Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building your own steel wheels....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Does anybody know a source for bare steel 16" rims? I don't mean complete wheels, just the outer rim, no center. I've looked in vain for these, and the various wheel vendors don't offer what I'm looking for.

And how about widening rims? Anybody done this at home? Any tips/pitfalls?

2. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Try contacting wheel kid here on the board, he and his father are the owners of Rally America http://www.rallyamerica.com/Rally_America_Home__BIJ5.php
    They are great guys - I had a set of custom made wheels made by them for the rear of my truck, if any one can help they can.

3. txturbo

txturbo

Those are known as "hoops"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I think that Coker sell bare rims.

Rex

5. This is all you need to know. Jimmy knows his chit!:D

6. scott51

scott51

7. I know I can probably find someone to build a set for me, but I'm pretty sure I won't like the cost....

I'll try these sources, thanks!

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is MRT still in business?

9. Weasel

Weasel

Have you done this before? Do you have the right equipment? I cannot imagine that this is either easy or cheap to do and you might just be better off going to Wheelkid or another wheel manufacturer - there are certain things where safety is paramount and wheels are one of them. I have had 16" wheels made by a couple of vendors and I am about to have some original 16" centers mated to modern hoops. I felt the cost was very reasonable and I am not sure how you think you are going to save by attempting it yourself? These things need to be set up precisely and trued and checked for both horizontal and vertical runout....

10. I've got a lathe, press and the precision tools to do the setup. I've reversed wheels way in the past, this ain't my first rodeo.....

11. Can't speak for him regarding outright sale but Jimmy has access to the hoops. I think thats what you are looking for.

12. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Jimmy or Garry are going to be the ones you want to talk to about the hoops.

13. 1Bad67

1Bad67

14. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I can get you whatever you need, but it may be a little harder than you think. Give me a call at 559-322-2128
    Thanks
    Jimmy

15. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I can't speak about 16" hoops but I just did my own 15" wheels for my 48 plymouth. I split the hoops of the original rims and ground down and punched out the rivets. I bought a set of hoops from speedway for $38 each and pressed the centers into the hoop. I used my trusty $12 dial indicator to get the runout on the rims to .020 on one side and .025 on the other (laterally) and the vertical runout was almost nil, less than .010. Backspacing set at 2 1/2" to fit my car perfectly. I then welded in the rivet holes to secure it. I ground my own wide whites from the tires I already have and for about $100 I now have the look I want.
    [​IMG]

You can do it. Just take your time, double and triple check your measurements before cutting or welding.