's. Many other drivers/owners stopped by to see them. There were a heck of a lot more Jr Stockers than dragsters, think you'll have a big turnout.

9. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Jack, that would be great if the Expo Center is packed. I think you're right, there are still a ton of people who raced those Stockers. Some I've met and their ability to pull engine and drivetrain info from memory is astounding after all these years. The plan to get them together is the next step.....thanks..

10. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

That would be cool!

11. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Kickin' , you're in Pennsylvania, you should maybe pencil those dates in???????

It'll be worth the drive.........

12. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

I just returned from the HAMB Drags at MoKan Dragway, where I met Tim Pogue who has Kyle Marshall's delivery. We talked about York and I am ready to be there. I still have my O/S 57, the Carrot Cart back in the basement of my house in Alabama. It is apart and in bad shape, because it set outside for several years. I am thinking about trying to put it back together as is. I plan to post photos as soon as figure out how. I still have most of the pieces except for the engine, unfortunately, however I have a friend there that will help me put something together. Lot of work to do. I will also need some help on a few key parts like headers, rear tires, 3 speed shifter. Looking forward to it

13. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Don, I had the opportunity to meet Tim and Kyles old Delivery at York this year. With Tim all the other guys that were there with Old or repro Stockers it made for quite a weekend. Hope to see you there for 2014. Let us know what you need to complete the car.

14. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

Don, I may be able to help with a 3 speed shifter. I'm sure I have an old Hurst Synchro-Loc shifter, probably with the linkage. Tom

15. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

reminder to east coast guys, delmar us 13 drag way 50th birthday party, car show, drag racing and all around good fun this sunday aug. 25 th at track in delmar delaware. happy birthday gang!!!!

16. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Don, I have a set of used fenderwell " Doug's" small block headers in the event you can't find Hooker or Stahls if that's even what you're looking for .....if you want pics, let me know.....thanks

17. BSL409

BSL409

For sale Stahl fender well headers for a small block. Good condition. Glass beaded and painted VHT SP127 Universal aluminum. Adjustable collectors. Stamped 372082. Fits all Tri-Five Chevies.Last of the race motor from my Joint Venture D-gasser. Can't use them on my street 348 W engine.[​IMG] I'm posting them here for you guys who might be interested before I put them on FEE-BAY.
    $250.00 plus the ride.PM me if interested or e-ma[/EMAIL] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  18. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

cool

19. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

wow, just back from 50th birthday party at US 13 dragway delmar delaware. what a great day to be at a drag race, real good turnout for drags and car show, met a lot of older guys we used to race with and against, was good to see George Cureton there, he really looks good, Tim Bishop was there,Dave Bishop,Tom McCrea,and a bunch of jr.&ss racers. all in all a real good day to be a dragracer, even an old racer!!!!

20. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

for those that could not make the trip to delmar's 50th, there are pictures on face book under delaware racing US 13 raceway.hope this is ok to post??

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

I couldn't find it, post a direct link if you can.

22. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

23. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Attached are photos of Tim Pogue's (Kyle Marshall) 57 Delivery at HAMB drags at MoKan Dragway. He made four passes and it really brought back memories. And yes, those Stahls still make the most beautiful music on earth. His was the only true "stocker" there, but there were many original cars from back in the day. I would highly recommend going next year.

Attached Files:

24. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Attached are photos of my O/S 57 from 70/71. Still have the car and most of the parts stored in Alabama. Planning to restore over the next year and come to York. Also, wondering if anyone has any photos of the car. Will post photos of the sad shape car is in now when I get back to Alabama later this month.

Attached Files:

25. jkane

jkane

I spent a lot of days and nights in Alex's garage and I never, ever saw him trying to get 4 forward gears in a 3 speed case. Sitting hear with Joe Gregg who also spent a lot of time helping Alex out and he never saw Alex try it either. Alex was a great guy and sorely missed.

26. jkane

jkane

The "hot" set-up was the longer ball joint studs made by John Burkholder who started Horstman Manufacturing's venture into speed parts and then he went on to found B&B Performance. John made long ball joint studs out of forged steel. They allowed the car to sit in a stock position and upon acceleration would allow the front end to lift while keeping the front tires straight and not pull them in at the track surface and scrub speed. They also allowed the nose to settle down and not have the hood and grill up scrubbing even more speed on the top end. One of his earliest race cars is shown a few pages back-The "Yellow Fever" car sponsored by R.E. Fennell company, Lexington, Ky. The picture was taken at Cecil County, Maryland. My dad was his sponsor back then. He went on to build a 55 wagon, then a 69 Camaro Z-28.

27. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Just want to weigh in on the tall spindle issue. Tall spindles or long ball joint studs will actually increase camber change through suspension travel. Raising the location of the upper ball joint will decrease the swing arm length, which is the distance from the ball joint line to where the upper and lower control arms intersect. The shorter swing arm length reduces the arc that the spindle travels thereby increasing chamber change through suspension travel. The ball joint spacer or lift kit will provide the additional lift with out changing the location of the ball joint which will maintain the same swing arm length.
    The other issue is bump steer, which is caused by a difference in the relationship of the location of the tie rods and control arms. Bump steer causes changes in toe in and toe out as the suspension moves through its travel. This can scrub some speed if it is excessive. Our round track friends use this to help a car turn in corner as the suspension travels.
    If a suspension on a drag car has adequate positive caster it will generally handle properly at speed. I never had any problems with my 57 at speeds over 100.
    One question I do have is what did Jack Arnew do to some of the suspensions of some of the NED stockers. I have wondered if maybe he was bending the control arms to perhaps stagger the wheelbase slightly.

28. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

For all you Bobby Warren fans you will be happy to know he has made it to the semi finals of the 59 th U.S.Nationals.I hope he can go all the way!!

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't think that this was done on Stockers back in the day, but I saw a Bracket Car that had the "knuckles" for the ball joints modified. One side had an additional mounting welded forward on the spindle/knuckle; the other side were welded rearward; done to increase rollout in the beams. My Super Comp rear engine dragster had the front axle built with 2 inches difference built in, side to side. I have an old Genuine Suspension lift kit for the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars, that is a "stud" bolted in between the upper ball joint stud, and the upper knuckle of the spindle. Basically making a "long" ball joint stud as was mentioned a couple of posts back. The other thing about the ball joint lift kits on the Tri-Fives; in order to get maximun lift, the snubber, and it's riveted on mounting, needs to be removed. Some guys took an Oxy-acet cutting torch to the frame, and just cut them out, rather than just remove the rivets. Stock, these cars today, suffer from frame spread at the front suspension cradle; I imagine the hard, metal-to-metal slamming of the upper A-arm on the frame would really contribute to this. It was also hard on the upper A-arm; is't that right Tim (Tim Pogue)? He had to replace the left upper A-arm on Hustlin' Hoosier, due to breakage at the ball joint directly related to the lift kit. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  30. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I gotta tell you, when I posted that question On the spindles I had NO IDEA so many guys would kick in here. Without sounding like a commercial endorsement again, it why I come to get educated from 504 pages of info from the good guys who knew then and know now how these cars made the grade. Thank you.
    Don: I can't wait to see that car roll into the York hall. Please keep posting the pics as it goes along.

61Cruiser likes this.