Register now to get rid of these ads!

Visiting San Francisco and LA from Australia where should I visit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffro37, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jeffro37

jeffro37

I am a hot rodder from Australia I have a finished 1936 5 window coupe and nearly finished a 1947 Chevy pickup. We are staying in San Francisco on Friday 20th September then driving to Laguna beach on Monday 23rd September via Sacramento so I can visit socal and vintage ford then staying at Laguna Beach till 28th September. I have a few places to visit but would really appreciate your advice on where to visit and what cruises to go on and if there are any shows or Motorsport I should check out. My wife is also after rockabilly shops to visit. Many thanks. Jeff

2. marman1950

marman1950

Walden speed shop is awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Roy Brizio's Street Rods in So SanFrancisco, Early Ford Store in San Dimas,CA(near Pomona)

4. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

If you wanna a place to hang out & stay for a night & day, give me a ring. We're in San Pedro and the car culture here (as well as the Mexican food) is amazing. And if you're real lucky, I might let you drive Lil Big Red down to the beach. Assuming that is, that you're no crazier than my Ozzie sailing friends.....:D

[​IMG]

(Oh yeah, and if you wanna do some shooting (and I know that deep down inside, every blue blooded Oztralian wants to), we can take ya down the road to a pretty decent indoor shooting range. We'll supply the bang-bangs....:rolleyes: )

5. CalGasser

CalGasser

NHRA museum in Pomona, Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake (Friday nights), Donut Shop earky morning cruise (can't remember exactly where in LA and if it's Sat. or Sunday) to name just a few. Maybe others can chime in and give more accurate directions and times. I'll be in Brisbane and Adelaide when you're here. Going to try and make the Eliminator's show at Beenleigh Showgrounds.

6. chromeazone

chromeazone

Stay out of Oklahoma and Watts, So.Central, etc.
    In fact I would stay on I-5 and just haul ass right through LA.
    Plenty of cars, rod shops and clubs in Huntington Beach and South to San D.
    Lock your car doors and hang on to your personal stuff (wallet in front pocket,
    etc.) It ain't like OZ, Mate !
    (I've been there, it's a beautiful country with beautiful people. My brother is an ex-patriot living in Brisbane for about 45 years.)
    Travel safe !

7. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

Head east ob I80... go to Bonneville.

8. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

Santa Cruz/Capitola Saturday mornings at Starbucks on 41st street - get together.
    September 21st in N. San Diego county - Moonlight Beach, Wavecrest woodie show.
    This is the largest woodie show in the country.
    Donut deralicks Saturday morning get together in Huntington beach.

9. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

Nothing says So Cal surfing & car culture like a fricken woody car show. ^This^ is a definite must see......

10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Nethercutt museum, do not miss it.
    You've got to book though, it's free.
    Peterson museum is another good one.

11. jeffro37

jeffro37

Thanks for all the great advice have heard donut derelicts is a must see! Will try and check out the woody show sounds really cool. What would you recommend to go to on the Friday night Garden Grove or Escondido? Would love to go to Bonneville as have helped with building 3 salt bikes for here but just not enough time :( Thanks RickyB for the offer sounds like fun and yes most aussies like to shoot stuff. Thanks for all the other advice and keep it coming I don't want to miss out on anything that I may be able to see.

12. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

Petersen Automotive museum 6060 Wilshire Los Angeles 3239302277 non automotive if you are in to nature I would say giant sequoias trees north of los angeles south of san Francisco

Attached Files:

13. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I had to ad this pic

Attached Files:

14. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Wow. Dare to dream.

15. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Come on now--- you gotta stop in and Visit Alex Gambino !!!! Gambino Kustoms in San Jose you will not be sorry you did ,, Great folks, great shop !!!

16. Benny_H

Benny_H

NHRA Museum isn't far from LA if you were that way inclined. Or the The Donut Derelicts. The NHRA museum was like a religious experience.

17. rolling blackout

rolling blackout

There's the Billetproof show in Antioch on the 21st

18. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I did Petersen Auto Museum (fordsum suggested) about 5 years ago, nice place! Took us about 2 hours to take in the bulk of it. I missed the NHRA museum in Pomona back in April, wish I could have caught it. You can just about throw a rock and find some kind of car culture around the L.A. area!!! Have a safe trip! :)

19. Rob68

Rob68

I grew up in San Jose just south of SF. If you like big burritos and tacos, hit the Taco Bravo in Campbell on your way down to LA. Its just of the 85 (a 101 bypass) and well worth it. Seriously!

20. Choptop

Choptop

Billetproof Nor-Cal: September 21, 2013
    17 years of blood, sweat and gears!! Billetproof is backwith one-of-a-kind events, live bands, great vendors, and the sickest 64 and prior do-it-yourself traditional rods, kustoms and motorcycles on the planet. We will be limiting attendance to 1000 vehicles, so register early! There will be no exceptions this year.

Billetproof Nor Cal – September 21, 2013
    Antioch Fairgrounds
    1201 West Tenth St.
    Antioch, California

Just across the bay from SF. A short drive.

21. 54popular

54popular

22. toml24

toml24

Very cool museum is the:<O:p</O:p
    Automobile Driving Museum<O:p</O:p
    610 Lairport Street<O:p</O:p
    El Segundo, CA. 90245<O:p</O:p
    (310) 909-0950<O:p</O:p
    Tuesday-Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm<O:p</O:p
    This is a non-profit facility. Admission is by the generosity of your donation at the door.<O:p</O:p
    Also,<O:p</O:p
    Donut Derelicts<O:p</O:p
    A FREE car show in Huntington Beach, CA, every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Located at Adams and Magnolia. Best FREE car show on the West coast.