Register now to get rid of these ads!

What wheels would you put on your A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I always felt artillery wheels should be on Gm and Chrysler cars and Fords should have steelies....nothin looks better to me than Chrome reverse and spyder caps....

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's been a couple of years since I found them, one by one, but they come from the larger Mopar products, possibly even SUV's. I wish I'd paid more attention. Three of the four wheels I have on the '33 have the little five-sided Mopar logo next to one of the lug holes. Why the fourth one doesn't have it is beyond me, because the wheel is identical to the others. There are two versions of the wheel. You want the one where the center part of the wheel does not protrude beyond the plane of the rim edges. The wheel's center should be about 1/4" below the plane of the wheel rim edges. They are 4.5" bolt circle, by the way, which is common for Mopar stuff. The wheels are very similar to the hard-to-find shoebox Ford 16" wheels, which had the 4.5" bolt circle.

Ironically, I was at the boneyard the other day, a small one with only modern stuff, and don't I find one lying right in the path between a row of cars. I look in my wallet & I don't have enough cash to by it. So, I stick it in the trunk of a really nice car & make a mental map of where it's at. I come back five days later (& you guessed it) they crushed the car. He who stalls is lost.

3. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

That's what we landed with. 40 steelies with ribbed trim rings and center caps.

[​IMG]

4. Lil32

Lil32

If running full fenders I like painted K-H thats my 2 cents worth

5. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Lil32 do like those K-H's.
    RustyNCA those steelies look great.Are those a 5" -6"rim.I need a 1 1/2"-2" backspace on the rear.

6. captmullette

captmullette

i get some crap about my choice but what the hell........

Attached Files:

7. brandon

brandon

et drags....the only way to fly.:eek:
    in drag race mode....looks fast. real fast:D
    [​IMG]
    right before leaving for a 2 day race...gotta drive there to race

[​IMG]

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

go 1932 18"wires in front with a little ass tire & 1935 16" with 235/85r16 in back.

5x5-1/2" bolt pattern though.

Attached Files:

9. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Thanks, they are just your typical 16x5 40 Ford rims. When we started with them, they were painted cream and had bullet lugs only.... I like the center cap and trim ring much better. I have no idea on the backspacing, I've never checked it....

I thought about running wires also, I actually assembled a set of center caps, but have never gotten the wires to try.

10. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

11. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Well just an update on wheel purchase as I finally made a decision.Actually came to that decision after talking to Jimmy(Wheelkid) at Rally America.He gave me such a good deal on Streetrod wires that I couldnt pass it up,also he had all my questions answered and then some so do appreciate the advice from those of you that pointed me in his direction.They have a 10% off sale at the moment on wires and he also gave me another 10% off for being an Alliance member.So 20% off is Sweet!Now the next decision is tires!

12. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

Boring, thinking inside the box, belly button..........but I still like the look.

[​IMG]

13. I'm going with black steelies, no trim bands, center covers and (if the wallet allows) Coker Firestone blackwalls on my newfound A tudor! Sinister and simple!

Thanks for the affirmation, JJ!

14. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Had wires on mine at first, then switched to wide 5's. They're great looking and not everyone is running them. ImageUploadedByTJJ1336612438.099394.jpg

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Man, that looks fucking stupid.

16. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

Just put these on mine.....

[​IMG]

regards Dave.

17. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

:) Thanks I appreciate it, that's what I hear all the time..... :rolleyes:

18. Take a page from Kirbys book,,his coupe with wire wheels looks great,,not to mention his beautiful girlfriend. :D HRP

[​IMG]

19. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, those ten spokes with lug nuts, backed up w/ disc brakes, just says Fake, False, & Phony! Strictly poser stuff! Everybody knows that only the twelve spoke spindle mounts w/ no brakes are the real deal.

Yeah, I'm sure you know the difference, and don't give a crap, either. :rolleyes: I like the look of those Rockets, even if they're not historically correct.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Painted steelies or wires

4TTRUK

21. [​IMG]

16" 40 Ford

22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The Ford 16s are the best looking whether wires or smoothies.

23. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

what barn find said

24. Common wheels but work.

Attached Files:

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the car full fendered? If so you can't go wrong with 5 spoke Americans. You did price the Excelsior tires and recover from sticker shock, right? Great looking tires that I'll run someday myself. Bob :)QUOTE=rpkiwi;7717133]Buying wheels and tires for my 29 Sedan and would like Artillery but am having trouble finding 16,s with custom backspacing.Most artillery wheels are 15's but would like to use the Coker Excelsior or classic tires and they come in 16's.
    Would like something a little different other than the norm.Wires would be great but they are quite expensive.[/QUOTE]

26. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

These came off of a plymouth if the hubcaps are right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  27. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

this might make you feel a little better about your 10 spokes. there's nothing new under the sun. they've been around longer than most people know.

Attached Files:

28. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

15x4.5 and 15x7 chrome reverse

Attached Files:

29. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Steelies. Period. End of discussion.