Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Neal East doing these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modernbeat, Oct 8, 2004.

1. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Neal was mentioned in the Doan Spencer topic. I was wondering what's he has been up to. I haven't heard anything from him since he wrecked his "Rocky Mountain Low". At the time he said he'd build another car with some of the parts salvaged of the modified, but it's been all quiet on the East-ern front.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 53burb

53burb

The last time that I saw Neal is when he was running the Automotive book store out here in Burbank on Magnolia Blvd. That is where I bumped into Jay Leno. Helluva guy. Neal was really down to earth. KNUX

3. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    Neil East is running Colorado Car Books in Denver,Building a 32 5-Window with his son and rebuilding his modified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup-5501 South Broadway, Littleton - (303) 762-8595

4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

what happened to his modified? He has quite a history. I have heard of his store. Next time I am in colo. I plan on looking that place up.

5. Steve, does Neal still have his '32 Panel delivery? Tell him I said hi next time you see him.

Dennis

6. Neal rolled the mod a couple years back. I forget all the details, we had a thread here about it. Sad thing, I love that car.

7. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I knew all about the book store. I was wondering if he had made any progress on the new modified or what other projects might have sidetracked him.

Eighth hand version of the wreck that I heard was that Neal fell asleep at the wheel coming back form the Roadster Show in SF. Neal claimed the extensive interior framework inside the body saved him.

8. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I know I am a little belated, glad ta here he is ok. Gawd I love that car

9. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Anyone have an update on Neal?

10. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

He stops by the Denver Roadsters meetings every once in awhile.
    Has the Coleman coupe to drive around..
    Don't know him well enough to add much more.
    Shows up at the local Denver swaps....

11. RodP

RodP

Saw him last month at Pebble Beach Concours with his old friend Andy Southard.
    RodP

12. LewiSS

LewiSS
    from Denver, CO

Neal is enjoying "retirement" and still doing car things. I have seen pictures of Rocky Mountain Low after the resurection. All I can say is: how did they manage to improve on perfection? AMAZING! I'm looking forward to seeing it in the metal when it returns from Zip's (hopefully soon). It's virtually done except for a few pesky details.

Neal still has the Coleman Coupe. He also still has his '32 Delivery. He pulled the engine on the delivery to change the clutch a couple years ago and has been tinkering and detailing ever since. I have threatened to come over and help get the drivetrain back in, but each project in its own time!

Thanks all for asking about my good friend. I will pass on to him that his "fans" are still out there!

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I spoke with him in LA @ the Pomona Sheraton ( during the LA Roadster show ) He seemed healthy and HAPPY. :D :D

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neal helped out at registration with us at LAR show----Still same 'ol Neal!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

At the time I thought Old Cars Illustrated that Neal edited was the greatest magazine out there. It predated the internet, but had coverage of a lot of the same things we have here on the HAMB.

16. av8

av8

Hello, Rod. Haven't talked to you in years, since you left Sonoma County to return to your roots. Perhaps we'll cross paths someday and have time for a chat. For now, take care.

Mike Bishop

17. av8

av8

Please tell Neal that Mike Bishop says 'hello.'

18. LewiSS

LewiSS
    from Denver, CO

The resurected Rocky Mountain Low made its first appearance at the Grand National Roadster Show last month and did itself proud, bringing home best in class. I was hoping someone on the board that went had taken pictures of it. I will check with Neal to see if he has pics he would want to share with us here, and if so I will post them. I have to say, the "new" Low is an order of magnitude better than the old one, and the old one was pretty amazing! The "new" car is definitely the best of the best.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No need to look for pix...here it is at the Greybeard's show, Denver, CO, in November...

R-

[​IMG]

20. LewiSS

LewiSS
    from Denver, CO

Thanks! It's hard to appreciate the incredible detail in this car unless you see it in person. The matching teardrop trailer is a nice touch, and provides some much-needed cargo space that was totally missing in the original car. I predict this car will be out and about to many more shows this summer!

21. makiomoto

makiomoto

Sweet! I'm so glad that he's finished the car. I bought a Corvair off him about 5 years ago and he said the funds were going to go towards ressurecting RML. I really need to give him a call.

22. I saw him this past Saturday, he had just bought himself a mild custom '56 Ford two-door hardtop. It's his new late model car.

23. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I saw him today and here's the '56...

Attached Files:

24. Talked with Neal yesterday for near an hour. What a great guy. Had lots of neat stories about the Coleman Coupe that I now own. Neal sounds much younger than he is. Must be the Hot Rods:cool: I have been using the coupe for my daily driver. Hope it rubs off on me :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  25. Chevguy37

Chevguy37

He drove the car to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, KY. I did not get the opportunity to talk with him.

26. BigMikie

BigMikie
    from Taft,Cal.

I would like to talk to him about his trailer, how it is hitched to his car and where can I find someone that is good enough to do the top to my zipper like his..OH..and to find a heat shield for the exhaust, 2nd degree bun has finally healed after 6 weeks on my leg!!!
    $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG

Just Gary and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Neal just won "Best Bitchin" at GoodGuy's event in ColoRODo this weekend with his roadster and another award but I can't remember what it was...and he's driving his roadster to LARS Wednesday or Thursday of this week, maybe you can talk to him there...

R-

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  28. BigMikie

BigMikie
    from Taft,Cal.

I did not get to go to the show and ripped the oil pan out of ours leaving town!! Ran over the little cap that the semi trucks fill the under ground tanks with gas..! .but sure made the tow truck look good. Does anyone have a side shot of neals car with the top up? I am doing mine in 6 wks, thanks.
    Mike
    PS I ran over the underground tank filler cap at the gas station on the way out of town but shes fixed now and back home..

Attached Files:

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Visited with Neal at LAR show on Sunday, took some pix, yakked about our old times, car looks great after his episode.