Register now to get rid of these ads!

There Will Be Casualties...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamshumard

adamshumard

Thanks!

2. In the future we won't see builds like that of David (Hot Turkey) where the glass deuce is massaged to look like a traditional car? HRP

3. I tried to report this thread, got a fatal error and my computer shut down.;)

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If its interesting enough and done well enough, we will still have some sidebar threads. But cars with glass bodies won't be the norm.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As a guy that owns a bunch of off-topic stuff, I really dont get what the fuss is about. You can own all the 5.0 liters, Camaros, Dusters, Ducatis ect. you want. Just dont post them here. Its so simple.

6. Ryan,

I applaud your efforts to refocus. Back before the HAMB got launched, I tried my hand at launching a message board. Trying to keep the language "family friendly" was a pain in the butt and proved quickly to be more work than I ever wanted. I commend you for making this thing fly.

Thanks for letting me participate, despite my late model style radials.

bret

7. T-5 swaps and info are plenty on the net.
    T-5 to a flathead, few places for that info, the Hamb.

I'm sure there's lots more stuff that we as traditional rodders are almost forced to use or adapt that can't be considered traditional.

I've been really racking my brain, patience, and resources to make sure my build has only parts made prior to 1962. Sometimes it would be SOOOO much easier to make some easily found modern stuff work. I've broken the tight guideline to include reproductions of parts available in 1962 in order to move some things along.

I welcome the tighter hard ass moderation as there is only one place for traditional hotrods and customs - keep it pure as possible I say.

8. Larry T

Larry T

And, since I'm asking about "fringe" stuff, what about some traditional style (pre 65 make and style) motorcycle builds?

9. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

I don't make a lot of posts, but I do spend quite a lot of time here. I started messing with cars in the 50's and I still find out things I never thought of. Unfortunately the old car hobby has changed and I haven't. Make your changes it's bound to be for the good ! GO RYAN !

10. Funny you mention that. Ryan sold the Jockey Journal. We thought the sky was falling, but it just got better.

11. Airwolf

Airwolf

Another FNG here.

I can understand wanting to keep the HAMB as traditional as possible. I don't comment much, prefer to read and stay out of the drama. I guess in a way I'll be a casualty. I'm a 100% combat wounded disabled Vet. As the years have progressed, so have my disabilities. What I'm getting at is I have had to adapt to more "modernization" on my vehicles in order to still be able to drive them. I've built my share of traditional and customs. I've enjoyed them all and when it became apparent that my disabilities would keep me from enjoying my builds, I've started another - making "modern" changes that would allow me to keep driving them. I don't think that makes me any less of a traditional hot-rodder, just a person who wants to keep enjoying the old cars and trucks as much as I can.

But, as said by others, it's your forum to run as you see fit. Just a shame that more than one of us will be "casualties" again due to doing what we must to be able to enjoy what we have and what we do.

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

What? You didn't use the phrase "Stay Tuned"?

Must be some serious shiitake sauteing....

:)

13. 117harv

117harv

The membership here has allmost doubled in the last 4 years, here is a senario that happens often.

A car owner does a Google search for an answer to his question/dilema, a HAMB thread pops up with info on it, beit a thread title or a post on one. The answer he seeks is OT, a recent or past thread or post that slipped in, and may even be a closed thread has his answer. The person joins the site, and without reading the rules and thinks what he has found, info wise, is accepted here. He then starts a thread and shares text and even pics of his OT stuff, the bashing or cute remarks start, he defends himself, usually with name calling and then says something that gets him banned.

After being banned or not he starts bashing the HAMB on other forums or to anyone who will listen, and though only a few members chastized him we are lumped into one group of bad guys.

Would deleting more OT threads reduce the above problem?...just a thought

14. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Have you thought about having a like a bullshit forum were you could move all the off topic threads and let everyone talk shit and bash each other? Or is that FB? :)

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't it? Well, the definition of HAMB friendly got bumped, but no ones being asked to leave. Just stay on topic. I'm with you. Why is there such a problem?

Actually, I know why, but this site doesn't need 25 pages of crying and drama. Wait till the night crew rolls in.

16. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

x2 :D

17. Larry T

Larry T

Richard,
    I know Ryan doesn't own the Jockey Journal now. And the content of the Jockey Journal is primarily newer than 65.
    Just kind of curious about motorcycle content on this group.

18. 'Essence'.... LOL! Quoting Potter Stewart, 'I'll know it when I see it'.

Just out of curiosity, will this housecleaning extend to the 'social groups' as well?

19. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

ooooh leather bound...fancy ;)

Just like somebody else said, you've got to clean out the shop of clutter once in awhile

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ryan was right. This should have been a locked thread.

21. its_a_nick - The H.A.M.B. already has such an area ... checkout the Social Groups forums!

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd hate to see my "big hot rod thread" (hint - see avatar) go, but if it's for the better good, I'm still a believer. Should be interesting!

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The way I interpret the rules: rods and customs only. No motorcycles.

24. 66juiced

66juiced
    from Austin tx

Guess my truck will be traditional in another 20 years :(

25. But the Jap stuff is gone.

26. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

27. Larry T

Larry T

That was done while Ryan still owned the site.

I do remember that there was a little motorcycle content here before Ryan started the "other" JJ. Just wondering if it was gonna go back that way or not.

And curious about racecars (Anglias in particular) as far as year and being import.

I'm gonna shut up about it for right now and just wait and see. Don't wanna stir the pot too much.

28. I got so used to seeing them racing here in the States I kinda forgot they were imports.

29. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.