Register now to get rid of these ads!

So.....What was your first build???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themoose, Aug 30, 2013.

1. [FONT=&quot]I was having a B.S session with a couple of guys the other day when the conversation turned to the topic of our first builds. I can remember mine like it was yesterday. When I got my license in 1965 I inherited my mother’s 1953 Plymouth Cambridge. It certainly wasn’t the most desirable car for a young guy to own but it was wheels and better than nothing. I drove that old flathead six around for over a year before I came to the conclusion that something had to be done. A friend of mine had a subscription to Rod and Custom magazine and we would often the articles on cars that had gotten the full custom treatment which often include an engine transplant and it got my wheels turning. Just about the time when I knew I had to do something with the old Ply another friend of mine came across 55 Chevy 210 with a tired old 265 with a Powerglide transmission. Rather than rebuild the engine he found a good 283 “Power Pack” with a three speed in the junk yard and did a swap. He didn’t want the old engine and transmission so I volunteered to take it off his hands for free. I got my JC Whitney catalog out and was able to get all the parts I needed to do a complete rebuild for under a hundred dollars .With a little help from my friends I was able to get the engine and transmission into the old Ply, went from an ugly green to a nice black primer paint job with no emblems or chrome, popped off the hubcaps and painted the wheels red and got the suspension to sit at the desired level. It might not have been the most radical custom around but it was one of the most fun cars I ever owned and I must say it was somewhat of a chick magnet in its day. Ahh the memories. [/FONT]<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->

2. My first build was a 54 Ford mainline in 1966,,,I bought it from an elderly gent that purchased it new in 54,,,the car was what was referred to at that time as a cream puff!

The car was original blue,,,,sporting the good old inline Ivory 6 and a 3 on the tree,,,just a basic old car that had been lovingly cared for from day one.

Put a 16 year old with a size 12 foot on the loud pedal and the main bearings were history two days after the ink had dried on the title,,,this was the start of my obsession with all things mechanical,,,

With the help of a young hot rodder that was my grandfathers neighbor I learned first hand about digging into the bottom end of a automobile engine,,,,,the bearings were replaced,,,,,only to last a few weeks longer,,,,size 12 foot again.

Lesson learned,,,,comet cleanser will clean up grease and oil,,,,it will also remove a lotta hyde!

The next engine replacement chore was hired out to a local junkyard,,,,but this time it was a 1962 police interceptor,,,,the car would fly,,,but didn't stop as fast as it would go,,,,but I managed to avoid hitting anything for a while.

On a crisp fall morning when i was leaving my part time job at Sears for lunch at my girlfriends house when a lady pulled out of a side street in front of me driving a tank in the form of a mid 50's Plymouth and I swerved to the right and hit a telephone guide wire and rolled my car,,,,two and a half times to come to a stop on the roof,,,,my 54 ford was gone,,,totaled,,,,I did manage to get out of the car with only minor cuts and scrapes,,,,got most of those from reaching back in the car to get that new Jimi Hendrex album.

That was a cool car. HRP

3. Forty61

Forty61
    from DFW

First real build was my '50 F1 at a shop I worked for...

It received a 360FE with some bolt-on goodies, headers that we flipped and ran out the fenderwells, under the running boards and dumped behind the cab. It had a 3-speed that had been converted to a floor-shift, custom dash with Dolphin (I know, I know) gauges and a few other little nice goodies. It was loud as hell and got a LOT of attention.

Then I went through some financial issues, related to said employer not paying me, forcing me to get rid of it after the motor decided it had a few too many bearings. I had grown tired of it since it took so long to build and I'd just lost the passion for it after the fiasco with the job...

It was an awesome truck though, I do miss it, just don't miss the bad juju it had with me. I hope it's in a good home somewhere now...

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

'58 Impala with 110,000 miles for $200, out of a garage in Tiburon Ca.. The original Sierra Gold lacquer rubbed out beautifully, one small dent in the front fender that banged right out. Removed the original continental kit and bumper and tossed them in a ditch. Added Cragars and air shocks. Drove it with the 283/4bbl/Powerglide my junior year in high school, by my senior year I had yanked out the cast iron glide (literally, pulled it with a rope from behind with another car) and replace it with a 3 speed, then a Muncie 4 speed. Took it with me to college where I studied Industrial Arts. Built a 396, made fenderwell headers, raised spindles. Traded it for a Camaro when I got out of college.

Attached Files:

5. Fenders

Fenders

First one was in 1961 -- a 1954 2-door 54 Ford, original two tone blue, with the straight six. Hard to say it was a "build" -- but it was a little different with lowering blocks in the back and the '54 Desoto grille I put in.

6. F&J

F&J

56 chevy BelAir 2dr ht 6cyl 3 speed, for 10 bucks from a neighbor who had it junked in the woods. He had a mint garaged coppertone/ivory 57 2dr ht with 327 3 speed floorshift for $300, but I was 14 or 15 with no money.

Within a year, I got a 58 chev 2dr sedan 283/PG for free because it smoked. I drove it home, no plates. Boy it smoked worse on the road. Took the motor out and put it in the 56, after finding the few V8 tri5 parts needed. It would not pass state inspection due to smoke, even with 4 cans of STP. I was bummed out.

Within another year, my cousin found me a 55 BA 2dr ht with a rebuilt 348 tri-power with new carbs, that was wrecked by a guy on leave before going to Vietnam. I got it for $75, and I traded the body for the hauling of it, to my folks house.

i had no good tools, just some wrenches, but the swap was easy, using all the modified pieces from the 55.

That was the first car I painted with a spraygun (a vibrator type compressor, and cheap gun, borrowed). It was on Christmas eve.

7. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

My first build was a 1962 c10 short bed. I got it for 400$ when I was 14 years old. It had a wore out 235 straight 6 in it with a 3 speed someone had put a floor shifter on. I pulled it out and made a trip to the junk yard. I found a 327 backed by a four speed in a 72 long bed pick up. The 327 turned over but had no guarantees. I took it home and began working and saving money to rebuild it. After I saved up about 500$ I ordered the rebuild kit, a .488 lift cam, and a torker 2 intake. I bought a book on how to rebuild it and went to town. My dad came home to the motor in pieces. He said oh god it will never run again. I'll never forget that following week when I got the truck back together and fired it up. It was like a child being born. Been hooked every since.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lonestar54 likes this.
  8. Girlfriends now wifes 56 Chev bel air,total rebuild,down to every nut bolt and rivet.
    Cured me from ever doing a resto again!good learning curve though.

9. cavman

cavman

My first one was the car in my avatar. In 1965, I bought 2...a '55 and a '56 for under a hundred dollars, both snow birds from a tow company. The '56 was crappy, with plywood frt fenders of all things. Not rusty, just beat up a bit. I took the rear gate off, and never went back for the rest....

The '55, a 265/overdrive, was pretty nice. I rebuilt the 265, bored .060, 12.5:1 Jahns, Isky 505 cam, (I still have the 1965 Isky brochure from the speed shop in St. Paul)early double hump heads, 'Vette 340hp intake, and an AFB from a 409.
    I reversed my own wheels, Olds or Buick rims with the Chev centers. A set of frt springs from a 64 Chev 409 wagon, with some strange ball joint stud extensions, got it up in the frt. I made the OD manually controlled via a toggle switch so I had actually 6 speeds forward. With 4:11 gears it was fun to drive.

I sold it all when I got drafted in '66, the engine went in a '55 sedan that ran c/gas, and the Nomad went elsewhere, with a 348 in it by the new owner.

10. Mine was my first car . A 1966 Galaxy 500 2 door hard top . Possibly the most beautiful automobile known to God or Man .

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

12. My first car was a 56 Ford Fairlane 292/auto. I soon replaced the auto with a 3 speed in the floor... One of those cheap Spark-O-Matics that had a handle that turned with you when you tried to speed shift. Bruised my knuckles a lot with that. I never really rebuilt it, just tried to keep it running while I was in school. I sold it to my cousin when I went on an all expenses paid vacation thanks to Uncle Sam to the Far East in 1969.
    When I got back I got a later model Fairlane with a 390 and a 4 speed. I kept finding reasons to take it apart and rebuilt it over and over. I had a 3x2 setup from a 406 on it at one time but found out it ran better with a 428 Police Interceptor. I think the Ford FE is still my favorite engine still today.Strong running motor, hard to break.

13. My first build was a 1929 Model A cabriolet. Added hydraulic brakes, '49 Merc wheels, 5.60s and 8.20s white walls, Mordrop axle, Bell steering wheel. Then paint and a new top. That was in the early 1960's. ...built teenager quality. No photos.

Currently, since 2011, I have been working to get the same car back on the road, much the same but a lot nicer. ...about a year and a half to go.

Today, I started getting ready to set the body back on the chassis to fit everything properly.
    [​IMG]

14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I was 13 (1985) , I dragged home a '59 Mercury 1/2 ton for its 352, and a '64 Mercury 1/2 ton with a blown 292 (and not blown in a good way). With help and direction from my dad we got it done by the time I was 15. I sold it though:( even before I got my drivers licence! Also, sadly, the '59 went to the scrapper:eek:

15. jimstro16

jimstro16

My first build is sitting in the garage not finished yet, right next to my second build, also not finished yet...Someday

16. LongT

LongT

The first attempt never got it on the road but won a drag trophy is on the bottom, High school and Navy. First I finished is on the top about 1969.

[​IMG]

First car I finished.

[​IMG]

Bill

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steel bodied T bucket.

The frame was cut out of a 20' length of tubing by hand with a hack saw and welded together by Paul Charles of McGregor Tx.
    I found the body along a fence in a field where it probably had sat for 40 years. I carried it out of the field a piece at a time and didn't have to take it apart to do it. It all went home in one trip in the trunk of my 62 Impala.
    I bought a 61 Impala from a coworker for 100.00 and drove it home and pulled the 283 and powerglide and a week or so later gave the Impala to a Friend's wife and swapped the engine from her 59 rust bucket into it so she would have a presentable car.

The headers were a 5.00 swap meet item at the Dallas swap meet that was held in the bank parking lot in the 70's. My friends said that style was obsolete. The mufflers were Purple Hornies and sounded great.
    The drilled front axle came from a club member and the rear axle was 56 F100 along with the brakes.
    The dual 4's came off the 327 in my 57 Panel truck.
    The chrome reverse wheels had been bought for my 51 Mercury in 1966 when I was working at Boeings. My grandparents carried them to Texas for me when they went down to visit.
    The carpet was cheap but that was the hot lick for vans then. Hope the rat rodders don't pick up on that. The seat vinyl came from a fabric store along with the foam in it.
    Grand total I had less than 600 in 1974 dollars in that car and had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

My first build,also my first car,was,and still is a '66 Mustang coupe 289/4-spd toploader.I'm now restoring it the second time around,23 years later.

19. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

My 1st was a 46 Ford coupe when I was 14, never got it together.
    1st runner and 1st engine rebuild was a 53 Merc with an over-drive trans, and high rear end gears (automatic). Not much of a drag car, but super top end for a stock Flathead,
    120 in the Calif. desert..... :D LW

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  20. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

This is the coolest lookin 58 I've seen in awhile

21. hallrods

hallrods

Not sure what year this picture was taken but I built it in 1986 or 87

Attached Files:

22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's how it looks today.

[​IMG]

23. greybeard360

greybeard360

I worked all summer one year to earn $50.00 to buy my first car... a 56 Merc wagon. I rattle canned a "panel" paint job on it.. it was white and the black panels looked bitchin. The trans was toast so I yanked the Cruisomatic out and put a 3 speed in it I bought for $25.00... and all the parts I needed to put it in came out of a 56 Ford 2dr Ranch wagon.... Should have swapped my 312 into it instead !!

I drove it until I got out of school and spotted a white 62 Galaxie sitting at the back of a car lot.... jacked up, teardrop scoop, roll bar, Indy tires and Chrome reverse !!! The motor was knocking pretty bad and I bought it for $300.00, bought a short block for it, added a Melling 3/4 cam (yes, they actually called them that) and some headers. 3 speed on the floor.

Never could keep a trans in that car... 3- 3 speeds, 2 top loaders and then a Cruisomatic..... I gave up on it and bought a 69 Nova SS :)

24. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

51 Chevy four door I bought when I was 12(1995) or $500. It was an 80k mile original car that an lady had stored in her hay barn for several years after her husband passed away. With the help of my older brother, we got her drivable by the time I turned 15 and got my permit. We also scuffed her down and rattle canned her flat black, took the front coils and bump stops completely out, and found some nice 14'' smoothies for her in the local paper. She wasn't the nicest, but I was proud as hell of her!

Attached Files:

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mid seventies, O/T '72 pinto, ex hydro fleet car, black primered sh*tbox pretty healthy solid lifter 302. ported 351 windsor heads with chevy valves, 10" converter and 4.10s.

26. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

I did a 55 f150 and a 66 vette stingray with my pop when I was 13. Plan was to take my driver test in the truck....talked dad into letting me do it in the vette.

27. tedster

tedster

1962. I guess it was a build for a 15 yr old. 52 Plymouth 2dr post. Nosed decked, lowered by heating coils rode like hell but didn't care. split manifold, smittys. Not exactly red oxide primer more brown than red but primer. Narrow whites, Olds 3 bar flippers. Loved it.

28. took an old 20" side walk crusier and bought a banna seat and monkey bars at Western Auto....added a slick and a plate behind/below the seat and put my excess model decals on it....about 1967....

then 10 yrs later I built a 64 SS with a mild 396/4sp compo....need to post a thread on that one....drove it all over the states...

Scan23_0023.jpg

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, you mean your FIRST build. Ok well, that was around 1966. We used to coast/race down this BIG hill by my place with a curve and a gully at the bottom with a creek about 50' down through the bush from the side of the road. I figured something with a low center of gravity would be able to make the corner at the bottom flat out, so I wouldn't have to drag my feet down the hill like the other guys were doing.
    So I took this old tricycle, took the pedals off removed the seat, and sat down at the bottom of the tube, sorta like a big wheel, but before they were invented, or before any of us hicks ever saw one anyway.
    So anyway, I made a couple passes and it seemed to work pretty good, I was taking the corner at the bottom flat out, and the other guys couldn't keep up.
    Well, at least it worked pretty good until I ran a little wide going into the corner, and the outside back wheel got into the gravel. The little alders didnt stop me, but the creek at the bottom did. After they finished picking all the gravel out in emergency, my mom took my trike away...First time the "authorities" impounded my "ride", but it wasn't the last...:eek::p:p

30. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

In 1966 I bought a Chevy 2-dr Master 85 (beam axle car) all original. I sold the car in late 1968 with a 283, Power Glide and a 55 Chevy rear. That was my first and I still regret that I sold it. I have been looking for another or either a 39 Master 85 Coupe. At age 66 I probably have waited to long to build another one............... Jeff