Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BUBBLE TOP'61 Buick front '61 Olds rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INTRUDER, Aug 29, 2013.

1. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Building a fame off '61 Olds Dynamic 88.
    Recently started thinking about how good the '61 Buick front end looks.
    Hmmmm...
    Has anyone built a hybrid Buick/Olds custom?
    Somewhere, sometime ago I remember thinking seeing one in a dark red/maroon color.
    Either in a museum or private collection.
    i have taken preliminary measurements and the numbers seem to add up.
    The body line are VERY close. now to find a door and a fender for research.
    I'm in Chicago so If anyone has a '61 Buck Bubbletop that I can take close up pictures and measurements, please contact me.
    I have a love/ hate with my imagination. Today, I'm lovin' it!

Attached Files:

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

OHHHHHH the possibilities, I think you are on to something there!!!

3. Both are extremely nice body styles and it's nice to see something different from the much heralded Chevrolet of the same vintage. Both make beautiful mild customs. In fact all three, as well as the Pontiac look super-slick. Good luck if go forward with the project. A bit of photo-shopping might be appropriate before proceeding.

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Those body styles do it for me---wow.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Shouldn't be too hard to pull off, they are probably the same body shell. I agree that the Olds grill set-up is pretty awful, looks like someone with their teeth punched in. I'm building one and that was the first thing to change!
    Good luck with your project!

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

A quickie...

[​IMG]

7. Whoa.. that rocks. Skylarks, Loose the portholes, shave hood, keep the olds centreline & bring the Buick beltline down.. keep it Olds..

8. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Dreaming of it all night long ..woke up to my dream! WOW
    I'm in love.
    If I asked nicely, would you do a better photo shop?
    thank you

9. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Wow!!!!, the lines of the Buick front clip really moimic the rear of the Olds. Very cool. 2 of my all time favorite body styles. Always loved the rear view of the Olds and front of the Buick too. Do it for sure.

10. Looks like a javelin (not the AMC). Big work with a big attractive result. Thanks for sharing!

11. metalman

metalman

I had the same thoughts when I had my 61 Olds. I though the Buick front end mimicked the Olds rear a lot.

12. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

General motors in their early design meeting, called for each division of GM to do one car of each line with an "Organic" theme. The bubble tops were born.
    The Chevy was a WASP ..
    the side panels were wings and the rear trunk was a stinger.
    Pontiacs were big cats, Leopards, Lions etc. Look at the side profile they look like they are about to pounce.
    Oldsmobile was a SHARK.
    fins are low and spread out,at the front the vertical chrome piece just behind the bumper represent shark gills. and the front grill are Mako shark teeth.
    Forgot what the Buicks were.

13. John D did it 5 or 6 years ago.

14. greybeard360

greybeard360

I agree, the front of the Buick fenders mirrors the tail of the Olds from the side. Only problem I see is the difference in the width of the indention down the side of each car. I like the narrower one on the olds myself. Maybe graft the front of the fenders to the olds... not the whole fender. See how the front of the hood compares on both cars, maybe use the Buick hood/grille.

This would be a real sharp car !!!

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sorry....lame. You are going to build a car that just does not look right. And the car will become almost unsellable. I've seen 61/62 Impala hybrids, 1969 Camaro/Firebird and they look lame. Of course, this is only my opinion. :cool:

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

Well, hell.... if it would be UNSELLABLE, why bother... ?!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Best looking 56 Chevrolet I ever saw was one that had a complete 55 front clip on it. Just my opinion and sure others will disagree.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Are you looking at the 'same' picture as me?
    Unsellable ........Thats where I'm screwing up!! Damn!! :mad: Oh well I guess I'll have to keep my 'unsellable' cars :eek:

19. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

forgettabout it!..........................and sell it to me! I love '61's and the buick frontend rocks too.

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

******yep!!!!!******

21. The problem I see is,the top of the Buick fender and door is flatter/horizontal,whereas the Olds door and rear fender area is more verticle. I'm not seeing a smooth transition.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

OK, OK!!! Sorry about the unsellable comment. You are right, I don't build cars for the resell factor. Build it for what you want. START THE BUILD!!!!

23. Studebaker, which way's it goin? "61 GM hdtps are hard to beat for looks right outa the box but your prototype ain't bad at all!

24. Stylee

Stylee

Five to ten years ago, if I remember correctly, Rod and Custom magazine had an artist's rendering of a '61 Oldsmobile with a '61 Buick front end.

25. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

I agree, the profile of the Buick front end looks like it belongs more than the original Olds front end providing you can blend the lines below the belt line.

26. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

it always starts with..
    Hey, what if...?

27. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

So how is this project going? Updates?

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's a good idea.

But honestly I think the leftover remnants of the Buick and Oldsmobile would make a better looking car.

29. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Hmm, very interesting. I'm really considering this.....

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an imaginative guy myself, but I'm not feeling this one. I know the topic is old but my 1st view of it. Of the two Buick is best. The front and the back work so well together. The Olds is no slouch either. While the front seems to abrupt it too has some neat features like the Oldsmobile letters standing up and such. The tail on the Olds flows so well, like the perfect prom date in the perfect dress. Sometimes they get it right and I'm of the opinion that either one is perfect fodder for mild kustom work. I was always a big fan of the 62 Chevy version, but the 61 won my eye with the "cans" coming out of the front fenders for the lights and the continuous line around the outer periphery. The Pontiac? A felony to change anything! Probably the best of the 4. You may notice how any wheel over 16" tends to visually raise the top. Ever see that? Do a google image search and look at the difference on those "rollin dubs" vs a period mag or poverty cap. It's a real trick for the eyes.