Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49-'54 Chevy Car Spindles on '41 Chevy???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '41 Chev, Aug 29, 2013.

1. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

A. Will '49-'54 car Spindles fit and be compatible with a '41 Chevy car Spindle Supports and Tie Rods?

B. Will '60 Corvette Spindles fit and be compatible with a '41 Chevy car Spindle supports and Tie Rods?

*Interestingly, the king pin & bushings are the same on the car '39-'54 and the corvette '53-'62.

Thanks for any advice,
    Gaither ('41 Chev)

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

My pop bolted up a 54 chevy frontend on his 39 chevy chassis. Worked great!

3. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Yeah, the crossmember is a bolt-on. I just need to know about these Spindles.

Thanks,
    Gaither

4. 1950ed

1950ed

5. 1950ed

1950ed

putting the 49-54 spindles on 41-48 uprights will drop the car about 5/8 or so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. chaddilac

chaddilac

My point was to use the whole frontend! :)

7. And if you just want to convert it to five lug, I'd bet you can swap over 51-54 backing plates, hubs, and drums as a bolt-on swap too.

8. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

OK, guys, all good, helpful info. My reason for asking is I wanted ''51-'54 Bendix brakes on the '41 (Corvette used the same brakes t0 '62). I was told the '54 brakes were a bolt-on on my '41. NOT SO!!!

Today I found the '49-'54 spindles carry the same forging number (3693446) as the '53-'62 Corvette. However, the part numbers are different! I'm not sure how they differ (if they are different). Could Chevy have used a different part # on the Corvette to get more money for 'em?

I'll find out if the Corvette spindles will fit my '41 in a few days. I found (locally) a complete '60 Corvette crossmember, steering, brakes etc. I'm gonna try the spindles on my '41. Then we'll know!

Does anyone here know of any difference between '49-'54 car spindles and '53-'62 Corvette spindles? If so, please share your information.

Thanks to each and all for all the great help,
    Gaither ('41 Chev)

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

Yes the 49 -53 chevy front end is the same as the C1 corvette.

10. jimvette59

jimvette59

There is no difference. I am restoring a set of 54 chevy uprights and spindles right now for my 59 corvette that I've owned for 50 years. If you can get the whole front end and bolt it up. The 41 is a completely different front suspension.

11. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jim, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm gonna be interested in mounting the '60 Corvette spindles and brakes on the '41 spindle supports. You have the info I needed.

My '41 suspension is all rebuilt and good. I wanted the Bendix brake upgrade particlularly since I'm gonna run a '56 Chevy rearend (3.55) with Bendix brakes (may run a hydrovac in-line booster too).

I still can't figure why the '49-'54 spindles and '53-'62 Vette spindles carry different part numbers when the forging number is the same. However, if the Vette spindles will fit my '41 spindle supports, I'll be happy.

Thanks very much!
    Gaither

12. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

1950ed has given you the best information available regarding Chevy Spindles. Note that the spindle dimensions are the same for 41-54 Car IFS. Reading the article over and over should get you where you want to be.............. Jeff

13. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, you are correct. The info 1950ed sent is the whole story on the spindles. Also, Jimvette's info is invaluable, since I have the complete crossmember from a '60 Vette, which has the spindles and brakes I'll use on the '41.

It really threw me when the '54 backing plates didn't fit the '41 spindles! I picked that up some time ago and now, I can't find where I got that info. So, I punt and change the spindles!

Each of you men have been helpful and I really appreciate it. I'm 76, know very little and therefore, need all the help I can get. I realize this is my last rodeo and want to get it as correct as I can.

Thanks much,
    Gaither

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    bct likes this.
  14. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Gaither, I can really appreciate that you are doing your car at age 76. I am 66 and some what damaged in the back and legs and it takes a lot to get me going some days.
    If you need anything send a PM and I will try to get you an answer if I don't know. Chevrolet cars and trucks are really the only ones I have ever cared about and I have owned quite a few of those since age 16.
    I am still trying to figure out how to get the 64 Corvette Brakes mounted on your 41. Send some pictures if you like................ Jeff

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I seem to recall reading that there IS a difference between std Chevy and Vette front ends and the difference is, I believe, in the height of the king pin boss on the upright.

The Vette's boss is higher, something less than an inch, thereby lowering the car that amount, if all else is equal. I would guess that something was machined slightly different on the spindle forging when destined for a Vette, giving it a different part number. I am not saying it matters all that much when swapping parts, just that the engineers spec'd something slightly different when designing for production.

16. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, 'sorry about the back and legs. 'Had lumbar surgery twice - ain't fun!
    The '64 Vette brakes still bother me. Nephew is gonna put discs on his Vette so the brakes are available. As you know, a 3-inch wide drum brake will reach and get you! If I had a machine shop and more money, I'd be caught putting 'em on the '41. If you come up with a solution, give a shout. Thanks for your offer to help.

HN, seems the '49-'54 car spindles and the '53-'62 Vette spindles lower the car about 5/8". I don't normally lower my cars but 5/8" wont bother me. We may find other differences when we bet 'em both torn down(?). Different part numbers puzzles me when the forging number is the same.

Men, I appreciate each and all of you for your interest and assistance. You are a great bunch of guys and it means a lot to me.

Gaither

17. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

I need to give an update on this. The '60 Vette spindles and front brakes went on the '41 Chevy (car) just fine. Works well and stops well. 'Haven't put the front clip back on yet to see how much it lowered the front. I'm betting not much.

Thanks, guys,
    Gaither

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Again, I believe it is the spindle supports (aka "uprights") that is responsible for lowering a Vette, not the spindle itself. On Vette uprights, the spindle mounting boss is at a different height.

19. 54 uprights are about 3/4" inch different than all the others. Lowers about an inch more when all done.

20. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

In that case, the '41 is still at stock height.

I found a good '60 Vette front crossmember assy and used the spindles and brakes from it.

I still have the rest of the Vette crossmember if anyone needs anything from it, including new shocks.

21. i have a set for sale . classified