Register now to get rid of these ads!

picked up a 1950 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by svopaul, Aug 31, 2012.

1. svopaul

svopaul

Picked up this more door....love the mug on it and it runs great, just needs the brakes done. Figured I'd have a little fun with it for a while. Not sure if anyone else is messing with these but I don't think I've ever seen one on the road and I tend to like the odd stuff....

Attached Files:

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Very cool and the chrome looks to be in pretty good shape.

3. I've always loved those grilles. it looks like a kid grinning with a big space between his front teeth..... Great score!!!!!

4. The best source of info on the 40s--50s old Mopars is the P15-D24 Forum.

Lots of knowledgeable members over there.

The DeSoto and Chryslers of that era have a 25" long engine, but
    Plyms and Dodges only have a 23" block. Otherwise, many parts
    are the same. You probably have a fluid drive clutch system.

Link to the forum: http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

5. svopaul

svopaul

Yes, it's got the Fluid Drive system. I honestly know nothing about these things so it's all a learning curve...thanks for the link!

6. Neat old car! The old guys face on the hood ornament seems very fitting-looks like an old sea dog on the front of a ship

7. wallyringo

wallyringo

cool whats under the hood?

8. svopaul

svopaul

I love the face on the hood ornament and it originally lights up which is pretty cool. It has the original Flathead six under the hood.

9. Gator

Gator

Haha - a friend of mine who has a lot of high-end street rods just bought one very similar for his daughter. He got it for peanuts at the Frog Follies and drove it home.

10. svopaul

svopaul

Haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd like but here it is to date....I found an original Visor and original headlight visors...I wanted parts with the same patina as the car. Lowered the rear 2" and put a set of coker classics on it.

Attached Files:

11. bmw2002e3

bmw2002e3

Me and my 1949 Dodge special Deluxe approve. :) same basic car. Jealous as hell over your sun visor.

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

The "old guys face" is Hernando Desoto, for whom the Desoto make was named for. It will make a neat cruiser. You are sure to meet and older person who has a story about a Desoto. Mine is a '49.

13. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Sweet looking old Desoto.....I like it!

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Deluxe model had the plastic face of Hernando DeSoto, it lights up with a light bulb inside when the headlights are on.

Let's see Honda do that!

Left hand threads on the left side wheels and six volt, positive ground battery.

The transmission is a peculiar cross between a standard shift and an automatic with characteristics of both. It is a rugged, reliable system. If anything goes wrong it is usually very simple to fix when you know how. 9 times out of 10, problems can be traced to low oil, there are separate fillers for trans and Fluid Drive unit, or frayed or broken wires, or engine idling too fast.

The trans takes a special technique to drive. Not difficult once you know the secret but not easy to figure out on your own. When you get to drive the car come back and ask if you like, or do a search for Fluid Drive, I have covered the question before a few times.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I miss the 50 Chrysler I had for many years,the fluid drive is a unusual trans and is neat as there is a couple ways it can be shifted and then let it shift itself plus a passing gear. Its not going to be a fast car but will be a nice cruiser.

16. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Just started working on 50 convertible. It's getting a Mopar 383 transplant as the original 6 needs a complete rebuild. I know there is at least one other member with a 50 also a vert car, Skeezix.

Attached Files:

17. Wizard

Wizard

I have parts/sheetmetal for it if you ever need any.

Wizard

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I had a cherry baby blue '50 just like that when I was in high school back in the early 2000's. My buddy has a green '49 2dr and a '53 dr, they are great cars. I have a '57 Chevy hard top now and it doesn't even get half of the attention as the DeSoto did.

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

You picked up a '50 Desoto??!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Jeeze....you must be incredibly
    strong!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Sorry, I couldn’t
    resist! LOL!:D:D Cool car! Nice
    find!! Can't wait to see it when
    it's done!

Mart3406
    =====================

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ultimate Desoto Episode - Happy Days Season 2 Episode 16...
    http://www.tv.com/shows/happy-days/cruisin-20509/

Richie, Postie, and Ralph are forced to go cruising for girls in Howard's DeSoto after Marion dents Richie's car at the supermarket. They find three girls but, later, find their boyfriends who are members of a gang called the Dragons.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you are working on the brakes better get a manual. They have excellent drum brakes, state of the art for the times.

But they are a precision machine compared to the loose leaf brakes used on some cheap makes.

They must be assembled correctly and the shoes aligned to fit the drums. If the drums have been turned you should "arc" the shoes to fit the drums. Brake shops used to have a grinder for this, you can do it yourself with a sanding block. Just sand the shoe until it fits snugly in the drum. Not just touching in the middle.

When the shoes are on they must be aligned to the drum. This is called a "major adjustment". Dealers and brake shops used to have a special gauge for this, you can make your own from wood with a wire pointer.

Once the "major adjustment" is done it does not have to be done again unless you replace the shoes.

You will need to do a "minor adjustment" from time to time, to take up wear. After doing a brake job you may need to touch up the adjustment once or twice, after they are broken in, readjust when the brake pedal is too low, once a year or less.

If the brakes are set up correctly and working as they should, they will stop the car straight and true every time. They should be powerful enough to skid the tires.

22. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

A DeSoto suburban beating up on a Nailhead powered T. :rolleyes:

23. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

10 weight oil for the fluid drive as I recall. I had a 41 Desoto in the 50's

24. DavidY

DavidY
    from 15102

I know it's not the aim of this forum, but I'd preserve, drive and keep it just like it is now. A great looking car.