Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help, '57 outer tie rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57MoreDoor, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I need some help and advice for my tie rods on my 57 chevy. The front is lowered enough to where the outer tie rods are about one inch higher than the inner tie rod ends. I've seen people use heim joints for the outers but I know nothing about them or what would fit or work. They are stock spindles. Anyone?

2. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

3. outlaw57

outlaw57

I used to have mine lowered, and I mean lowwww.. I know alignment wasn't right on spec with my tie-rods in same idea, but two power tours had no tire wear, drove good.

4. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

The spacers with the heim joints are not used simply to line up the tie rods. They are used to adjust the arc of the tie rods to more closely match the arc of the suspension travel.

If they dont match, the steering will toe in or out as the suspension compresses.

You need to check that before you go buying parts you may not need. Cesar

5. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Well I wasn't wanting do this for cosmetic reasons. My outer tie rods are extended all the way out. The tie rod housing that faces the tire is just about hitting against the tie rod shaft. I wanted an adjustable tie rod stud for a heim joint thinking that would help reduce the steering angle and the possibility of oem tie rod damaged. If that all makes sense.

I just don't know the taper degree for a 57 spindle.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

If they are 7 degree could you get one of the tapered reamers and put the tierods into the spindle the opposite way? Like we do on old ford spindles sometimes. If you could ream the spindles and put the tierods in from underneath it would fix your angle problem. As long as there is room and clearance why not?

7. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

My Chevy has them at the bottom.

8. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Still wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. squirrel

squirrel

I don't understand what the problem is. The tie rods need to be parallel to the lower control arm imaginary line between the pivot bushings and the ball joint. This prevents bump steer.

Pictures would help, too

10. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

If you want to check back tomorrow I can post a picture. The problem is the lower control arm is much closer to the frame than it was at stock height. So, that caused the steering arm, that the outer tie rod connects to, to be raised up. And from the angle it is at, I'm worried one day the tie rod stud is going to get ripped out of its socket.

11. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

The app somehow made the pictures look crappy
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396273157.928558.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396273229.741389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396273250.777688.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396273293.714828.jpg

12. squirrel

squirrel

looks ok to me, although it would be nice to have boots on them. You could disconnect the tie rod end from the steering arm, and see how much more angle it can get before it binds, to reassure yourself that it won't have a problem.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd twist that spindle arm 4 degrees to get it parallel with the angle of the tie rod...

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, lengthening the tie rod arm will only worsen that angle and put more pressure on the tie rod end. Once the angle is adjusted, then a longer tie rod adjuster could be fabricated by threaded the correct size tubing internally, to replace the stock adjuster.

15. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yeah boots fell apart. The thing is the springs will be replaced with bags eventually. So when it's dropped EVEN MORE, the tie rod will go up more. To drop it done can I use some kind of dropped tie rod or maybe this heim set up?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396278692.486240.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396278706.553072.jpg
    Also, can someone tell me the tie rod taper degree for a 57 belair. Speedway sells these studs and has them in 10 and 7 degree tapers. Also having trouble finding a heim joint that's 9/16-18 left hand male thread.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. squirrel

squirrel

The tie rod end is designed to not bind when the suspension travels all the way up, and all the way down. I think you're inventing a problem, that doesn't exist.

but what do I know....I have an aversion to spending money I don't need to spend.

17. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I need some more people to chime in, need second opinions. For the record, 2 whole coils were cut from the springs, probably a total of 3-3 1/2 inch drop, or 4.

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^

19. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Well look at the third picture of the tie rod. It's already at a steep angle, so when the suspension travels up the angle of the rod is going to increase and the tie rod socket will hit the tie rod stud.

20. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

57 md...
    Some guys use those tapered adapters on our dirt track racecars.....
    I wont !
    Seen way too many fail...
    They always break .
    Too much leverage on the unsupported shank..

In the real world...every driveway or pothole would have me holding my breath. ..

Best solution is a..drop spindle or b..drop steering arms..

Dave

21. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I was thinking dropped steering arm would be best, but I didn't bring that up because no one makes any for a 57 chevy. At least not that I've seen. Unless there's an existing OEM part can be used.