Register now to get rid of these ads!

Louis' Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Aug 29, 2013.

1. louisb

louisb

Hi All,

After a 20 year detour into VWs I am finally getting back to hotrods. First part of the puzzle was purchased a few nights ago from a fellow HAMBer and hauled home in all of its greasy Flathead glory. I am still learning about these motors but to my untrained eye the engine looks to be a '52-'53 8RT and the PO said it was used in an industrial application. Developed a case of Flathead Fever and called in sick today so I could start the tear down process. Got the heads and oil pan off and so far it looks like a good block.

Here is a few pics (sorry for the lousy cellphone pics):

[​IMG]
    2013-08-28 20.02.54 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2013-08-29 09.53.35 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2013-08-29 09.53.42 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2013-08-29 09.53.51 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2013-08-29 09.54.26 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2013-08-29 10.01.11 by louisfbrooks, on Flickr

It turns and the one stuck valve came lose with a light tap. No cracks that I can see yet. I did a quick check on the bores and they look to be stock size. It has a couple of missmatched valves but other than that it doesn't looked to have been touched. I am thinking I could probably get it to run but I plan on a full hot street build done for a future car project. (Thinking an '50s style A or T RPU) Now I need to find a machine shop here in Resume Speed, Florida that knows something about Flatheads to get it hot tanked and magnafluxed.

Thanks,

--louis

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Have it stripped and then pressure tested. A lot of cracks can be hidden from the eye. My experience has been 4/5 are cracked some between bolt holes repaarable and some between valves and cylinders not so repairable and some deep in side.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Better not call in sick too much. A Flathead is the most money you will ever spend to get 200 Hp, and as a VW guy you know what I am talking about.

Good Luck and Have Fun

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Check for main bearing web cracks, before spending a lot of $. That's one place that cannot be repaired. A very good investment is take the empty block to your favorite machine shop for cleaning and inspection.

Happy Flatheadin' ! 4TTRUK

5. louisb

louisb

I plan to strip it down this weekend to a bare block and then get it to a machine shop for hot tanking. I doubt the local shop knows how to mag a Flathead block right so I need to find someone who does to get it checked out. Having a lot of fun learning about these cool little engines. Oh, and if I wanted a cheap hobby I would have taken up golf. ;)

Thanks,

--louis

6. Several flatheaders in FLA.check out the Fordbarn too.

7. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Cracks aren't unique to flatheads. Any good machine shop should have the equipment, or have a subcontractor who does. You might want to be around to point out the "usual places" to them, if they don't have flathead experience. I would think down in FL at least there shouldn't be any freeze cracks, but you never know.

8. flthd31

flthd31

It's definitely been "touched". Look like it has aftermarket adjustable lifters...a nice bonus!
    I've found that industrial flatheads usually are good builders but may have been serviced quite a bit. Quite often, the valve train is a mix of a lot of different year parts. Some are rotating, some are not, and springs can have different heights.
    Flatheads are a great hotrod engine and fairly easy for anyone to take on. Have fun with it!

9. louisb

louisb

Your right, I didn't notice that. When I pulled the pistons and rods I noticed the rods have numbers punched in them.

Thanks,

--louis

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Actually looks pretty good but I would get it cleaned and magna fluxed . Most fun you'll ever have spending $5000.00 .