Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running an Engine Without Exhaust System

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 29, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Next time I have the torch lit I'll heat up an old one, blow cold air on it and see what happens.

Unless someone else beats me to it. Please, someone beat me to it..

2. stimpy

stimpy

heat it up red hot now when you do this ...

3. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Not being a machanic, I remember something about triming the exaust length for proper back pressure.

4. Benny_H

Benny_H

Exhaust systems are designed to direct exhaust flow. If its coming straight out the ports it's just blowing everywhere and probably into your face. Running headers is cool carbon monoxide is not. Just me but being able to breathe is a bit of priority

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. loudbang

loudbang

In my mechanics trade school class we had brand new Ford and chevy donated engines on stands with no exhaust system including no exhaust manifolds and they were run a lot to test trouble shooting skills under pressure (loud exhaust) and never a problem.

Think about it for a second how is static cold outside air going to stand a chance of moving against the exhaust flow under pressure moving out. Unless you have a very high overlap cam.

6. Yes lets think about this, hummm.
    (Playing the jeopardy theme song)

7. pitman

pitman

The guys who mention the CO on this thread, I'd have to agree. Back at the lab at school, I was to evaluate sensors, made to detect carbon monoxide. 50 parts per million was the upper limit, the canary would cease chirping. It is believed to attach preferentially to the blood's heme molecule, so, no oxygen for you!

8. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Z
    I met the owner of this Bugatti at a show here in England. Intresting history as its a genuine race car and in 1914 it shot a piston through the block at LeMans as it crossed the finish line in first place. The car stopped and Buggati himself went over to the car and opened the rad cap. In doing that the car was disqualified. Only the driver was allowed to touch the car. It was bought by a collector and for 75 years the car sat in a garage with a holed block until the guy seen, bought the car here, found a correct engine and rebuilt the car.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus